Nothing from Something?

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 10, 2008.

1. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

I am positing the existence of multiple nothingnesses - not just nothingness. There's a big difference, and that's why your proof fails.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

That's true. But, at least I can explain why matter and energy have always been around, i.e. because matter and energy are forms of nothingness. You, however, cannot explain why matter and energy have always been around, except to say that they have been. Well, how do you know?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

But nothingness has no actual attributes. It's defined as the lack of something. So when you have multiple nothingnesses, you only have multiple instances of lacking something. And no matter how many of those instances you have, you will never end up with something unless you introduce something to the nothing.

(Am I the only one feeling a bit embarrassed by this conversation?)

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Make up your mind.
    Does nothingness create matter, or IS it matter ?

8. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Well, I would come to my senses the moment you give me an explanation for the universe that doesn't suffer from the primary cause paradox and also makes sense.

9. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Easy. Put a "+" between them.

10. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

What makes you think a good explanation exists that fits your requirements? We can't explain the origin of energy, we don't know where it came from. That doesn't mean you can go and make stuff up and proclaim that just because it's the only theory it's a correct theory.

11. Myles Registered Senior Member

Seeing that this 0+0 argument has generated 24 pages on this thread, I am forced to admit that something can come from nothing.

Just wait, folks, till he starts on 1+1/ Infinity is lurking around the corner.

12. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Not if those multiple nothingnesses collide and create matter.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

See the first quote. I asked you "How does something without properties create something with properties ?".
    Your reply: "How can two zeros be added together?"

So I'll ask you again.. do zeros have properties or not ?

14. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Are you telling me that if we were to do an experiment with a vacuum in a closed system, we could create energy from nothing?

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

x + 0 means take x and add nothing. So nothing is added.

16. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Multiple nothingnesses create matter, but matter is only a form of nothingness.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Again ?

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

They still look the same to me.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So you won't make up your mind.. typical.

20. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

I already know you can't give me an alternative explanation. If you could, you would've by now. I am certainly free to make stuff up. In fact, that's how ideas are generally born, if I'm not mistaken. Could my idea be wrong? Sure. But, it seems to me that it's not. It seems rather obvious, when you think about it, that matter comes from empty space. Afterall, there's a hell of a lot of empty space out there in comparison to matter. Seems like the empty space has the upper hand, and probably accounts for the existence of matter. Sort of like looking at the ocean and guessing that life arose from it. Why? Because it's what earlier life forms liked to live in. Well, particles like to live in space. Good chance space gave birth to the particles.

21. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Yes, zeros have properties. They have the property of being able to exist side by side in the equation 0+0=0.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

And nothingness ?

23. Myles Registered Senior Member

You are suffering the fate of all original thinkers; you are being scoffed at by your inferiors.