Nothing really matters..

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Enmos, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why not ? It's in every dictionary.. :shrug:

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
    u·ni·verse (yōō'nə-vûrs') Pronunciation Key
    n.

1. All matter and energy, including the earth, the galaxies, and the contents of intergalactic space, regarded as a whole.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

then why call it an alternate universe if its all the same thing?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Are you any of these things?
    If yes - how do you know? And how do you know that this is all there is to you?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Because it's separate from this one and because the original definition was made without the understanding that there might be multiple universes.
    New inventions make new definitions.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Ahh, but things do matter ....to you and only to you. Each and every one of us assigns a degree of interest and/or concern to everything that we experience ...it's impossible not to do so (unless you're ...ahh, totally retarded or a "vegatable").

It would only matter to the individual and how he or she has assigned interest or concern.

But take it less drastic and see how it matters; If something happens to a close member of your family or a close friend, it would matter ...even if you don't admit it.

Now, take an event on the other side of the world ...say, the Bangladesh cyclone and subsequent deaths. Does it matter? Well, think of it this way, ...if there hadn't been news media coverage, and you had not heard or read about it, would that event have affected you in any way, shape or form? See? You probably don't know any Bangladeshi's, so.... It probably don't matter at all.

I think we try to convince ourselves to care about others, but I'm not so sure that it's really possible. I think it's been drummed into us for so long, and by so many people, that we claim to care, or tha something matters, even when it don't. And y'all know well how you feel about people who don't care ....you immediately denigrate them for their lack of compassion! See? We're "forced" to claim that we care, even if via peer pressure or fear of being ostracized.

No, it don't matter ....and it don't mean anything ...unless YOU think it does.

Baron Max

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Isn't it obvious that we are part of the set if the set is all there is ?

10. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

No.

If we knew the set is all there is, then we'd have to be more than simply a part of the set - we'd have to know the whole set, at once - which would put us above/outside of the set.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ofcourse stuff matters to us but it doesn't really matter in 'the grand scheme of things'.
    Does humankind matter to anyone/thing else ? If humankind doesn't matter then the stuff that matters to us doesn't really matter.

12. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

P.S.
    I has to go now. Good night!

13. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Objectively? You are correct. Value does not exist beyond the subjective. Subjectively of course, many things are of value.

The implication of the phrase is a plan laid out by some kind of sentience... and of course as you have probably noted, there is no evidence to suggest such an implication is real.

Life forms elsewhere in the universe whom are aware of Earth perhaps.

No humans that's for sure.

It wouldn't.

Yes.

Yes.

14. Yorda Registered Senior Member

it doesn't matter if things don't matter in the grand theme of things.

all that exists, exists in your mind, but there are other minds too. these minds do not exist in the universe (all that is), they exist nowhere.

two things exist: illusion and reality. everything is the illusion and nothing is the reality. lol...

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

But.. but.. illusion can't be without reality..

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

lol that sounds about right.
    If nothing really matter than that won't matter either

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Of course it matters, it matters to me, therefore it matters also to this universe.

18. Yorda Registered Senior Member

true, and the reality that is called nothing can't be without this illusion.

yeah, everything might as well matter... i guess that's why the universe came from nothing: nothing mattered, so it created matter and made everything matter.

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

You're right, you're absolutely correct.

Nope, it doesn't matter ...it's only something that people say so as to fit in with their friends and society.

Baron Max

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It can't matter to you after the deal is done. Nobody will weep for the loss of the universe.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Or, the universe never came into existence at all.

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Time is relative. Imagine I do the weeping now. I am energy. Law of the conservation of energy. I am eternal. Voila!

Don't take that too seriously, I'm just freely experimenting with ideas.
    Two nights I haven't slept, just work and studies. :bawl: And Sciforums.

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Sure, but even if this is all just your dream, can't you enjoy it while the dream lasts? I mean, sure, nothing really matters ...even if it's real or if it's all just a dream, but does that mean you shouldn't enjoy what little of it you can?

I agree with you, Enmos, things don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. The entire continent of Africa could sink beneath the waves of the ocean, and if you didn't hear about it, it wouldn't even change your life (or your dream if you didn't know about it).

Baron Max