North American Union

Discussion in 'World Events' started by FlannelShirtMonster, Sep 25, 2006.

1. FlannelShirtMonster Registered Member

Hello, everyone. Haven't been by in a while, but I found this on the internet and thought of y'all:

Top secret: Banff security meeting attracted U.S., Mexico officials

"We're talking about such an important thing, we're talking about the integration of Canada into the United States. For them to hold this meeting in secret and to make every effort to avoid anybody learning about it, right away you've got to be hugely concerned," Hurtig said.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2006/09/21/secret-meeting.html

Has the US government lost its mind? They're basically keeping this on the downlow, as much as possible, in an attempt to keep the public from hearing much debate on it. I feel betrayed, as if we the citizenry don't even matter at all.

The worst part is that all the loyal republicans in the red states at large will probably support this when it finally does come out (about a week before the change goes into effect) on the grounds that it prevents terrorism or some other such stupid jazz.

Am I being paranoid? Do you believe this is just liberal whining? If that's the case, what's with all the secrecy? And do you all feel like you SHOULD HAVE HEARD OF THIS?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I don't understand the line about "the integration of Canada into the United States." There's nothing in the article to support that assertion. If the writer's purpose was to make the case that people must be fully informed about things that may affect them so that they can judge for themselves what they read, he isn't doing a very good job of it.

I can understand the principle that discussions of security matters must themselves be subject to a reasonable level of security. But today's too-big-for-their-britches governments overdo it and use it as a way of circumventing the democratic process.

Personally I believe it should be a law that everything Rumsfeld does must be on streaming video. The man is way too dangerous.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

When we willingly want to absorb Canada and/or Mexico it will be yesterday's news.

One must ask themselves, "Why hasn't it happened already?"

There's your answer.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

it will happen... because the dollar will drop....

thus, to prop it up, the GDP, of canada and mexico, will be added, resulting in a greater GDP.... giving the dollar more value.

that is why the eu formed..... specifically... since by doing so...
    the EURO.. has become more valueble than the dollar.

joining with canada... is no big deal... they take dollars in canada anyway.

joining with mexico is another, since it has corruption and massive poverty.. all of which needs to be fixed before it can join on equal terms with the us and canada.

which is perhaps the reason, our gov't allows so many mexicans to come to the usa....... to over time... raise the standards in mexico.

its no big deal, i think...

the question, is will THEY MESS WITH THE CONSTITUTION.???

if they try to abandon it, or change it... then it will require riots in the streets.

-MT

8. FlannelShirtMonster Registered Member

Don't put it past them to try to change the constitution. They will not be able to resist.

Anyway, more info:
    http://www.vivelecanada.ca/article.php/20060919132553106

Massive trans line to be built from mexico through the US and into Canada:
    http://www.nascocorridor.com/

What they're basically trying to do, it seems, is make it much easier to send more jobs and capital to china for the benefit and "prosperity" of big corporations. Why aren't the media reporting on this? Lou Dobbs of CNN is the only mainstream voice that has spoken out against it:
    http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0506/09/ldt.01.html

Snippet from the site (search for phrases from this block to get to the point, rather than having to scroll through the whole broadcast):

DOBBS: Border security is arguably the critical issue in this country's fight against radical Islamist terrorism. But our borders remain porous. So porous that three million illegal aliens entered this country last year, nearly all of them from Mexico.

Now, incredibly, a panel sponsored by the Council on Foreign Relations wants the United States to focus not on the defense of our own borders, but rather create what effectively would be a common border that includes Mexico and Canada.

Christine Romans has the report.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

I'm not a leftard or anything, just sick of this crap and the utterly transparent to anyone with a brain way it's being carried out.

9. Genji Registered Senior Member

I'm all for erasing borders and seeing continents unite and pool their resources. As for poverty and corruption the USA is by far the most corrupted of the 3 North American countries with our poverty not far behind Mexico's for many people. (See Louisiana, West Virginia and Mississippi stats along with inner city stats across the nation.) I would rather see Canada lead the way by annexing the US first.

10. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

lol

11. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

Riots..... Re The Only Thing That Will Pressure The Gov't To Keep The Constitution. ....

Anything Less... Will Result In Its Loss.

Dont Let That Happen.

Be Prepared To March In The Streets.

-mt

12. FlannelShirtMonster Registered Member

Ah, haha... You think that the US is as corrupt as... MEXICO? I know it feels good to make such huge political assertions, but lets get real here... Families get lined up and shot and the Mexican government does basically nothing about it. Serial killers roam around and all they need to do is cross an officer's hand with a twenty to get away.

There's plenty of resources all over the world to keep everyone alive. We don't need more centralization... All that leads to is a centralization of Power. That leads to, especially in a country as divierse as the USA, more and more groups of people being marginalized for those who actually have the power. The US though, offsets this a bit with the whole state's rights thing, where all states can set up their own laws. The EU I think does this to an even greater extent. But power is completely irresitiable, and at every opportunity they will increase and centralize it. I think this applies to the EU as well.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Huh??? How could anyone mess with the Constitution more than our too-big-for-its-britches government already has?

Roosevelt started using it for toilet paper seventy years ago and every administration since then has torn off a greater or lesser number of sheets to wipe with. Truman got us used to the idea of setting up a lucrative wartime economy for the benefit of corporate campaign donors without the pesky business of a declaration of war. Eisenhower in a single swoop nationalized the health care, education and charity industries and quietly allowed the draft to be continued during peacetime. Kennedy and Johnson made us dependent on a wartime economy for prosperity. Reagan added a zero to the national debt while masquerading as a libertarian. King George the First found a way to keep us in a state of faux war even after the Cold War Ended, and King George the Second revoked the doctrine of separation of church and state. And somewhere along the way the government was able to reinstitute Prohibition without bothering to pass a constitutional amendment this time. The Supreme Court has abrogated its constitutional duties and just goes along with whatever the legislative and executive branches want to do to us next.

I think the Constitution has been entirely used up. If you look carefully all of it has been torn off and flushed. And there has been no rioting in the streets. Well not over that anyway, except briefly in the 1960s. And even then the anti-war protestors were more grounded in an international Buddhist-flavored pacifist movement than any understanding of the fine points of the Constitution. And the civil rights protestors may have meant well but all we motivated the government to do was to legalize Affirmative Discrimination.

Considering that our largest immigrant community loves what we stand for so much that they want to be able to sing our National Anthem before they've even mastered our language, perhaps they'll actually be a force for reviving the Constitution.

14. FlannelShirtMonster Registered Member

>>Considering that our largest immigrant community loves what we stand for so much that they want to be able to sing our National Anthem before they've even mastered our language, perhaps they'll actually be a force for reviving the Constitution.

Is that sarcasm? My detector's busted.

15. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

American's will never riot in the streets because nothing positive is accomplished from it. It looks bad, it gives the government an excuse to be paranoid and lock people up, weakens the entire country. Riots never make sense and are always an insane idea.

By the way if there is a North American Union, who is supposed to be President?

16. Genji Registered Senior Member

HOPEFULLY a Canadian would be President.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No that's not sarcasm. I'm really impressed that people who have not yet learned one of the world's most infuriatingly difficult languages from one of the world's most mediocre and bureaucracy-strangled educational systems want to sing their new country's national anthem.

18. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Hey... this would be a reasonable way to solve the immigrant problem, add a viable third (and fourth and fifth) political party, and a handful of other useful things. Mexico would be a problem until crime and drug manufacturing got beaten down and the second language wouldn't work too well... but I am sure something could be worked out given time. Canada, on the other hand, has no downsides as it is damn near a part of America already.

I'd give it a shot... but we all know it won't happen in my lifetime without the collapse of western civilization first.

19. P. BOOM! Registered Senior Member

I might point out that French would be a major third languauge!

20. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

It is inevitable, Africa also already has the A.U (though it is established and sponsored by Ghadaffi). It is a major way to combat politican conflicts and enhance the power of NAFTA

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

¿Porqué no? Ya lo hablamos aquí en Aztlán.

22. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Since when did Quebec consider itself part of Canada anyways?
    They aren't invited.

23. Roman Banned Banned

Why do you make such claims without any sort of data? You actually make things up like it's the truth. Mexico is far more corrupt than the US. That's why their economy isn't so great. Too dangerous, too costly to operate business.

Did you know Mexicans come to America, get pulled over by the police, and try to bribe them? It was on NPR, about non-profit organizations that try to help immigrants by explaining to them their new rights and freedoms in the US.