Now reading (The Book Thread)

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Avatar, Jun 30, 2006.

1. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

That's a fantastic book. Have you read River Out of Eden? That's another magical book.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

The Coming Race - Bulwer-Lytton
    Dreaming Void - Peter F Hamilton
    His Dark Materials trilogy - Phillip Pulman
    Soviet Armour and Artillery Design and Practice - Zaloga et al
    Armoured Firepower - Gudgin
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Verne
    and a couple of others. I'm anywhere between halfway through to nearly finished on all of them...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

i have'nt read any fiction for quite a number of years now. probably over 5 years at the least.
    any reading undertaken is academic in nature. usually on a need to know basis. occasionally for curiosities sake

my formative years consisted of knocking off 1-3 books a day

8. Creeptology Registered Member

The end of mr Y : Scarlett Thomas(just finished)

Catch 22 : Joseph Heller(near end)

Box Man : Kobe Abe (just finished)

The Secret Diary of a U-boat : Wolfgang Hirschfeld (rereading, halfway through)

Paperweight : Stephen Fry (not reading cover to cover, just random bits here and there as recommended by the author who says it's "literary guacamole into which the tired and hungry reader may from time to time wish to dip the tortilla chip of his or her curosity")

about to start reading Rant and Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk and . I usually have 3 books on the go at once.

9. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Mr. Tickle - Roger Hargreaves

Basically it's a seminal work about a man who goes around molesting people. The protagonist takes pleasure in torture and disturbing people's minds. In much the same way as the clown in Stephen King's IT, the childlike demeanor has a harrowing undertone of unbalanced sociopathology. A character driven tale of one sexual deviant's encounters through his town.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I just bought "What We Don't Know About Children" at a yard sale. The lady said it horrified her. She thought it took some kind of perverted mind to think this of children. I don't think that lady knows children very well.

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Only 3?
    Pfft amateur.

12. Democles Registered Member

Alan Brinkley's The Unfinished Nation: A Concise History of the American People.

Volume I to 1877.

13. Creeptology Registered Member

Yeah I know, fackin lightweight but I can't multitask that well so thats my excuse hehehe. I think spring snow was one of my favs but not read the other 3 in the tetralogy as can't find in bookshops, guess have to buy online.

14. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

A Short History of Nearly Everything

by Bill Bryson

Kind of dry so far!

15. Creeptology Registered Member

I quite liked "notes from a small island", and "notes from a big country" by Bryson. Been considering picking up short history so interested what you think of it when finished.

Oh I keep meaning to finish mostly harmless by Doug Adams but never got round to it (I read half 10 years ago, was a library copy and returned before finished it and never got it out again. The orig 4 part Hitch hikers books are a must for anyone who hasn't read them. I had problems laughing in public when I read them. I still do, they stand up well to rereading).

16. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Its a bit dry so far. Chapter one was pretty interesting. Talked about the formation of the universe, which I've read before, but always find interesting to read about again. Now hes talking about geology and the first discoveries of dinosaur bones.

I laughed out loud many times while reading Hitchhikers guide. Especially the part with the umm.... the fish you stick in your ear... what was it called???

anyway, it proves that god doesn't exist...

Babble fish thats what it was!

17. krokah Registered Senior Member

I have been reading books for the past 48 years. I remember thinking that "John Carter of Mars" was one of the best along with "First Men in the Moon". Tarzan was great as well. Recently I think "Stinger" by John McCammon, "Phantoms" by Dean Koontz, and "Relilc" by Lincoln/Child stirs up a great ride in the mind. Others that come to mind:
    1. Swiss Family Robinson 10. The Karma Sutra
    2. Treasure Island 11. The Hardy Boys
    3. The Island of Dr. Moreau
    4. Tarzan of the Apes
    5. Watchers (Koontz)
    6.Secrete Garden
    7. Catch 22
    9. Lord of the Flies

18. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

I've just started on "Confessions of an English Opium Eater" by Thomas deQuincy. The title alone makes me think it will be a very interesting read.

19. Koalama Registered Senior Member

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
    I picked it up randomly yesterday when I was out shopping. I have only read the first few chapters. Not enough for me to form a set opinion on the book.

20. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Thats one of the best books I've ever read. It's a little slow going most of the way through, but awesome!!! You'll have to let me know what you think of it.

21. Koalama Registered Senior Member

Will do. I am going to log off and read now.

22. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Kama Sutra AND the Hardy Boys? Kinky...

23. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Currently reading Of Human Bondage. About 6 chapters in right now.