Obscure historical facts

Discussion in 'History' started by Plazma Inferno!, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Retribution Banned Banned

Those bloody emus started it. Don't ever forget that. Buggers will still run out into the path of an oncoming car and destroy it on a regular basis. Best guerrilla fighters on the planet... with the possible exception of Kangaroos. Never think you can pick a fight with a roo and win.

Plazma Inferno! likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Sit on it?

<>

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. timojin Valued Senior Member

Little Known Facts about Einstein
    He gave away his Nobel Prize money to his ex-wife.
    Einstein shocked other scientists by insisting that God exists.
    He was intensely religious as a child
    His parents worried that he didn’t talk as a child.
    The “greatest day” in his life, came in Israel.

http://www.aish.com/ci/s/10-Little-Known-Facts-about-Einstein.html?s=mm

8. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

And... Let's clear that right up:

He [Einstein] did not believe in a personal God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings, a view which he described as naïve. He clarified however that, "I am not an atheist", preferring to call himself an agnostic, or a "religious nonbeliever." When asked if he believed in an afterlife, Einstein replied, "No. And one life is enough for me."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_and_philosophical_views_of_Albert_Einstein

Einstein himself stated quite clearly that he did not believe in a personal God: "It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."
    http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/einstein.html

9. timojin Valued Senior Member

Why are in such hurry analyse what he meant , does it make a difference , we were not at his bedside. One thing he was raised as a religious Jew. So be it.

10. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

How do you know were you there?

11. timojin Valued Senior Member

You are right I don't know , so we don't know

12. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

So was I - for about five minutes.

13. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

He & his parents were non observant Jews. They were Jewish in the same way as someone I know is Irish & another is Chinese but they did not practice Judaism.
    He claimed to believe in a vague obscure notion of god similiar to people who claim the universe is god. He clearly stated that the idea of a personal god is silly. He called himself agnostic because of perceived negative connotation with the word atheist.

<>

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2017
  14. timojin Valued Senior Member

What do you say to this :
    Einstein shocked other scientists by insisting that God exists.
    Einstein insisted that his scientific research and understanding enabled his belief in God, instead of undermining it.

Once, sitting at a Berlin dinner party, Einstein stunned the table with this following statement: “Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature,” Einstein told the stunned guests, “and you will find that, behind all the discernible laws and connections, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.”

Years later in Princeton he explained his persistent belief in God in simpler terms. When a sixth grader wrote to the Einstein asking if scientists prayed, he made time to write her back, noting, “Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit if manifest in the laws of the Universe – a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble….”

sculptor likes this.
  15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I think that should have been naive rather than silly.

<>

16. timojin Valued Senior Member

WhaT are you saying ? are you contradicting yourself ?

17. river

No prayer .

18. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I say that Einstein appears to have been a kind of pantheist, identifying nature itself with whatever people mean by God.

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism. You will find Einstein referred to in the lower part of this article. Interestingly, pantheism seems to have been articulated first by Spinoza, another unconventional Jewish thinker!

But attempting to claim Einstein as a religious believer, in any conventional sense, is not fair.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That doesn't follow.

Einstein never shocked anybody by insisting that God exists. Your claim that he did is false.

And it is very common for people marketing Christianity to make that kind of false claim about a famous and respected person. So in addition to these obscure facts of history, we have all these falsehoods of history obscuring them. Why do they do that?
    A lot of atheists would agree with that - it's a common atheistic belief. Notice that he didn't answer the question.

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

After I die, my relatives will probably claim a deathbed conversion.

<>

21. timojin Valued Senior Member

I did not say anything what he did or did not . I just copy from some passage from Jewish writing.
    I just said none of us know his personal life at the end, and that some will say he was an atheist , he or she is wrong also

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Then we cannot say much, if anything, about him. We have the facts as recorded & disputing them is disputing history.
    Many websites are incorrect on many things. It is best to check other sources.

<>

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

But he or she is not contradicting Einstein's own writings, or claiming things known to be false, as your posting did. Instead, they are in agreement with Einstein's own writings, and their claims agree with all that is known.