Offensive Avatars

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Giambattista, Apr 5, 2011.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

This discussion?

source: http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1795719&postcount=198

How does this imply that the swastika is on my avatar?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Nothing less than your best

No, actually, I think the avatar you remember was attached to someone else. That's all.

And reduced to a 60x60 avatar image?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I even cropped the image again to make the swatstikas more visible.

But seriously, man, I'm pretty sure I remember the avatar you're recalling, and no, it was not attached to S.A.M. I can actually promise you that.

Taking up a new career as a conspiracy theorist?

Are you writing my protocols, now?

I look forward to the full manual, when it's published.

In the meantime, next time I'll be polite than direct, wait for more than one response, and certainly give people more than twelve hours notice. (Oh, right, since all three of those links are consecutive posts, just jump to #133-135.)

(And I'll definitely check in with the administration about what constructive purpose there is in information deliberately leaked in order to create an uproar about a false pretense of threatened administrative action. Which is what this thread is. Of course, what's really weird is that even though Giambattista can be annoying, I actually feel badly for how he's been used in this case. To the other, it also means someone on staff finally put him to some good use. I just wish they would tell the other moderators when they're going to be pulling a stunt like this. Or maybe that's the point ... hmm ... I wonder if we'll actually be debriefed. Never mind; it's not like you'll ever know what's going on. Then again, it's not like you ever cared if you did.)

Of course you are. We wouldn't expect anything more less of you.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

Nope, 'cos I re-read the thread where I told SAM I thought her avatar was offensive. Maybe you should do some research instead of supplying your opinion.

I know what I saw matey, three years on doesn't alter what I saw back then.

You might be sure that's what you think but it's not what I know. Sorry.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Seeing is believing, but believing doesn't make it so.

You may honestly think you remember what you saw, but understand that over time, the human memory, being fallible like all human senses and functions, becomes flawed. Two separate incidents that were perhaps similar, and within approximately the same time frame for practical purposes, like say, within a few months of each other, may over time become confused.
    Since now the exact time, place, and other details have become fuzzy, the mind seeks closure and coherence in reconstructing the timeline, so it reaches for plausible memories or embellishments to fill in the gaps, and thus sometimes the brain eventually begins to equate two incidents which in reality were separate events.

You seem sincere. You are convinced that you remember what you saw, although others here are contesting the accuracy of your recall.

I'm not calling you a liar, but given the quirky, imperfect nature of human memory, me and my rational thinking friends over at the JREF forum cannot be entirely convinced by your singular anecdotal account, especially considering that you have at least one person (Tiassa) who disputes that account.
    I trust that you, of all people, would understand my reticence at putting my full faith and confidence behind your testimony.

This doesn't make you a bad person, or purposely deceptive. Far from it!
    It just means you're human, and subject to the vagarity of the sensory faculties and the mind.

Hope this helps.

8. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Back-room setup? I feel pleasantly victimized.

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe a conspiracy theory exists when official explanations and timelines are seen as problematic and full of holes? Or maybe that the official story is itself the definition of a conspiracy theory, but one that is lacking in substance and fact?
    Too off topic for this thread, I'll leave it at that.

I was told by James R in PM that I could keep the avatar if I wished to look like a "racist birther" but that it may at some point be removed. Is that necessarily "false pretense"?

:thankyou:

Tiassa, the elitist!

Explain stunt, if you would, please.
    And who is to blame in this instance? The one(s) who did the initial, probably racially tinged, complaining? The one who proffered the forced removal of the offensive avatar? The one who said something to me? The one who confirmed the possibility of forced removal?

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

And three years on doesn't change what happened at the time.

You are clutching at straws old boy, let it go. There is documented discussion on this very site to back up my claim. Go read it.

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I'm just sayin' ....

And some whores enjoy the work. It's not a bad thing. But I would also remind that as much as being used in such a manner might be taken to suggest you are important, it can equally suggest you're simply a dispensable, otherwise useless patsy.

Unfortunately, the investigation would stall because the only witness isn't cooperating. Maybe you should be pleased, but I can't draw a conclusion on that point one way or the other.

And in such cases, that's fine as far as it goes. But this one existed before anything resembling an official explanation was on the record.

Was that before, while, or after the little bird told you there was an issue?

Nah, just someone who, on the one hand, finds little use in your posts and, to the other, wonders why you were suspended for a Boehner joke.

I cannot at this time. Unfortunately, when I inquired, our only witness was not cooperative.

What I'm stuck with are a number of appearances that, in sum, seem suspiciously coincidental in their grouping and effect, but of themselves look like just another day at Sciforums.

That is, coincidental stupid outcomes happen around here on a fairly regular basis. I cannot at this time eliminate that possibility.

If only I had a reliable, cooperative witness.

11. Gustav Banned Banned

best not wonder out aloud......

thread on that topic

i like it
    what with your action notes and whatnot
    you are a model of restraint and fairness
    thank you

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  12. Gustav Banned Banned

pardon
    i am looking for a few good woo woos
    am i in the right place?
    or did i make a wrong turn?

13. Gustav Banned Banned

so ahh
    batissta
    answer me please
    you a selfhating homo?
    i mean, you got banned for homophobia, ja?

talk to me, my friend
    i can help

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  14. Gustav Banned Banned

calling all eyewitnesses

stringy string string's previous moniker depicted a sexual act
    what was it?

/for the lulz

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

16. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

That may well be, but recollection can change over time, for reasons I stated above. I'm sure you believe what you think you saw.

Could you repost that link or links here? I'll have a look.

17. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Is this how you elevate yourself in the morning, Tiassa, by suggesting people such as myself are unimportant, useless patsies? Are you so cold, that you construct a sort of straw man out of my supposed inflated sense of self-importance, only to set fire to it to keep warm?

Just after. I was seeking confirmation, and received every bit I could possibly desire.

Was it Boner? Or did I call Lindsey Graham something naughty? Maybe YOU could clear up which it was.

What dost thou hint at? You feel a controversy was targeted at you?

18. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Not so fast, Tiassa. I AM important enough to be on Spookz.com.

Nay. Not in the least.
    But I think people may be confused at which post it was exactly that got me branded a homophobe.
    I don't think it had to do with Boehner and gayface.
    This is the post that James R flagged http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=2720480#post2720480

What kind of services do you offer? Are these competitive rates? I'm not made of money.

Thank you, Enmos, for the most on topic link this thread has to offer. I will use this to my advantage next time I dare converse with you in your native gibberish.

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I guess it was the f@ggot remark, and other notes

Actually, I'm just proving to myself the futility of adopting other people's colloquial attitudes. Don't worry about it.

Ah, it might have been the Graham thing. Or was that all in the same string of posts? Whichever one you called a faggot, though. Graham, I think.

Nah, not at me. A blatant maneuver didn't work back in November. A pathetic maneuver didn't work recently. It would be too soon to set up something this subtle having to do with me.

Well, maybe not subtle. But that's the thing. There are only a couple of potential sources for the facts. One I cannot expect honesty of. The other, you, can't give a useful answer unless it is specifically petitioned of you according to whatever arcane protocols move you to grace us with your benevolence.

Or, since you take such paragraphs so gravely, I'll simply say that I can understand the need to protect your little bird. But the lack of that detail pretty much closes the book; there's nothing else I can do except chalk up yet another slightly twisted but largely inconsequential episode in the annals of Sciforums.

20. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Arcane protocols... I'll wear that one with dignity and pride.

You suspect a conservative leaning rival who has it in for you?

What if I told you it was actually a magical, talking bird?

Since the behind-closed-doors scheming of the mod forum is potentially bad for any informants, I feel it wouldn't be right to blabber.
    I was told that there was grumbling, and possible retribution for my Obama Hitler avatar, nothing more nothing less. I then confirmed with James R.
    Unless there is something I'm missing, the person doesn't harbor any ill will towards you. No names were mentioned, just the controversy at hand.

But it's nice that we can have this adult conversation.

Thank you for playing.

21. Gustav Banned Banned

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

(Insert title here)

Indeed. I actually recognize and sympathize with the sentiment.

Hardly. In point of fact, that scenario never had anything going for it.

Well, then I'd have to chuckle at the lie, and you might complain about the accusation of dishonesty, and if history has any suggestions, it might be that the situation would deteriorate steadily after that.

Aye.

I don't know about grumbling and retribution, but it was oddly timed that the question came up, and then the public thread.

Generally speaking, you might or might not have noticed me haranguing some of my colleagues over the inconsistency of our standards. This thread followed, and is connected to, at least three back-room issues involving your name. I'm trying to figure out what it is you've done to become so important in that context, or if you're just someone's tool in something else entirely.

I don't know whether to call it sad, or unsettling, or whatever, and it doesn't involve only you and me; but I have noticed a trend by which this community seems to get along better the less pretentiously we waste kilobytes.

I mean, this part of the thread, the questions about little birds and such, is so inconsequential that even if I had every piece of data I've considered and desired, it wouldn't make any practical difference.

If we throw in a pretense of importance, what are the odds that we'd be at each other's throats? And sure, we can leave that as a rhetorical question, if you wish.

23. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Im a random nobody piece of shit speck in the virtural world of sciforums but if I was prince I would say that Tiassa and SAM (Had to edit her in cant believe I forgot) is the fairest of them all !!!!