Obama a Democrat Screws the Military Again

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Buffalo Roam, Feb 6, 2009.

1. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

I hope the US will go back into the direction of being the land of the free. I think the more that we pull away from these kangaroo trials, secret evidence, and military over-spending, the better.

I always hope for the day when education has all the money it needs and the military has to have a bake sale to buy a new bomber.
    ~forgot who said this...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Do you know how much money is spent on average for each and ever student in the U.S.? We spend more money per student than anywere else in the world, and for what?

THE Obama is going to spend

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2003-09-16-education-comparison_x.htm

In 2000 we were spending $10,240 per student, and that ammount has gone up since then? and you say we aren't spending enough?

That is on a avarage class, we spend $286,720 a year, and it isn't enough?
    28 student can't be educated with a expenduture of $286,720 a year?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The education budget is utterly negligible next to the military budget, yet here you are, Buffalo Roam, whining about how little the military gets, while bemoaning the huge sums given to education. It doesn't add up, does it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Facts are pretty tough for Mr. Buffalo Roam. They are definately not his friends.

8. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

The fact is that we are spending on average $11,000+ per student per year and can't get the job of educating the student done, another fact is that private school spend 1/2 of that amount, and are blowing the doors of the Public Education System in Student Achievement Levels, and percent of Students making Graduation.

We are throwing billions into the public education system, and year after year, it is failing?

So what is the Liberal answer? Throw more money at it?

Now why can the private school systems, educate it's students, at or above grade level, and have graduation levels above 90%, at half the expenditure of the Public System? and the billions spent by the Government still leaves 40% of the public school student with out a diploma?

Obliviously it isn't the amount of money spent.

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well one, I would question the 11k per student number you are throwing around. Schools in my area are spending about 5-6k per student. The urban areas are spending larger amounts about 9k per student.

I cannot speak for liberals. But for me education to a large degree is not about money. It is about quality school boards. That does not rule out the need for money. But I have noticed the difference between quality of education can be directly tied to the quality of the school board. And unfortunately, in some of the urban districts school boards place more empahsis on race rather than ability in management hiring decisions.

By the way, most funding for education is local, not Federal.

If you want to attack Federal Spending and make a difference you need to attack healthcare costs (Medicaid-Medicare) and Pension and Social Security Costs. Together those are the lions share of the budget...more than half. And military spending is next in terms of spending largess. If you want to make headway in fiscal responsibility you need to start there.

No more 500 billion dollar helicopters! That is where I would start, and not coincidentally that is where Obama is starting.

This is kind of funny because you are partaking both in the Federal pensions system and the Medicare Systems.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  10. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Yes, joe you can't speak for the liberals,:roflmao:

http://ednews.org/articles/29585/1/School-Finance/Page1.html

In 1845, with the emerging system only a decade old, per pupil costs in districts in New York State, such as Albany and New York City, ranged from $3.42, in Syracuse, to $9.94 in Troy. By 1930, the national per-pupil expenditure was $99. Because of the Great Depression, even that figure declined a bit by 1935. Still, even allowing for inflation and a dollar that was worth more 70 or 150 years ago, that's far from today's average $11,000 per pupil.

Let's consider an admittedly not typical, but nonetheless real, school district. Bridgehampton on New York's Long Island. It was said to be spending $24,593 per pupil in the 2000-2001 school year just in instructional costs for the typical student. That should be enough for anyone, right? Wrong. Only three years later, as reported in May of 2004, they were spending $45,090 per pupil. You might think that would do it. It didn't. Another three years later, by July of 2007, Newsday said per-pupil expenditures had skyrocketed to $71,326 per pupil.---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Clearly this is a wealthy district, the Croesus of the Hamptons. But not everyone shared in the wealth. 54% of its students are minority, and 31% are eligible for free or reduced-price lunches.

Despite the huge expense, and one teacher for every 3.7 students, and class sizes ranging from 5 to 12, students in the district scored below the state average on both the elementary and middle-school English and math Regents examination in the 2001-2 school year.-------------------------------------------- Interestingly also, contrary to claims that poverty districts are low-spending districts, the new report on The Condition of Education 2008 (June) states that, in the latest year for which figures are available, 2004-05, "current expenditures per student...were highest in high-poverty districts." School districts such as those in Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C., whose students are urban, minority and low-income, are high spending, well above the national average of about $11,000. They, like Cleveland, Detroit, and many other urban districts, are seeing a constant outflow of students and general population as this seems to be only way that citizens can escape the crippling effect the public system is having on their children.

"According to the U.S. Department of Education, per-pupil expenditures in US. public schools increased eightfold since the end of World War II...achievement...scores have remained mostly unchanged in the past 30 years..." Lori Drummer, "Myth Buster," Review of Education Myths by Jay P. Greene, p. 19, School Reform News, January 2006

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

How does this relate to "Obama screws military again"?

12. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Well you the one who went off topic? you tell me?

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

source for info.

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

So the bottom line is this is a bogus thread. The claim has been throughly shot down by Billy T. Obama has done nothing to harm or hurt the military and has infact done the opposite. So the thread should be closed.

15. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

No you just took the thread off topic.

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

You and limbaugh have much in common.

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Just look at how Obama is screwing the Veterans, by proposing to fund the VA over a two year period versus the current one year period and by increasing VA spending by more than any president in the history of the country, and by enrolling over a half million new veterans with non service connected disabilities; and by steamlining the process for getting medical treatment by electronically passing records from the Defense Department to the VA...boy what a screw job!

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,186747,00.html

18. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

It is kind of stuck. He is just getting the team to push Healthcare together. You may recall his initial slection for this team had tax problems. And the healthcare industry will not accept change easily...too much money being made.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/25/health/policy/25medicare.html

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics/story/1124735.html

So his healthcare team is not yet in place. It will be a very tough fight. I expect the AMA, drug companies and insurance companies will mount a huge ad campaign to distort the issues and what he is trying to do. But I would be suprised if I saw some action this year, unfortunately.

Republicans are trying to stall the Sebelius nomination for as long as possible which of course inhibits healtcare reform. The healthcare industry has been very good to Republicans and Republicans have been very good to the healthcare industry at the expenses of the average American tax payer.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/sebelius-confirmation-stalls-over-gop-objections-2009-04-02.html

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  19. John99 Banned Banned

thanks. sour grapes for me because this is my own fault and there are too many problems to worry about myself.

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

You are welcome.