Obama poised to send more troops to train Iraqis

Discussion in 'World Events' started by cosmictraveler, Jun 10, 2015.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

They aren't cowards, and they will fight for themselves - they've proved that. They just won't fight for America or the corrupt American collaborators.

It's not our responsibility, it's our fault. It's like when the neighbor kids burn down your garage - its not their responsibility to build you a new garage.

We could cut a deal with the Kurds and the Iranians - give them weapons and support. They can handle ISIL.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I hate myself for this joke, but....

Are they training them for the sprint, or for long-distance?

(A rapid dash is fine, but a sustained jog will probably let them cover more ground, especially if they've handed over the keys to their vehicles to their pursuers.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sculptor Valued Senior Member

as/re "boots on the ground":
    I was once a soldier. What I learned is that one of the special forces( I call them the killer elite) was easily worth ten of me.
    Meanwhile:
    Last year, the USA passed Russia as the worlds biggest oil and gas producer. We now produce about 90% of the energy we consume.
    Do we really need to be throwing good money after bad in the muddle-east?(typo? or Freudian slip?).
    imho
    We should never have gotten involved in the first place, and continuing the insanity ain't gonna make it no better.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

There are advisors there already and have been there since troops were pulled out so it is a long term idea that is already taking place it is just that now more will be sent back to give more training. I guess since there are already troops there they aren't doing a good job in training the Iraqi military for we all see the results that have been happening. More advisors/trainers will just be sent along with the regular Iraqi military when it goes out to fight. This is really why they are sending them not to train only but to take part in the offensive with them. This is why I say that no matter how many people America sends the end result will be the same each and every time thet are over there and nothing will change until the government changes.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Let me remember. Saddam had a special military unit that went out and tortured, mutilated, beheaded people that he didn't like or who were trying to oppose him. What is the difference , I don't see any at all.

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

If I might suggest: I think the solution is not more troops or more training but a different kind of training. A different kind of war. I haven't worked out what that would be yet, but I know there's a solution somewhere.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Today most "leaders" around the world are in it for the money not to help but to create fear and confusion so that those leaders can steal money from taxpayers and run away and have a great life in another country. Greed and confusion is what leaders of countries want so their schemes will not be found out about. So no matter who's in charge they are all only out to make money not to really be of help. How do you stop greed? How do you stop stupidity?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

In 2014, 27% of the oil used in the US came from foreign countries.
    Source: http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=32&t=6

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

No training is going to motivate the Iraqi army to fight hard for what the Americans have brought to Iraq.

This is a perfectly general pattern in American military ventures since WWII - we're invariably on the wrong side. Our friends are the local scum and criminals, our enemies are the idealistic and dedicated fighters for justice and freedom. Nobody's going to lay down their life for Adnan Chalabi, or the local equivalent of Fredo in the Godfather.

There are people who will fight hard against ISIL - namely the Kurds and Iranians. We could arm and support them.

sculptor likes this.
  13. sculptor Valued Senior Member