Observation and Reality

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Bowser, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Since QM methods always reference the experimental setup, it would be a very bold assertion to claim that it says something about consciousness. That would seem to imply that our QM formalisms encapsulate consciousness. Although this also, technically, means that the whole system, including experimental apparatus, remains in a superposition until itself interacted with.

It has become very hard to separate pseudoscience from the actual investigations into what part quantum processes may play in things like the interaction at the synaptic cleft.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Kenneth Krane's Modern Physics gives a statistical interpretation of uncertainty, and points out that there are uncertainty relations for classical waves.

The statistical reason that \( \Delta x \Delta p = \frac {\hbar} {2} \), is the same reason that a wavepacket with minimal uncertainty (e.g. one confined to a one-dimensional potential well) has \( \eta = \frac {1} {4\pi} \) where \( \eta \) is the statistical uncertainty (in say, the wavelength, or perhaps the energy).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Hence my remark about radio engineers earlier.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Counter Registered Senior Member

Yes I believe it's called the double slit experiment which proves things are in two places at once. Without all alternate realities this one could not exist.