nut/pressure cook experiement

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Beer w/Straw, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I'm looking on the web, getting info... Phytic acid hinders digestion? Maybe I'll also put my cocoa powder in the pressure cooker. (lost the original link with reference to cocoa -supposed to have most antioxidant) http://www.yogitrition.com/soaking-grains-beans-nuts-and-seeds-101/

Anyway, this is not a real experiment, it's me and my impatience mostly.

I'm going to try walnut, almond, pecan, cashew and cocoa powder (I chose these nuts specifically to help cognition and cocoa for antioxidant.)

I'm also unsure, the other nuts have the same soak time but for cashews it comes with this:

*As for certain types of nuts, there are also varying opinions as to whether or not they should be soaked. These are: Pistachios, Brazil nuts, Macadamia nuts, Hazelnuts, Pine nuts and Cashews. It requires a tremendous amount of heat to extract Brazil nuts and Cashews from their shell. Some say the nutrients have already been destroyed by this process, so soaking would be useless. And while I’m sure a fair amount of nutrients are lost during the extraction process for these nuts, how much, I am uncertain.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Ugh... ATM I have so many questions -nutrients/time/temperature... I have lost where I'm going with this post.

I can pressure cook legumes/lentils on high for a significant fraction other than soaking. The end result with the nuts I want is to have them buttered or easily blended to a mush.

Any advice would be cool.

danshawen likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

From here:

I wish I could help more, but I've only done it once or twice...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Too much information for today (also looking for another food to make a full amino acid with the nuts).

Wish I had nore equipment on hand. I don't even know what temp the pressure cooker was at!

The only thing I've read consistently about food nutrition is hard boiled eggs are best for usable protein.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

BwS, my dear girl, this doesn't sound like any cuisine I have ever heard of. Are you sure it is a good idea?

Nowadays I rely increasingly on Francoise Bernard. I see there is an English translation available: http://www.amazon.com/La-Cuisine-Everyday-French-Cooking/dp/0847835014

These are easy, normal, food and after a bit you'll wonder why you ever ate badly.

8. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Cashews are technically not a "nut", but a part of a fruit "Cashew Apples", an ingredient in many fruit drinks

http://lifeofthepartyalways.com/2014/06/22/cashews-the-crazy-nut/

The hull of the kidney shaped cashew "nuts" at the bottom end of the cashew fruit are laced with potent toxins resembling poison ivy. Care must be taken whenever roasting them (usually done outside) not to inhale the smoke, for the same basic reason you would not wish to do the same to a fire set in a patch of poison ivy. The resin or toxin would in part be liberated by the smoke, and if inhaled, rapid onset of life threatening anaphylaxis would no doubt result. Epinephrine would need to be administered quickly to save anyone so afflicted.

Please be careful!

9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Does that book have statistics about nutrition and stuff? I've liked this site as a guide: http://www.whfoods.com/

Occasionally I come across sites:

http://greatist.com/health/complete-vegetarian-proteins links to: http://arabiczeal.com/mujaddara-palestinian-lentils-rice/

My cooking expertise (since chocolate doesn't go with everything) is cheese. Hell, I'd put cheese on sawdust, nuke it the micro and eat it!

I'm don't have an education on nutrition, and since food/cooking/dumbness books and recipes are a dime a dozen, I really don't know what the heck I'm doing. (methionine/lysine/antioxidant/vitaminB1...) I get so confused.

10. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

you should know the weight you used. that'll give the pressure max. so that should give the temp that the water is boiling at. surely? mine has a pressure gauge that also reads temp (F unfortunately, but it is an old cooker).

11. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Sorry I have to plead ignorance, but had a few thoughts.

I was about to ask if you've tried pressure cooking coffee beans, but was dismayed by the news Today I found out a Coffee bean is not actually a bean, rather it is a seed. Most disconcerting was In fact, though beans are always seeds, seeds are not always beans. Ok now, following this a little more: the part of the nut we eat is a seed and I'm pretty sure a seed is a seed. From now on I will only brew coffee seed tea.

Further investigation reveals that the coffee flowers produce drupes (fruits). Pickers call it a coffee cherry. Now that might be something to try in your pressure cooker. I mean for added antioxidants, of course. And there are two candidates: the ripe red cherry and the green one.

And at some point I fully expect to hear all about the thermodynamics of the pressure cooker.

I thought the operative question from your link was going to be Should I roast my nuts after soaking? But indeed, you are on a roll here with pressure cooking, since the 18-24 hours for soaking would be quite an ordeal.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Antioxidants are not good for you.

13. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Cite?

14. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I would love to go to a lab store and get all the equipment -I could even make youtube videos of dumbness experiments. I could even buy an industrial strength blender. But I'd like to have some idea of what I'm doing first,

15. exchemist Valued Senior Member

No it doesn't, thank God, or I would never use it. Food should be a pleasure. As for diet, a few simple rules are all that is needed, no fancy biochemistry or vitamins.

I'm off to grill some swordfish in a few minutes, with caponata (takes about 45 mins to prepare) and green beans, with a nice chilled Pouilly Fumé, followed by some cheese we have lying about: a goat's cheese from the Loire and some Livarot (smelly but excellent).

I also found some damsons at the local greengrocer's stall - a rarity - have not eaten them in years - v. good stewed with plenty of sugar, but you need some cream to cut the tannins from the skins.

I am very confident that will be a healthy meal.

No futzing around with nuts in a pressure cooker for me.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member