Not to be offensive... why do Americans have such a poor sense of geography?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by FreeThinkers, Apr 5, 2007.

1. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

I seriously hope you're joking here.
    Most Americans treat everyone (ostensibly non-American..) as aliens, and definitely not with respect and/or as equals.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iam Banned Banned

Thank you. Finally someone who admits an honest assessment.

This is the very dynamic I've experienced all my life with americans and why I feel resentment toward them as a group. Americans are very mockful, dismissive, and disrespectful of other cultures and are not openminded at all, it's like an american fascism. America has lots of hype but the people do not live up to that hype, actually in many ways other countries or cultures do better in the cultural maturity aspect among other things. White people see themselves as the 'true' americans, african americans see themselves as the 'true' americans and both gang up against new foreigners treating them with disdain and unwelcome and as if they don't belong in america.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Glaucon:

Where in America have you been that you've been treated so poorly?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Iam:

"Street Smarts" takes the random dumb person and puts them on camera. It is very likely that the majority of individuals are simply kept off camera as there is no entertainment value.

Again, I'd ask you to actually do stuff for it. I'd be interested.

I might do it myself and see the results.

8. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Not so much treated poorly, as treated ignorantly. Or at least, been witness to ignorant behaviour....

I live about a 15 minute drive from Buffalo NY, so I'm over there often.
    Suffice it to say, once over, you know it simply by observing public behaviour.

Now, it goes without saying that I'm not promoting gross generalization based upon sparse experience, but over my life, a pattern does seem to emerge.

I've spent time traveling throughout Europe with Americans, and I've spent my entire life being exposed (via proximity..) to them... and there's simply no question that almost without exception, every American I've met or interacted with in any way shape or form, has had a shameful sense of geography.

By the time I was 14 I could name every US State and its capital. By comparison, a good friend of mine is a Border Guard who constantly tells me of tales of witless Americans crossing into Canada asking questions like: how long do the roads last for ?; how far do I have to drive to go skiing ?; I can get to Montreal by noon right? (the drive to Montreal from Niagara Falls being about 9 hours, at best...).

All in all, it's no big deal to me. American educations and media seem to place little emphasis on context, and as a result, most Americans have little knowledge of, and therefore care for, things beyond their border.

p.s.: a tidbit of interesting geo-trivia: I live in Canada, and am farther South than Portland, Boise, Billings, Fargo, Sioux Falls, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Albany, and Portland.

9. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Glaucon:

Well, there you go: You live near the accursed city, Buffalo (seriously: Western NY is a pit).

But whereas you are correct that Americans lack a sense of geography, I once again blame this mostly on our educational system. Prior to the 60's or so, geography played a large part in school. Now, it is not a class any longer. Almost no school, from grades 1-12, teach geography as an exclusive topic. There are no longer any tests on the 50 states, or the countries of Europe, or the names of the continents. So people naturally develop a degree of startling ignorance on where things are in the world.

But I fail to see how an ignorance of geography implies a lack of respect. Being ignorant is just that: A matter of ignorance. It is not saying "it is beneath me to know about you". In fact, for all the flaws of ignorance, many people who are ignorant are willing to ask questions, which although they may appear stupid, nonetheless educate them. For instance, you telling said fellow that Montreal was about 9 hours away by car is an informative bit of information which remedied his ignorance.

10. Aoife Registered Member

I'm a she, actually

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats been my experience too.

12. Aoife Registered Member

Back to the S.A.T.s, is maths, critical reading and writing all you are tested on? In this country, we have a leaving certificate at seventeen years old, which gets you into university. You must take Irish, English and Maths (unless you are exempt because of learning difficulties), along with one other European language, and three other subjects from the following: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Phys/Chem, History, Geography, Theology, Accountancy, Business Studies, Economics, Social & Scientific, Art, Music. This way, you are not tested purely on your intelligence, but also your practical skills. Also, someone who is not intelligent but very determined, can do well because they can study for it. For anyone who has severe dyslexia or learning difficulties, their is a leaving certificate applied, which tests them almost purely on practical skills, and allows them to get into more practical jobs (crafts etc.).

13. Faerynght Registered Senior Member

The S.A.T. is not the only college entrance examination, there are quite a few actually:
    The A.C.T. which tests English, Math, Reading, and Science (also an optional writing test).
    The Advanced Placement Test: Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, English Language, English literature, European History, Government and Politics, U.S. History, Computer Sciences, Economics, Environmental Sciences, French, Psychology, Spanish, Statistics, and World History.
    The International Baccalaureate tests are used as well for students that would like to attend world colleges.
    There are a few more but I opted not to include them.

I have a child in the United States public education system, she has World Geography included in her Social Studies Core every year since pre-K. In my own personal opinion I find that she and many of her peers have strong knowledge in physical, human, environmental, geomatics, and regional geography. I might also add that not all parents take the time to assist in their child's education, I feel strongly that education is not just provided at school but also needs to be incorporated in the home. I work very diligently to make sure that she understands what she is learning and retains the information.

I am sorry you have met a small fraction of poorly educated and socially inept Americans. It is not really accurate though to make such a broad generalization based on the 1, 2, or 30 Americans you have met. I would never base my feelings of the Irish based on the people I met in Boston, especially the ones that tried to bribe me to marry their nephews so they could get green cards.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Roman Banned Banned

Allow me to answer your question with another question.

Why is America so great, while the rest of the world so unimportant?

15. iam Banned Banned

the question is great in what way? do you want to live there? or just to make money?

If america is so great, why do many want to retire elsewhere? south america, asia, southeast asia, europe??

Great in what way and "preference" is everything to 'individuals'.

16. Roman Banned Banned

All the great ways to be great.

Those are a handful of people with wealth to move to a another nation and avoid the crime, poverty, and social unrest by being wealthy Americans. They take their American lifestyle with them, they're not trying to become asian

You know America currently has a very large immigration problem, right? The number of illegal immigrants is in the millions.

17. iam Banned Banned

I have to laugh because what culture?? football and hamburgers? America barely has a culture unless you call capitalism and collective vague hubris american culture, lolol.

That's another example of lack of sophistication and discernment among americans. You tend to collectively lump all 'foreigners' into one category. When in fact it has mostly been african americans, your own people (which you are responsible for) and illegal mexicans crossing the border who cause most of the crime and social unrest. It's easy to scapegoat others. I never said americans are trying to be asian, anymore than I'm trying to be white living in america. There are many immigrant groups who contribute more than they cause problems and this very form of prejudice causes the 'social' unrest you speak of whilst you accept their work and their taxes while you subtly disrespect who they are and their heritage. By the way, the reality is america is not great in every way otherwise you wouldn't need to trade with others for resources, bits of cultural ideas etc, lol. I didn't know sushi, yoga, herbal remedies, indian rugs, and all the goods you acquire are from "america." LOL

Keep believing your conjured fantasies of being inherently "special." LOL

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They won't bomb themselves, all other places are sitting ducks.

19. Roman Banned Banned

I said lifestyle; try to be more discerning.
    But what culture does Mexico have? Burritos and nap time lolol
    What culture does France have? Eating snails and being an asshole lololol
    What culture does Asia have? Having a tiny penis lololololol

Did you just lump all Americans into one category?

Your point...?

Didn't they sell out on their heritage, move to the states, and take advantage of the free nation that my ancestors started, that inspired countless revolutions across Europe, and whose constitution & bill of rights has been the foundation of numerous nations' own constitutions?

And why are you so hung up on 'social rest'? I was speaking of crime, poverty and social unrest in the countries Americans are emigrating to. Americans can afford to avoid the barrios of Latin America when they retire there. They are Americans, after all. Latin Americans immigrate to the US to escape all the stuff Americans don't have to bother with.

But that's why we ARE great- we don't care what you think! We'll buy your stuff for pennies, and you'll like it. If you don't, we'll bomb the fuck out of you.

Fantasy? The world orbits around America. Fuck, you've taken the time to post a thread about America! Why do Americans not care about me and my geography! Wah wah wah!

20. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Living in southern Ontario, one meets a lot of Americans. Though Canadians and Americans are similar in culture, speech and some mannerisms there are some very fundamental differences.

I must say my impression from those Americans I meet while they are travelling in Canada is almost always bad. Rude, arrogant and even obnoxious to the point of insulting anything that does not meet their tastes.

When I have travelled to America(California - loved it, Indiana - Loved it, "Up"state NY - loved it, Montana - REALLY LOVED IT), Americans are just like most any other demographic in my opinion. Some are nice, even more nice when they find you are visiting, some are assholes like anywhere else.

Moral of my story is, Americans: When you travel, behave yourself! You represent your countrymen and women.

21. iam Banned Banned

Of course you care, otherwise you wouldn't be so riled up easily and can't take any criticism. LOL

Why are you too stupid to realize it doesn't matter who "starts" anything as in "your" ancestors if they gain from the PRODUCTION and WORK and CONTRIBUTION of "OTHERS", bitch. Can't wrap your head around that one, can you?? LOL

Why are you too stupid to realize america is an immigrant country?? LOL

Why are you still hung up on "white" american fantasy with foreigners all around you?? LOL

Why do your own people cause poverty, crime, and social unrest?? LOL

Why are you still pretending america is great?? When the majority are caveman likes of you who represent it?? LOL

Why do you brag about american ideology of equal rights and nonracism when you yourself don't really believe in it?? un-american?? LOL.

Why are you such a simpleton to believe others have to "sell" out their heritage to live in america? because you want them to? Right. LOL

Why are you so obviously disingenous, uncouth, and *typical* of an american to equate penis size, which asian penis stays harder than your larger flaccid one, (see, different "qualities) to asian culture, when it's better and more beautiful than american shit you call culture?? Stupidity? american ego? LOL

Why are you hung up on just the ignorance of geography when you KNOW the truth is americans don't know a hole in the ground from their own ass?? LOL

Are you a flagwaving redneck and wanna go kill some "foreigners" for messin with america, Rawrr, Rawrr??? HAHAHA.

Yeah, you sure want everyone to orbit around america and keep it that way. WAAH, WAAAH, AMERICA IS GREAT AND WE ARE SPECIAL DAMMNIT, WE'LL KICK YOUR ASS!!! WE'RE PIGS WITH BIG GUNS AND MONEY!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  22. Roman Banned Banned

I'm having fun.

Why are you here, then?

Racism is as American as baseball.

If their heritage is so great, why are they in America? Obviously because America provides much more for them than their heritage ever will.

So you are an asian. Figures.
    It was a rhetorical device. You presented a stereotyped and unimaginative description of American culture, as if saying so made it true. I presented evidence that it's possible to do that with any culture.

Yes.

And don't you for get it.

23. dting dtong Registered Member

America may not have a collective culture, but it does have a sense of it. It's just based on regional culture rather than national because of the different cultures that have settled in different places.
    New England: Town Hall Meetings are prevalent, as is the history of whaling and fishing culture, plus all of the historical landmarks of the original colonies.
    Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where I live, is known for their mining cultural, iron industry, and snowmobiling. There is a lot of Finnish and Italian culture up here.
    Midwest: Native American culture, farming culture, and most of the cultural stuff is centered around whatever crop is in that area. Jackson, MI is known for their Strawberry Festival, Traverse City for their Cherry festival and famous cherry wine, and there's a place in Byron, IL they have a Turkey Testicle festival.
    Wisconsin/North Dakota/Minnesota - Germanic culture. Wisconsin is known for it's odd love of cheese curds, and various specialty cheeses. North Dakota has the Native American burial mounds of the Sioux, and Minnesota has the Spam museum. (If you think I'm joking, look it up.) Which Spam is a distinctly American phenomenon, even if it is ten different kinds of screwed up.
    Southwest - American Indians, Mexican settlers, original white settlers, they have history and culture based out that part of their history.
    Appalachian Mountain Area - Bluegrass music is a major cultural identifier. It's roots are there, and you can find things like the Carter Family Music Center.
    The southern states, like Missouri is Ozark country, which has a lot of settler history and is known for being the state that Laura Ingalls Wilder, the author of the "Little House On the Prairie" series. Louisiana has that Cajun/Creole culture, and New Orleans, well, what you can find there is amazing.
    Other parts of the South have that easy-going style with plenty of history in the cotton and plantations, and when I think of the South I think of Sweet Tea.

I think there are a couple of regions I haven't covered, but I think I've made my point. America is rick in culture, it's just regional rather than collective.