Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize

Discussion in 'World Events' started by one_raven, Oct 9, 2009.

1. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

From what I've read and heard you are all correct. They picked him because of all the global hype around election time. Hope and change and all that jazz.
    But the honeymoon's been over for awhile so I'm still a bit surprised.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kira Valued Senior Member

Umm, Michael Jackson? :facepalm:

I think they just couldn't find anybody else.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kira Valued Senior Member

If you were nobel peace prize committee, who would you rather like the prize was given to? List here 3 names:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Look around, there are not a lot of peacemakers out there these days.

8. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

This is a tradition: Someone wins Nobel, much of the world applauds, winner's' home country (US) and enemies critisize.

These are two comments from BBC's website:

It proves the Nobel Peace Prize is a farce... Obama has not achieved any results to merit it

Richard, United States

(I bet this guy is also writing in sciforums...)

There was already a huge weight of responsibility on Obama's shoulders, and this medal hung round his neck has just made it a little heavier.

Mark Mardell
    BBC North America editor

(Correct, the rest of the world wants to see Obama keeping it same way)

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

He will speak to the press in 10 minutes.

10. countezero Registered Senior Member

The prize, which has been somewhat mired in recent years, has come to a new low. This is basically a vanity prize now. Actions and deed are apparently not needed.

11. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Yeah ! Yeah !! That's the ticket !!!

I mean - For instance - while motoring about, I consistently and selflessly refrain from assaulting people who's shitty driving skills infuriate me to the point of murderous rage !

For all I know, some of them might be citizens of countries other than my own... ...my efforts to achieve Universal Harmony proceed apace regardless of such trifling things as international borders, however... ...because sometimes a man's got to settle for just imagining that he's horribly mutilating some dumb lump of protoplasm, and so thoroughly incinerating every trace of their existence that they cannot so much as be recognized as evidence of human kind for the good of us all !

I'm a force for peace, damn it !!!

Now where's my #@$%&*!!! medal ?!??!?!?

12. countezero Registered Senior Member

The reaction I've gotten at my work place, from people of all political backgrounds, amounts to verbal eye-rollings.

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

What's the prize these days? $6M?

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

He's on.

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Not a bad speech. Humble, deflecting and looking forward.
    He said he doesn't deserve to be in the company of past winners.
    He also said he doesn't see this as recognition for his personal accomplishments, rather affirmation of a global strategy of many nations and he see's it as a call to action for many.
    Nothing earth shattering - he will accept it.

16. countezero Registered Senior Member

Arafat won. Really nothing else to say is there?

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Roll with it

So ... a couple of points.

First, it's amazing what you can get from just a few minutes of public radio. Sarkozy said Obama's prize marks "America's return to the hearts of the people of the world"; Obama gave some good remarks (he's surprised, he doesn't view the award as recognition of his accomplishments, he doesn't think he deserves it, and even managed an amusing anecdote about his family), and there is plenty of criticism while the broader reaction around the world is positive.

A flip side is that Steve Scher was devoting his Weekday program on KUOW to the pledge drive, and they were doing this ridiculous virtual party bit, a "pledge party". I mean, there's something weird about hearing this guy, at nine in the morning, telling people to put the pie on the table and grab a drink. And they were putting callers on the air, asking them what games and desserts they brought. Completely awkward. But he did it well; he's a better actor than I would have guessed. Garrison Keillor, no matter how annoying Prairie Home Companion might get some days (try it back to back with Stuart McLean's Vinyl Cafe sometime), recorded an excellent custom piece for the show, razzing Scher about coming in late on the harmony as they sang to cajole money out of listeners. But here's the fun part. Even NPR, and here in liberal Seattle, is mocking Obama's Nobel. It's impossible not to. But they cut together some sound bites from the campaign and his presidency into a fake interview (to support the pledge drive), and then sent him off for pie and a drink while making a few jokes about how if you call in your pledge while he was there he might give you a special medal.

The bottom line is that Obama's award seems almost a dare. And while Islamic Jihad's Al-Batsch might complain about the politics, didn't Arafat win the Peace Prize some years back? I mean, come on. Then again, Arafat did sign a peace accord. Sure, it didn't work. And, to be certain, nobody expected it to. But, hey, Obama promised to end the Iraqi Bush Adventure, and that's ... um ... something. Isn't it?

So, yeah. As shocking as it may seem to some people, get used to it. President Obama is now a Nobel laureate. So instead of calling for an investigation (since there's a $1.4m check that goes with it, we can expect someone somewhere to demand an inquiry into what the corrupt, Kenyan-born, communist Muslim is doing in exchange for this lobbyist money) just roll with it. Like I said earlier:

Alright, Mr. President. You're on. Now prove it.

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I'm thinking maybe a lot of Americans still don't quite understand what the country has been up to recently, what it looks like and acts like, and what kind of a possibility of change Obama created simply by getting elected.

That might be enough, actually - just creating the possibility of turning the US ship of state, of getting a handle on power without furthering the current progress, looks like a great accomplishment, given the situation.

Nobels have been awarded for less, for sure. Arafat makes a little bit of sense, but Kissinger?

As Vidal put it: never underestimate the Scandinavian sense of humor.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

This is wonderful, a resounding repudiation of everything the Republican party stands for. I could not think of anyone more deserving of this award. Glen Beck can eat it!

20. mike47 Banned Banned

Noble peace prize ?.

Moderator Note: Post 37 has been merged here from a thread on the same topic (op from mike47, titled Noble Peace Prize ?.

-hypewaders

When it comes to Noble Peace Prize many governments around the world send delegates to try and lobby for the prize for themselves for political reasons .
    I honestly think that Obama does not deserve this year Noble Peace Prize . I think an organization such as the Peace Movement whose members get beaten by police, get thrown in jails to promote peace and oppose wars .
    Obama is still killing innocent people in both Iraq and Afghanistan and he is following the nasty and disgraceful foot steps of G.W. Bush. He did not even change Robert gates who is the secretary of defense .
    Who do you think should have the Noble Peace Price for real work to achieve peace on earth ?.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2009
  21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

He is in the process of withdrawing from Iraq in such a way that does not lead to civil war, and he is dealing with Afghanstan as we speak. These are two wars which were handed to him when he entered office. There are compelling reasons to stay in Afghanistan, it is not so clear cut that someone who values peace would pull out immediately.

22. countezero Registered Senior Member

LOL.

It's not a partisan issue, and shouldn't be. Anyone who claims to be objective should look at this and realize what a joke this prize has become, assuming it was ever anything else.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They already did work out a central government, and it was abhorrent to human rights and our own national security. We might at some point have to accept that Afghanistan is held hostage by it's own native religious thugs.