(Not) installing things on my mac

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by BenTheMan, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

How can I tell my Mac to quit trying to install Safari?

There is a ``not now'' box, but how do I say ``not ever''?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

could you just let it be installed then remove it? :shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I think your issues with your Mac could be corrected with 5 minutes and a crowbar. Then you could buy a real computer!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

It CAME with Safari, and I deleted it.

I could install and delete again, but I suspect then Steve Jobs would try to install Safari again, at some point in the future.

Well, I kind of agree. There is a conservation of ``pains in the ass'' when moving between Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. Mac OS is nice, but only if you want to do things exactly as Steve Jobs wants you to do them. Case in point: I don't want Safari, but Steve Jobs thinks I do. I want to store all of my pictures and music on an external hard drive, but that is not possible (near as I can tell) with iPhoto/iTunes.

I don't know why people are so high on Macs. I think it's one of those ``different for the sake of being different'' things that make white girls with racist fathers date black dudes, and that makes adopting babies from third world countries the ``socially responsible'' thing to do.

I could be wrong, though.

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

They work. They run much faster in actual operation. They don't pull weird shit on me.

At least, that's why I like mine. I had to buy a PC for a job on the net, and the modern internet here no longer supports my Mac OS, so I have both - and the Windows machine does not work. It is trouble, continually.

See, I don't care how it works, and I don't want to spend time tweaking it - it's like my car, the shift pattern is whatever it is. I'm sure there are car aficionados bemoaning the fact that they can't move the steering wheel to the middle and change the colors of the headlights, but when I get stuck in one of their cars and can't figure out how to tune the radio or, once it's settled, how to shut off the dome light that came on automatically or get the GPS I never knew was there to quit turning the engine off and stop calling the official garage of the car to report a malfunction, I miss my car.

I (no exaggeration, literally) spent the difference in price between this POS and an "equivalent" Mac on prime time cell phone minutes to India, trying to get operational under deadline - the Mac had just plugged into the phone jack, accepted my typed in info, and handed me a live screen, back in the days when its OS was supported.

Everyone I know who likes these things either enjoys dealing with them or has a person, an expert friend or a good systems administrator or somebody, guiding them in the dark times.

Meanwhile, the boot time on the super-capable high rev POS is at least four times as long. The comparative launch times of the full service word processors (I could publish an encyclopedia with the Mac, using the handbook. I'd have to take a class, with the POS) likewise, as are the general handling times of my other common doings. The debugging time, the time necessary to make sure nothing has gone wrong in the background (such as, say, a resetting of the parameters of the seven graphs I thought I had finished to match the eighth one I last adjusted, without telling me) is an order of magnitude greater on the POS. It's just a frigging pain, a computer designed to entertain people who like to fool with computers, the English sports car of the computative world. And only continued poverty will ever saddle me with another one.

9. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Tell iTunes to f*ck off!

No, actually, you can have iTunes optionally accept files across hard drives. It's somewhere in the preferences. The default automatically copies everything you drag into the itunes window in the actual iTunes music folder. That can be disabled. Your files will still be listed in the iTunes database, but they can physically be on another hard drive without having to clutter your main drive. I was glad when I found that out, because my macbook doesn't have the biggest hard drive in the world!

Only drawback is if you move a folder or rearrange things. Then iTunes links to a missing file. Which is a tad bit of a pain, but it's only logical that it would behave that way!

10. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Well, in some ways they do. In my experience, that was more true with pre-OSX. Even so, it seems that my macbook runs much more sluggishly than it used to. BTW my hard disk is like 98% full. That may well have something to do with it?

Anyone want to share their personal experiences with macs vs. pc's as far as speed and performance issues/glitches? And OSX, in particular?

As far as acting weird, yes, Windows machines seem to excel at that.

11. John99 Banned Banned

i use my sister mac form time to time and it is great. itunes shoudnt be a problem on an external drive. now afa safar, first of all it is only around 30mb so i cant see why it would bother anyone plus i am pretty sure it is the only html5 browser. if your deleting only the app itself and leaving the plist behind then most likely the os x update will try and re-install it.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why not just install it and forget about it? I think its related to the itunes application, where it keeps popping up to ask you about the Safari, so if you use itunes it will keep popping up .

13. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

You don't get the point: Steve Jobs wants Safari on the Mac. Steve Jobs worships Satan.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well I have a load of useless apps on all my computers, since my computer techs sole ambition in life is to keep me updated. I have had to fight to keep out Vista on my PC and he snuck in a Vista drive when I wasn't looking. There is even a transmac I didn't ask for. I don't see the point of getting worked up about it unless space is a premium.

15. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

What's a Vista drive? And what the heck is a transmac? Sounds... transcendental.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I have no idea what a vista drive is. Being a curious creature, I have discovered it on my computer. A transmac allows you to access mac computer drives and files from your PC. At least, that is what I assume it does.

17. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Does it behave differently than a normal drive?

As far as transmac... the link says :
    The different file systems have been a hindrance sometimes in interoperability between Mac and Windows.

I know from years of having used Mac, that Mac tended to accept Windows files and formats easier than the other way around. One of those was the way that large volumes (the HFS) and their formats were treated. I don't know a whole lot about HFS disk format, but I think it might be more complex than regular Windows formatting.

I know that Mac could easily load DOS/Windows formatted disks, but the other way around was not nearly as easy.

I could easily transfer files from Windows to Mac, but it is harder going the other way.

There were certain audio file formats that would load correctly Windows-->Mac, but wasn't so simple the other way around. Formats that should have been compatible, since they had the same suffix.

I guess one could blame Mac OS if nothing else.:shrug:

Not sure how it has changed since Macs and Windows machines have basically the same processor design instead of Motorola versus Intel or whatever.

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That's me, pre-OSX. 8.2, IIRC, or maybe that was before the upgrade; I've got some kind of chimera machine in a box that was to get me over the gap (bought cheap used) - runs 9.whatever and X both - but I've never bothered.

When ten year old software on fifteen year old hardware, with the computing power of a cell phone and a monitor that outweighs a Thanksgiving turkey, is consistently getting actual work done faster and smoother and more reliably than my friends' shiny new mega power packages, there's something fundamentally wrong.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I agree. I've spent more than 40 years as an IT professional. I once wrote an operating system, I taught classes in relational database theory, I was a pioneer in data security, and I got my shop started on Y2K remediation in 1995. And I use a Mac at home.

I need a Windows box for consulting, and every time I boot it, it's like moving from Hawaii to Detroit. A Macintosh is an appliance. No, it doesn't have the functionality of the Starship Enterprise, but all I have to do is turn it on, push a button, and perfectly toasted data pops out every single time. Then I turn it off, and once or twice a year I take it to a professional mechanic, just like my Mercedes.

A Windows box is a hobby, a science fair project, a delicate laboratory instrument, whatever metaphor you like, but the last thing anyone could call it is a trustworthy appliance. In order to make peace with a Windows box, you have to be the kind of person who regards spending an hour every day looking for lost files, rebuilding corrupted files, and finding your way through counterintuitive three-layer ribbon menus, as the highlight of your day--every day.

Windows was built by programmers for programmers, because they assume that everyone thinks like they do. Macs are built for the other 99.9 percent of the human race.

Windows only works in a government environment. When something goes wrong, you punch H-E-L-P on your telephone, a couple of hours later the Help Desk sends up a geek in a T-shirt, he spends an hour figuring out what's wrong and an hour fixing it, and during those four hours you're having coffee. You don't care if your work is late, because YOU'VE GOT AN EXCUSE!

When most of us have a problem, we start looking for a solution. Government employees start looking for a really good excuse. And boy, does Windows ever give them a lifetime supply of excuses! Windows was custom-made for government offices. Sorry, but I don't run my home or my business that way.

I used to be a shade-tree mechanic. I tore a motorcycle engine down to the main bearings, replaced them, put it back together and it ran fine. I rebuilt the carburetor on my 1951 Chevy. But now I have other things to do, things that are more fun, more interesting, or simply things that add greater value to my life or to civilization. I regard my car as transportation and all I expect from it is functionality. That's why I drive a Mercedes.

In the same way, I used to be a software mechanic. I interpreted memory dumps for people, I fixed errors in operating system code. I wrote the multi-system tape-to-print de-spooling utility that ran round the clock for 13 years and only failed twice--due to a data format that wasn't in existence 13 years previously. But now I have other things to do. I regard my computer as a work tool and a window into cyberspace, and all I expect from it is functionality. That's why I use a Macintosh.
    If you're going to compare Steve Jobs to Bill Gates, Bill Gates should be in prison. I wouldn't let him into my computing center to sweep the floor.

He doesn't know the first thing about managing software projects. He doesn't gather requirements. He just turns his swarm of geeks loose to see what they can build, and then turns his swarm of salesvermin loose to convince us that we'll love it.

He doesn't practice quality assurance, building in quality during every step of the project. He practices old industrial style quality control, build it, then test it, and keep fixing it until it works sort of okay.

QC was fine in the Industrial Era. If 3% of the widgets rolling off the assembly line are bad, you just throw them away and sell the others. But when you're building a software product you're building one single widget. If it's bad, you have to run the entire assembly line backwards, redesign it, and run it forwards again. You need QA: build it right the first time.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Don't know really, I've been using Macs for the last 10 years and have only just come back to using PCs more for reasons that are entirely irrelevant. But my system is new, I have sufficient RAM and disk space, a couple of external hard drives and everything seems to be fine. I am actually quite surprised that I have not had to do anything in the last 6 months since I got the system to rescue it. My prior experience with PCs was really poor, but I am getting used to them again in a positive way.

21. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

In the iTunes Preferences/Advanced tab there's a field for where your Library should be (can be an external disk), and a checkbox for whether iTunes should copy files to your Library. Mix to your preference.

22. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

HA HA HA!!! I like your story, here, guy.

I have an G3 iMac which is mainly for audio recording (old format, simple way out!). What it does, it does well and generally hassle free.

23. Steven Genieus Registered Member

i could not run any of my existing bought software on my cousins mac book pro, make sure you buy software compatible for apple macingtosh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.