Ocd

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by cauflomieldan, Dec 30, 2002.

1. cauflomieldan Registered Member

How does one get out of obsessive-compulsive disorder? The strangest thing about it is that you know it makes no sense, you know who you really are and yet something just keeps bothering you. Only Time makes the anxiety go away and sometimes it can take a while. It feels like some chemical is either underproduced, overproduced, or tangled up in your brain or something. Things get stuck and they won't get out. It's weird...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Seek professional help. It must first be determined what causes the behaviour. No one here is qualified to do that. The causes are varied and the treatments are also. Only licensed practitioners may prescribe what you will most likely need.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

ocd is pretty tricky
    the more u tell yourself not 2 do somthing, the more u end up doing it.
    itll take a real good therapist 2 interup thos patterns.
    if ur good u can do it urself but thats real difficult especially if u kno little about human operent behavior.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. silver Registered Senior Member

I agree seek a professional opinion. They are qualified to
    identify OCD characterics and offer assistance which can help you to change behaviors.

8. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

you have to want to over come it first off.

i know someone who spends all their time thinkng about how their ocd ruins their life, and makes excuses for themselves, and they let it completely control them.

If you are not on medication for it, it is probably best to try to overcome it on your own, and without medication, before getting your body dependant on something..
    if you are on medication, talk to your doctor about when the best time would be to begin removing yourself from the medication, and steps to take in becoing more indepedant without it. but make sure that you are ready for each step you take.

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

The latest theory is that your disorder is caused by an imbalence in the production of serotonin - thus causing persistant feelings of unease and anxiety. You attempt to make your enviornment more calming by controlling it to extremes.

See a good psychiatrist, they have medications and talk-therapies for it.

Good luck.

10. mickyhowells Registered Member

I had OCD I think

I think that I used to have OCD, I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder and depression aswell, but im not sure about OCD because i never told my psych about it.
    I used to have a voice in my head that told me terrible things, I fought against it, and I usually overcame it, but it really caused a lot of distress. I also had to count everything that I was carrying, or I had with me, continuously. I think I have overcome the whole thing, just with time, but occasionally i will get something in my head that i cant get out.

I took prozac for the depression for a while, and keflex, but i suddenly just stopped taking them both, and i'm feeling really good, i wasnt addicted or anything.

But I suggest you go to a psychologist to see what its all about.

11. kirstykiwi Registered Senior Member

Hi Mickeyhowell.
    You may have a dual diagnosis, as with OCD one doesn't hear 'voices'.
    OCD are thoughts images and impulses that intrude into your councious.
    It is a fact that a person with OCD never carries out their thoughts, as they will 'resist'. If they can't resist they will carry out a compulsion that relieves their anxiety.
    Nightfall, be nice to your friend, as honestly, is is the worst disorder to have. Depending on the severity, there is no free-will with OCD. People with OCD usually drive everyone else mad, 'asking, telling, confessing etc'. All part of the illness.

12. Abnak Registered Senior Member

I don't dismiss the fact that some people suffer from problems ... however, there is a multi-Billion dollar industry that inflates and concocts the criteria for labeling "disorders" ... misdiagnosing thousands , and over-prescribes dangerous chemicals in order to make a profit . Every person who seeks help from these profesionals should be aware of the fact that not all are honorable . They are motivated primarily by profit .

If taking a SSRI ( selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor ) ...please read all that you can about the risks and also that these have been demonstrated to as effective as placebos .

Be carefull ! The drug Luvox® for example has listed as a " frequent adverse effect " ..... " Manic and Psychotic reactions " .

13. mickyhowells Registered Member

What would the voices in my head have been then?

14. wantknoght Registered Member

I believe I have a mild case of Tourette's Syndrome, with accompanying OCD symtoms. I choose not to take anything for it, due to concern about possible side effects. However, I do have some theories to share.

A person under the influence of LSD might become obsessed with an ant crawling across the floor. To me, that sounds suspiciously like OCD. Serotonin in involved in OCD, and LSD. This suggests to me that an extreme case of OCD might actually be capable of causing hallucinations.

A serotoni reuptake inhibitor, such as Prozac, isn't normally prescribed for hallucinations, but it might actally be effectve, if a person is hallucinating for that reason.

This focus on minute details can actually be good for mathematical reasoning, while making it difficult to develop social skills. You focus on the details, and miss the big picture.

It's not an all or nothing proposition. There is a continuum, and we all lie somewhere on that continuum. I believe men tend to be further in that direction than women, which can explain why men tend to outperform women in mathmatical tasks, while underperforming them in the area of social skills.

Men are also more prone to developing fetishes than women are. That makes sense, because a fetish is an obsession. We might also consider paranoia, which is an obsesion with a threat, the kind of obsession that leads to stalking, or even an obsession with stamp collecting. Each of these may be just different manifestations of the same underlying biological problem.

15. technicpeach Registered Member

16. kirstykiwi Registered Senior Member

With respect to you Cam.., a fetish is not an obsession at all.
    True obsessions are terrible thoughts, that are ego-dystonic (goes against a persons beliefs).
    Often people will describe hobbies etc as 'obsessions', but it is different in that the person loves their hobby or collection.
    Also it is not correct in saying that a 'stalker' has OCD. A true person with OCD who is 'obsessed' would probably go to all lengths to 'avoid' the object of their affection, and replace it with a compulsion unrelated.
    Just replace the word "Obsession" with the word "Worry" and you have OCD.
    It is a fascinating subject to study. People who suffer OCD are usually perfectionists, worriers, sensitive, intelligent and with a very strict concience, which is why these thoughts, images and impulses cause such great Anxiety.

17. kirstykiwi Registered Senior Member

18. Abnak Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the link kirsty . Checking where the financial backing for many of these organizations comes from , leads the researcher to arrive at a rather predictible conclusion ....many are just front groups for Big Pharma .

e.g. Obsessive-Compulsive Foundation of Western Pennsylvania says ..."In appreciation to the following organizations and corporations for supporting our mission: Sovay "

Sovay is the maker of Luvox® .

Fluvoxamine

Central Nervous system , Potential adverse effects ( Actual quote from the Physician Desk Reference )

Frequent : amnesia , apathy , hyperkinesia , manic reactions , myoclonus , psychotic reaction .

Infrequent : agoraphobia , akathisia , ataxia , CNS depression , delirium , delusions , depersonalization , drug dependence , dyskinesia , dystonia , emotional lability , euphoria , extrapyramidal syndrome , unsteady gait , hallucionations , hemiplegia , hostility , hypersomnia , hypochondria , hypotonia , hysteria , incoordination , increaced salivation , neuralgia , paralysis , paraniod reaction , phobia , psychosis , sleep disorder , stupor , twitching , vertigo .

Rare : akinesia , coma , fibrillations , mutism , obsessions , decreased reflexes , slurred speech , tartive dyskinesia , torticollis , trismus , withdrawal syndrome .

Question : how come these side effects are not listed on their web page ?

19. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I do not claim to know a lot about the human mind, but have made some observations over the years.

Many types of neurotic or psychotic behavior are extremes of certain normal and successful behavior. Obsessive/Compulsive behavior is an exaggeration of some very good behavioral traits. A person with no such tendencies at all would not be able to due much more than dig ditches if somebody cracked a whip on him to force him to do his job.

The following is a subjective appraisal, but I think it gets my point across. On an OCB scale of 0 to 100, I consider myself to be about 60-70 , with 70-80 being a bit weird, but able to cope, 80-90 having some serious problems, and 90-100 being almost totally dysfunctional.

I was a successful programmer and general problem solver due to being able to ignore the world around me for hours at a time while I concentrated on a task at hand. To this day, I have to be prodded to come to dinner if I am reading an interesting book. I have often wasted a lot of time pondering over some unimportant puzzle, causing problems with my job and friends. A bit more, and I might not have been able to hold a job or have friends. A bit less and I might not have been as successful as I was.

I was successful in sports and card playing due to being some what obsessive/compulsive, not only in training and practicing, but also in reading about the sports/cardplay that interested me. OCB is not all that bad if not extreme.

I had various problems in my teens and solved them by observing and copying the behavior of the more socially successful people I knew. I was told that solving psychological problems this way would result in repression of the causes and major problems later, probably a complete breakdown. Making an effort to change my behavior without attacking the causes worked for me. It might work for you. I do not know how others viewed me, but I felt as though I changed from a social clod to a well liked successful person over a period of about two years: Last year of high school and first year in college.

While professional help is likely to be a good idea, it is possible to modify the way you deal with your social environment without such help. This assumes that you recognize that you have a problem.

The trick is to not try for an over night cure. Start by convincing yourself to act like other people a little bit at a time. If you spend two hours in some OCB activity, try to cut it down to 100 minutes without thinking of the change being a cure. It is merely one step in the direction of pretending to be like other people. Do not worry about being different in your mind, just try to act more normally.

In the long run, you have to change both the way you think internally and the way you behave, but you can start working on either part of the problem. For me working on the behavior first was easier than changing the way i felt inside.

I always claimed that if I thought I was Napoleon the emperor and it got me into a lot of trouble, I would start lying and telling everybody that I was Guv the programmer. If I kept it up long enough, I might forget that I was really Napoleon.

If you are not too close to the bad end of the scale, pretending to be normal a little bit at a time can work.

20. cauflomieldan Registered Member

Thanks for your remarks and replies, I appreciate it. I find a certain fact very interesting and it also relates to me.

21. kirstykiwi Registered Senior Member

Cam, There's always been the 'nurture vs nature' debate. I think it's probably a bit of both.
    Part of the condition IS to repress the thoughts etc. People with OCD are very good at hiding the illness and it won't affect their work etc unless it gets severe, in which case people flunk school, and resign from work.
    Today, fortunately people do not need to be ashamed of these things, and it is so important to destigmatise and talk about it without being ridiculed.
    I think it's so cool that you can get on a public forum and talk about it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Abnak Registered Senior Member

OCD , GAD ...XYZ

Drug-pushing hucksters . Psychiatry is for the most part a pseudo-science . It is entirely opinion .... like "little johnny has OCD , he is constantly playing video games , not listening to his parents and doesn't do his homework " .

When neurology rightly seperated itself from psychiatry , the big drug companies came to the shrinks rescue . Now through manipulation of public opinion and outright fabrication , these arch-phrenologists have clouded young minds with concocted "diseases" ... offering damaging chemicals and a disingenuous helping hand , so that they can reap profit and facilitate social control .

23. kirstykiwi Registered Senior Member

Abnak. Yes I know. There are names for everything these days. For example, what the heck is 'Conduct disorder'?? The DSM 5 is enough to make one paranoid as you can basically make any of those disorders fit anyone.
    I saw a documentary on these medication companies where they offer doctors huge incentives, cruises etc, just to purchase their product. Bit scary in my opinion.
    How did people cope 100's of years ago.? Perhaps we live in a wimpy society now?