Obvious Fables in the Holy Books

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Ted Grant II, Jan 8, 2017.

1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Many preachers claim that everything in the bible should be taken literally.

<>

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

My understanding is that it is only Seventh Day Adventists - and some baptists and other fringe extreme protestant sects. Certainly the major Western Christian denominations don't.

Though to be fair I suppose that if you take the term "preacher" to mean a pastor of one of a sect of that type, as distinct from, say priests or other ordained ministers of religion, then you would clearly be right.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ted Grant II Registered Senior Member

I understand your point.
    I was hoping to show that it is easy to make up a story that might pass as authentic Holy Writ , but clearly, I failed.
    You are just too darn clever to be fooled.
    So that suggests that it is far from easy, which adds weight to the idea that the Bible is clearly genuine. You can tell, just by reading it.
    That, in turn, implies that I will burn in Hell for ever, for having doubts and for not donating 10%.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

And all Pentecostals, Church Of God, Church Of Christ, Southern Baptists & more. Most of the famous ones, Billy & Franklin Graham, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, etc. All TV preachers I know of. Most of the preachers & priests I could find on the internet. Nearly every 1 I have known, heard of or read about.

The vast majority of Christians I talk with claim it is inerrant & 100% true & accurate. They believe in the 6 day creation, the talking snake, talking ass, turning water into wine, cursing the fig tree, the worldwide flood, every existing animal on the ark, healing the blind & raising the dead, etc.

There have been many debates between atheists & preachers on the 100% literal truth of the Christian bible.

<>

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2017
  8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Most scripture makes no distinction between literal & figurative.

You did well. It is fairly easy because of the factors you mention plus the vast majority do not know scriptures well & do not check it.

<>

9. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

That sounds like digging a crude version of a septic tank

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Yes, the Bible is genuine - but not true. It is a genuine collection of stories that have been rehashed and redacted and re-translated for centuries. That's something that can't be easily faked.

exchemist and Michael 345 like this.
  11. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

And I strongly suspect the vast majority, if not all, was not intended by the authors to be for us. Some was meant for their very near future while most was intended for people in their present time. Most was not intended for everyone on the planet.

IF there was a Jesus who said "I will return within your lifetime.", I think that is exactly what he meant.

Part of the problem which I rarely see mentioned is all that scripture meant for certain people at certain times has erroneously been extrapolated to the entire planet for all time.

<>

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2017
  12. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Revelation seems to be written by someone(s) on drugs.

<>

exchemist likes this.