Objective morality vs subjective morality

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Mind Over Matter, Apr 18, 2011.

1. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Mind Over Matter - the originator of this illustrious thread.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

oh, yes it does imply that. the vatican doesn't have perfect knowledge, god does.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If he doesn't or didn't tell us or only reveals what is bad through bad consequences after the fact, then god morality is no better than atheist morality.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

at some point due to imperfect knowledge it becomes an issue of trust. you could say theoretically that if everyone was learning and changing, the need for correction would diminish but that doesn't seem to be the case looking at our society. the issue really does come down to the basis of the morality. if the goal of morality is to benefit the greater good, do you want to trust what is objective (law that governs the universe), or subjective (what you think)?

8. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

Sure, papal decisions backed by Tradition and Sacred Scripture which concern morality are God's voice on Earth.

A list of the Catholic Church's objective morality:

http://www.catholicparents.org/oxcart/Examination%20of%20Conscience.pdf

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There is no innate morality in the universe. I can point to the example of parasites. They lay their eggs in another insect with the intent that they grow there and eat it out from the inside or take over it's brain.

10. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Are you going on about insect morality again? Spider!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

1. On principle, the two might not necessarily be different or mutually exclusive.

2. It is not clear how an individual could distinguish between the two (given that the individual is bound to what he thinks).

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I want a Buddhist reference from the Pali Canon that there is no Supreme Personality of Godhead.

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

What may be the source of their stance is that they all see the issue related to God and God being the one in ultimate control in the matter.
    This is something they all agree on. In this regard, their stance is objective.

They may disagree on some specifics or details, depending on circumstance, time, place, intellect, spiritual attainment and commitment.

It seems you are operating out of the notion that if God existed and some people would be truly religious, then all these people would speak and behave the exact same way, regardless of circumstance, time, place, intellect, spiritual attainment and commitment.

For example, they would all wear thick winter clothes, whether living in British Columbia in the winter, or in Los Angeles in the summer, and they would all plant lettuce, those that live in the Sahara desert and those that live in Nepal, and anywhere else.
    They would all drink two liters of water per day, whether infant or elderly or any age inbetween.

14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

This is a truism.

It is also useless, as in everyday practical examples, we cannot with certainty distinguish between objective and subjective morality.

More truisms that help you criticize others ...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

The argument can be made than one needs to distinguish between principles an details.
    Principles are objective, details subjective.

16. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

Dear Signal,

I don't criticize others. I was simply sharing. I have a sense of the other's worth. I have a sense of honor and esteem for all that involves the well-being of the others. I preciate the importance of this quality of respect the moment I feel myself being treated in a way that is in any way disrespectful -being laughed at, taken lightly, or in any way mistreated are painful experiences. However, I respect all reality and especially all human life as created by God the Father and redeemed by Christ.

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

not comprehensively. not even close. not at this time.

given the spirit, the individual is not bound to what he would think. if the introduction of the spirit changes what you think, then it must introduce some new information. just the fact that the spirit exists is a hell of a lot of new information.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Can you tell me how any broad principles are derived from the existence of a supreme being?

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Buddhism isn't like that, especially Zen Buddhism. The basis of Buddhism isn't a text, it is the experience of enlightenment.

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

where does that enlightenment come from? i have a friend who's a buddhist and he relates to having an awakening. when i talk to him about some of the spiritual stuff i've experienced, he seems not surprised in the least and empathetic.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's always been there, it's just a reorientation of the mental process.

22. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

according to what?

23. The Ape Hunter Registered Senior Member

These days, most Americans don't realize that the question of this particular issue is implicitly present within the "Declaration of Independence"

"We hold these truths to be self evident". The words "self evident" are referring to an "objective" existence of the said "truths". In addition, the "truths" to which the declaration refers, are in fact, part of the objective moral code which formed the basis for their declaration of independence

The fact of that the "self evident" or objective, "truths" are indeed, a part of the moral code, is made apparent by the next statements... "that all men are created equal, that they were endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights"

In order for man's rights to be "unalienable", it is necessary that they be objectively "self evident". If any man or group of men were to argue that man's rights are not self evident, then, by default, they would imply that man's rights are determined by subjective relativism

That would mean that man's rights would be determined by men, such as government. However, that is simply a declaration by the persons in government, asserting that they are intrinsically & inherently superior to the humans which they govern

This is precisely what the Colonists faced. Hence, the "Declaration of Independence" reveals that the self evident truths are relevant to being "created" & being endowed by the "Creator". This is relevant to being "procreated" which in turn, is implicit of man's "innateness". Thus, the truths are self evident within nature... as they were endowed by nature's God... the Creator

Now the question becomes; "where within nature does one observe the self evident truths"?

All men are born equally naked & equally ignorant. Thus, no man can possess the right to determine the rights for any other man. This would seem to suggest that "relativism" is valid. However, relativism cannot support its own weight due to the fact that the relativist asserts the validity of relativism, in absolute terms.

Therefor, the determination that can reasonably & logically serve as the correct standard of right & wrong, must originate from a source other than man himself.

Hence, I introduce to you... the "Creator"