nutrasweet.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by leopold, Feb 20, 2009.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

With food, it typically takes a couple of generations for effects to show up. People don't realise that the effects of food intake are cumulative, the adaptability of the body means you need to abuse it for a long time before its sufficiently damaged enough for effects to become grossly evident.

Oftentimes, even if there is an effect staring you in the face you may not realise it because its not something you are expecting based on what you think you know about the substance. Also people who do these studies often ignore the effect of confounding variables present in real life.

Sometimes, you only discover it through a fluke

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/results/final-CARET1204

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RobDegraves Registered Member

thinking...

I did google it. There are no reputable studies showing that aspartame has any negative side effects that I could find. Internet rumors are not a reputable study.

S.A.M.

Granted, it is possible that there is something about aspartame that will take 100 years to discover. However, since there is no evidence of this, there is no reason to believe that it is so.

You could say the same thing about any food. Maybe it takes 2000 years for the effects to show up and we are just about to find out that cheese is lethal.

On a personal note, I find the whole aspartame conflict quite ironic in a world where people smoke, drink and use drugs. When you have thousands of people every week who die from smoke related diseases, everyone freaks out about a product that has had no detectable side effects for nearly 30 years. It's ironic to say the least.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

Indeed, see this thread as an example of just how gullible people are. I linked to a Snopes article debunking this Myth, but it was mis-read by one moron as proof of the 'problem'!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

What I find interesting about this issue is all of the conflicting information one can find, here are two quotes from the bottom of the following links page in a section titled, the facts about aspartame.
    http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/risk/aspartame

Ok but...

Now correct me if I am wrong, but leukemia is a cancer of the blood, no? It appears even the government isnt sure about this one. Its probably best to stay away from it, but since your so convinced phlog why dont you start drinking 8 diet sodas a day for a couple of years and get back to us.

Heres another link since you guys seem to be having trouble finding sources...http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/34040.php

Ah what the hell one more...http://www.cspinet.org/new/200706251.html

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  8. RobDegraves Registered Member

EndLightEnd...

You really need to read further when you look at research.

I do that already... so do millions of people. In fact, over 250 million people for nearly 30 years.

9. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Then why are the results of that experiment still on the cancer.gov website? The first link I posted above.

Its at the veeeeery bottom so its easy to miss.

Besides all you are arguing is who should we trust more? The New Zealand Food Safety Authority(who as far as I can tell did NOT do experiments of their own), or the European Food Safety Authority which refused to reverse the results! Can you tell me which is more valid?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  10. Bree Registered Member

I also have the same question. Good thing I've stumbled upon this post. Will surely follow this one.