Not An Organ Donor? No Kidney For You!

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by goofyfish, May 14, 2002.

1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

A discussion on IRC led someone to present the statement that an Australian Bureau of Statistics survey carried out for the organization, Australians Donate in late 1999/early 2000 found 43% of Australians would not be an organ donor (i.e. said “no” when asked if they would). Reasons ranged from legitimate (have disease precluding donation), to religious, to irrational (doctor may let me die for my organs). 40% of Australians surveyed had NO reason for stating that they would not be an organ donor (or at least no reason they felt comfortable sharing).

I do not know the related statistics for the U.S., but I started thinking about those that need organs. What about a tit-for-tat? Anyone who has not registered as an organ donor would not be allowed onto the transplant waiting list, with exclusions for those with legitimate reasons. We usually consider that we must provide the necessary healthcare to everybody, irrelevant of his or her morality or behavior. If a mass murderer/baby raper/old woman killer/cat skinner receive a transplant when needed, it's difficult to argue that someone who isn't an organ donor shouldn't.

Should a person who would not be an organ donor be allowed to receive organs from other people? Should a non-donor be allowed to change their mind? If so, what would prevent them from refusing to give their organ until the day they actually need a transplant themselves? Or until they reach an age when they are more likely to need such a transplant? Would such a prohibition force a non-donator become one? Would you make a stand against “big brother” tactics, or give a hearty cheer?

Peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

No that is wrong

I AM an organ donar (and there is a big thing going around to increase it using our car licences)

But to force someone to give up something of themselfs (while they are alive) is wrong

Even if you are talking about dead people the family can denie my organs for transplant (all i am stating is my wishes)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I think in 10 or 20 years we will be growing spare parts in tanks, en masse, and it won't matter any more. At least I hope so.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

They would not be forced to give something up. There is no compulsion to participate. All I am suggesting is that you be ineligible to reap the benefits of the donation program if you are not willing to participate completely.

Peace.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't give up something while i lived (except maybe to my family) but i will give them the lot when i am dead

is that wrong?

I love my lung capasity and love to run

i love every bit of me

i don't want to give that up while i am still alive

so i would be inalagerable?

9. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

I think you're on the wrong track. Organ donation programs involve harvesting your organs upon your death, to be given to someone else in an effort to prolong their life. Usually (in America) you sign on your driver's license that you are a participant.

Peace.

10. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Definitely. I dont think anyone should receive a donor if they are not signed as an organ donor themselves. Exception: Children whose parents would not let them be donors. Its not the kids fault. Im a donor, my grandma has 1 kidney that is failing, I say, take what I got if it'll work! I dont understand people that will not be donors. Your saving lives by donating, and by not, your letting perfectly good organs become worm food. It just doesnt make sense to me. Its funny because I read an article on this last night. 1/3 of people on kidney waiting lists are African American, but they percentage of African Americans that donate are really low. They should provide you with some facts and info when asking you to if you want to become a donor. Here, they give you a little check box that asks Donor YesX NoX. Nothing else. Most people check no, I remember people telling me to check no because the hospital will let you die if you are a donor. Complete nonsense. The government or hospitals or someone should educate the public on this one.

Take care

11. Mallory Knox Banned Banned

I think that's a great idea. If you're too selfish to give up your organs, damned if you're getting any from us.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Make Organ Donation the Default Choice?

Why don't they make organ donation the default choice when someone dies? Right now, you have to sign the back of your driver's license (in the U.S.) that says, "Yes, donate my organs!" Why not switch it so that you have to sign to say "NO, leave me intact!"?

Under the current system, when somebody dies no action can be taken to "harvest" any usable organs until it is verified that the deceased wished to donate his organs and a relative or other responsible person signs the necessary paperwork. Many times potentially usable organs are lost because no authorized person can be located during the narrow time period when the organs are viable or authorization is denied by the next-of-kin regardless of the wishes of the deceased.

Making donation the default option would increase the number of donated organs because it would eliminate the need to obtain post-mortem authorization. It seems to me that this would easily and quickly increase the number of donated organs available by a nice margin.

Peace.

13. Brett Bellmore Registered Senior Member

Personally, I've been donating one particular organ, blood, for years. Every three months, like clockwork; I'm into the gallons by now. But I do so voluntarilly, for the health benefits. (If you're a guy, donating blood is good for you!) I'd be highly offended if some third party tried to coerce me into doing so.

I think we'd be better off approaching this from the other direction: Of everyone who makes an organ transplant possible, from the surgeon who does the transplant, to the janitor who cleans the operating room afterwards, only one single solitary individual is expected to do so out of the goodness of their heart, with no expectation of financial reward: The donor.

This is madness. No wonder there's a shortage of organs, when out of some twisted "principle", they refuse to pay for them!

14. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

so ur also saying if someone was bleeding to death and they hadnt got around to donating blood you should let them die?

15. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Not at all. But if a person makes it very clear that they will not donate, they should not expect to recieve a donor, if a situation were to occur.

Take care

16. MISSOURI MULE Registered Member

I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH AN ORGAN DONOR POOL. IF I AM GOING TO BE ELIGIBLE TO GET AN ORGAN IT IS ONLY FAIR THAT I BE WILLING TO GIVE TO SOMEONE ELSE. PLUS, IF I HAVE A REASON FOR NOT GIVING, THAT SAME LOGIC SHOULD PRECLUDE ME FROM RECEIVING....RIGHT?

17. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Missouri Mule

Right! And Welcome to Sciforums!

18. MISSOURI MULE Registered Member

strgrl

Thanks for the welcome, this is a lot of fun

19. kmguru Staff Member

Which one? donating organ or talking about it?

20. MISSOURI MULE Registered Member

KMGURU-

Certainly the latter because the former would render it a mute point for sure!!

21. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

so let these people die then?