Offensive Avatars

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Giambattista, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

It seems your recollection may be flawed.

http://sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1796488&postcount=272
    Which was made the day after you made this post:
    http://sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1794355&postcount=11
    From elsewhere on the forum at the same time:
    http://sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1807714&postcount=46

Presumably refering to Tiassa's post above, and the conversation preceeding it over the previous few pages.

Also from elsewhere in the forums, within a few days of your public complaint:
    http://sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1813692&postcount=76

Previous to this, Norsefire and Kadark had both been using hitler avatars, and there had been discussion around requesting them to remove them, but Plazma deemed (at that point anyway, IIRC) that they couldn't be forced to change it because of freedom of expression, even though Bell's and Asguard had both been (recently?) forced to change their Avatars.

Incidentally - don't get me started on the reliability of eyewitness accounts, especially so long after the fact.

In 2009, you bought it up in some other discussion:
    http://sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2311498&postcount=24

At which point Tiassa pointed out/suggested that it was intended as a parody or commentary of the events at the time (regarding Norsefire, Kadark, and the associated discussion):
    http://sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2311547&postcount=29

But at that point, both you and Tiassa referred to it as the 'hitler' avatar, and mention of the fact that it was a bobble head had been lost. And through the natural progression of time and memory we arrive at the current situation, where because it has been historically refered to as 'the hitler avatar' and because there were people using Actual hitler avatars at the time, you've convinced yourself that it was S.A.M. using an actual avatar rather than a bobble head avatar, and won't be convinced of anything else (and in so doing quite beautifully illustrate why the first thing I was taught on the job was 'write everything down').

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

pfft
    this here is the internets, old man
    we do screenshots around these parts

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

You young whippersnappers! You're all the same! Why I oughta.... (incomprehensible ramble but something about walking 10 miles a day across broken glass to arrive at the coal mine 3 hours before you left and work 28 hours a day and be fed your own entrails by your father)

:itold:

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

8. Gustav Banned Banned

hmm
    i wonder what phlog is up to

oh
    carry on

/retreats hastily

9. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Gustav has disembarked upon his yacht, seeing fit for the time being to sail with the prevailing winds of Giambattista's sexual preferences.

The seas are relatively calm. Just stay away from the mermaids. I do.

In the interests of the interested party(s), I usually wouldn't post PM material, but as it an infraction/banning is legitimate SERIOUS!

mad: :deal

Sciforums beezwax...

With love.

In context. Witness mine hand of madness.
    http://sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=2720480#post2720480

There we go. Lindsey Graham must be protected from evil homo-cidal homophobes like myself.

10. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

May we live in interesting times.:cheers:

And here you go again, complaining about my alleged "ego stardom"! Seems I'm more popular than even I know.
    At least three backroom issues?
    Please unleash a minor torrent of hints. :shh:
    I couldn't possibly imagine what exactly these issues or controversies could entail.

Seriously, I'd like to know as well.

One or two pages of honest, if not angrily divisive, political grievances, then equals twice as many pages of something or other like this "Avatar" thread.
    It's enjoyable, I think. But I's soo queer like that.

If you could explain this "pretense of importance"... ballet is enjoyable as well.
    Is this that sense of self-importance I mentioned above? This invention of yours that you have many times recently ascribed to me and my motivations?

11. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Give me the Scepter of Moderation, and I'll show you fairness!

12. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

You see, I tried to explain that to him. I shouldn't have to, because I know how he feels about anecdotal evidence and all that. I figured maybe he needed a reminder.

At this point, I think, pending some hard physical evidence, that Phlogisitician perhaps open a thread in the Pseudoscience forum.

Oh, this bears repeating.. I came across this link to a refereed, peer-reviewed journal. This might be helpful.
    (1) the Inherent Unreliability of Eyewitness Testimony - Dr Phlog p123-p245

13. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

That wasn't doctored.

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

No, it was changed to the bobblehead after I complained. It may have been changed quickly, but that doesn't change the fact that it was not the bobblehead I was complaining about originally.

I recall have an PM from JamesR saying SAM had now changed her avatar, and that I replied along the lines that parodying it wasn't exactly 'fluffy and nice' or somesuch.

Check out some of the discussion about the avatar in question, there is discussion of the 'Swastika' which is clearly present on the picture I think she cropped, but not on the bobblehead she alleges she used solely.

Also, do you really think that I'd have kicked off about a bobblehead? Seriously mate, have a long hard think about that. While I don't think a bobblehead is funny, it's not in the same league as using an actual photograph.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do you have the PM? Because on principle alone I would not change anything "quickly" especially when I am making a point. It is simply contrary to my personality - when anyone pushes me, I push back. I did not change the Hitler avatar either until I had made my point, quite laboriously as I recall. I also recall dismissing your whine about your family by telling you about British atrocities on Indians. Plus, I consider you to be a hypocrite, so I am unlikely to do you any favours.

I can only recall one time that I stepped down from a point I was making - when I wrote a user title in German - and this was ONLY due to Plazma's intervention. And I was still banned by James R because it wasn't quick enough for him [he gave me some wacky time limit which I ignored - I was shortly after unbanned by Plazma]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

How about a vagina with teeth, does that count?

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Notes on Something

I believe in Bells' and Asguard's cases, it had to do with moderator status. Indeed, Plazma himself has changed his avatar in response to objections.

And I have to thank you, Trippy. I know it sounds stupid, but in exploring this issue, I don't think I ever once thought to search the term bobblehead.

I mean ... phuck!

Thank you for remembering the obvious, which this time proved elusive to me.

And thank you for that nostalgic wandering. I'm very nearly struck by the familiarity of ... well, I guess 2008.

18. Gustav Banned Banned

dont blame ya buddy
    i mean.....

/salivate

19. Gustav Banned Banned

this will be a major issue in a few years so.......what was it

/snicker

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Where's Elvis?

Well, here I'm pushed up against confidentiality boundaries and also trying to formulate clues that don't read like a tacit indictment.

But there was your suspension.

Right after you got back, of course, was the test-marketing discussion, which resulted in one of my colleagues trying to chastise me over a bizarre interpretation of the discussion contrasted against the fact of your return.

And then a colleague raises the avatar issue, which essentially had everyone scratching their heads. Some of my fellows felt your intention with the avatar was a deliberate attempt to troll, goad, and inflame. The it's-your-right-to-make-yourself-look-like-a-racist-idiot counterpoint, however, is longstanding and the nearest thing to a practical standard we have on the subject.

Suddenly, there is a public thread, and you are (understandably, under the circumstances) cautious about giving up your leak source.

I don't know specifically what you asked James; I don't know specifically how he responded. But at some point, you had your confirmation that the question had arisen. And we now have the public thread.

Indeed, if you check Trippy's response to S.A.M. earlier in this thread—to which you took exception—I would suggest part of his outlook that you disagree with is based in the back-room process I'm describing.

But, as you noted in #29:

"I wasn't being terribly serious, and I don't care all that much ....

.... I was just mentioning it sarcastically, not crying, like Trippy seems to think.
    "​

Part of Trippy's perception was based on the fact that someone took you very seriously in the back room, and immediately on the heels of that strange episode we get the back-room question about your avatar, and then someone leaks to you the fact that such a thread exists, and we end up with the public discussion.

The only thing that tells us this thread wasn't an intended outcome for some arcane purpose is that nothing about it would make sense in that sort of deliberate context. That is, the guiding hands would need to have left the building—and the galaxy—some time ago.

It's just a strange sequence of events. Thus:

Well, yeah. It's just ... strange. Even compared to the usual strangeness around here.

And as long as we're on the subject, have you idea where the word "queermo" comes from? I mean, I get it, and how it's used, and all that, but whence comes it? A lot of the really stupid words my generation knows (e.g., dillhole) have obscure etymologies that I can actually comprehend, but I have no idea what the "mo" is in "queermo".

But ...

... all I mean is to look at us. We're just "shooting the shit", maybe even folding our colored bandanas for our back pockets at this point. I don't know. But the underlying discussion of offensive avatars is long dead, and has been even before the administrative interest in this thread was known to us.

But I throw a silly line at you—something about whores and patsies—and you ask the obvious question with that hint of self-righteous melodrama, and I give a flippant wave of the hand: Don't worry about it.

And then we're off, meandering through a boneyard that doesn't even equal a skeleton of a conspiracy theory, and having a gay old fine time about it.

But stick in some moronic carny in North Carolina and his "shoot the alien president" game, or whatever the hell it was when you went all douchey LaRouchey on us ....

That's what I mean by a pretense of importance. If we're eyeball to eyeball about something symbolic—the price of gas, the Libyan adventure, or whatever—we could probably still be just as flippant and relaxed in how we address each other, but we would perceive each other much more gravely.

Actually, no. That's a manner and tone about your argumentative method. We all do it to some degree. Like any generally human trait, it's just more or less pronounced in people according to diversity. Compared to some people, you're a minor diva. Compared to others, not so much. When I raise the point with people, there are various reasons why. People's sense of self-importance is one of the major distractions around here.

21. Gustav Banned Banned

queermo is the mother of all faggots
    a superfag
    fudgepacker extraordinaire

queer+homo=queermo

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Dumpid penickallscrot

Oh. Like a gay fag.

Well, there we go. I guess I need to start accounting for redundancy in American neologism.

So, then, if I think Rep. Boehner is a dumb dick, does that mean I can call Rep. Ryan a dumb-dumb dick-dick?

A dumpid penickallscrot?

Dude, redundancy is fun.

Yeah, I actually forget that, sometimes.

And, yeah, you gotta be careful with it. I mean, a donut-biting pillow-puncher would be kind of a scary fuckscrew riseup.

Anyway, thank ye, sir.

23. Gustav Banned Banned

/giggle

please foia all private communications b/w james and phlog
    by gad sir!
    we shall get to the bottom of this!