Now reading (The Book Thread)

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Avatar, Jun 30, 2006.

1. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

A Confederacy of Dunces, O'Toole (funniest book ever) 3rd time reading

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Just finished it, quinnsong, it's a masterpiece. I noticed an interesting passage:

"Oh, my God!" Ignatius slobbered. "The minx has been raped by a Mao-Mao."
    "What's that?" Mrs. Reilly asked suspiciously.​

mau-mau
      /ˈmaʊˌmaʊ/ Show Spelled[mou-mou] Show IPA
    –verb (used with object) Slang .
    to terrorize, intimidate, or threaten.

Now check this out from presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee:

But then if you think about it, his [Obama's] perspective as growing up in Kenya with a Kenyan father and grandfather, their view of the Mau Mau Revolution in Kenya is very different than ours because he probably grew up hearing that the British were a bunch of imperialists who persecuted his grandfather.​

He's basically calling the president a violent terrorist in an underhanded way.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Not quite:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mau_Mau_Uprising
    Mau mau as a noun isn't the same as mau mau as a verb (although the verb may well have originated from the actions/ methods of the Kikuyu group in that conflict).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, there is a slight difference. They were violent revolutionaries, but the term can be used to evoke some radical "other". The character Ignatius had a rather innocent bias but Huckabee does not. Huckabee is obviously using the term as a roundabout way to call the president the N word. I should probably start a thread about it.

The book "A Confederacy of Dunces" takes place in the south, and Ignatius' use of the term made me think that southern white people would probably recognize it and associate it with primitive African culture and vaguely threatening.

8. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

I think your analysis is right on!

9. John99 Banned Banned

Just finished:

Foundation -
    Asimov, Isaac

The Stand -
    King, Stephen

10. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

I picked up a copy of this recently at a local used book sale. Sounds as though it'll make a good change of mood after I'm through with Let History Judge - The Origins and Consequences of Stalinism by Roy A. Medvedev.

11. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Lol yes you will need A Confederacy of Dunces after reading about Stalin! Please post again while reading A Confederacy, I do love to talk about this novel. In fact I am constantly having to restock it, because I keep giving it out to spread the laughs.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Incoming!

Incoming from Barnes & Noble:

Shipping Tuesday:

• Steven Brust, Tiassa
    • Salman Rushdie, Luka and the Fire of Life

Shipping Unknown:

• H. P. Lovecraft, Supernatural Horror in Literature
    • Jeffrey Burton Russell, Devil: Perceptions of Evil from Antiquity to Primitive Christianity
    • Jack Cady, The Rules of '48

Two separate orders. Maybe they'll just ship together on Tuesday, when Tiassa is released. That would make sense.

It's also the difference between shopping online and, er, um ... never mind.

Anyway ... presently reading (again) Iorich, by Brust, in anticipation of the next installment.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The Frontiersman

by Allan W. Eckert

An interesting narrative about living in the early days of America and what the people then faced to survive.

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

"Mau Mau", the verb, is a fairly well known term in the public discussions of the black power movement in the US and black people acting in a threatening manner - Tom Wolfe did not invent the term, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_Chic_&_Mau-Mauing_the_Flak_Catchers.

Huckabee's comment is one of a piece with the dog whistle rhetoric of the Confederate right - the bigot vote is one of the biggest blocs in the US.

15. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Variable Star by Robert Heinlein and Spider Robinson. I'm about halfway through. Difficult to tell which parts are Heinlein and which are Robinson, but an excellent book so far.

16. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Excellent book. It's been a few years since I read it. It's time to revisit it.

17. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

The Steel Wave, by Jeff Shaara.

18. RAW2000 suburban Registered Senior Member

The player of games, by Iain M Banks.

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Good choice RAW.

Currently reading Peter F. Hamilton's final volume in his Void trilogy; The Evolutionary Void.
    After a two-year wait I accidentally came across the sole copy (in paperback - hardbacks cost more and take up more shelf space) in my local W. H. Smith, paid for it and started reading on the walk home. Another 800-page delight that'll keep me occupied for a day or two, and then I'll be left feeling deflated because I haven't got any more to look forward to.
    This man reinvented space opera and made it glorious.

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The current docket

Just finished reading Tiassa, by Steven Brust.

On deck: The Devil: Perceptions of Evil from Antiquity to Primitive Christianity, by Jeffrey Burton Russell.

Also, I'm resuming my interrupted reading of The Dragon Keeper, by Robin Hobb.

21. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I like Robin Hobb.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy

23. spanglo Registered Senior Member

Finished Homer & Langley by E.L. Doctorow today on my way to work, and immediately began reading American Studies by Louis Menand.