Nominations for Moderator: Astronomy, Exobiology, Cosmology

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by James R, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Nominations are now open for the position of Moderator of the Astronomy, Exobiology and Cosmology subforum.

If you are interested, please nominate yourself. Only self-nominations will be considered valid. Nominations will close on 1 September. Following that, a voting thread with a multiple-choice poll will be opened to elect a moderator.

There has already been some discussion of this in the relevant forum. See the following thread:

[thread]38407[/thread]

In that thread, the following people nominated themselves for the position:

Tristan
    Facial
    sargentlard
    IlikeSalt
    hotsexyangelprincess
    Zero
    vslayer
    Hypercane
    (Q)

If you are on this list, and still wish to run, please confirm your self-nomination in the current thread.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Likewise if your on the list above and do not wish to run or feel that you have been nominated without your own approval (sargentlard I'm looking at you as you did not actually say your were running).

In fact please re-nominate your self all of you to guarantee your place in the election, as your previous nominations are not completely official and will not be tallied! Let that be a warning to you all!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

I guess I still would like to run. I nominate myself.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

I nominate my self.

Thanks
    T

8. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I nominate myself.

I have not had the time to surf these forums but I am interested and well educated in all of the subjects. I would be a responsible moderator. I will moderate fairly and appropriately.

Thank You

9. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I also nominate myself.

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

OK, WCF, I'll nominate myself again.

But whoever gets the position does not necessarily need a background in the subject matter but at the very least be able to recognize the difference between science and pseudoscience and move threads accordingly.

11. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

This is true, for a moment I was worried.

12. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Yes but I think it is a good idea since the mod then has an idea what does belong there and what does not. But of course it can be a learning experience.

Later
    T

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

So I'm sitting here thinking to myself, "Should I say something? Or should I just let it pass? Maybe he'll get elected. It would be funny to have a moderator that has been banned."

Nah, I won't say anything.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Meh. I suppose it doesn't matter if he needs to confirm his nomination anyway. It sure would be funny though.

Anyway, why the sudden interest in a mod for Astronomy? Seems rather quiet in there. Tristan had started his poll a ways back but it didn't go anywhere.

If Astronomy needs a mod maybe a few other forums could use a mod?

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

invert_nexus,

First, Yes they do and in fact another forum is lined up to go right after this one is finished, but only one election at a time, so be patient.

Second, we already considered the "Zero" problem: sense he can't re-nominate himself no worries, but hey electing him would be like electing a dead guy for congress, a funny but sadly possible event.

Now are you going ot nominate your self or what?

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I nominate myself for the biology forum.

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No only nominations for Astronomy, Exobiology and Cosmology subforum at this time!

In fact is going to be a very long time before biology subforum needs a moderator, a very very long time

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I nominate myself for the exo-stuff forum then.

I haven't lost anything for at least a week or so. It's about time I got some practice.

18. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

invert_nexus: On the contrary, my poll showed that 18 people thought a moderator was need and only 9 though there was no need. 1 was undecided. So thats why we even have this thread now.

19. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I think that the moderator needs to know how to moderate, be responsible and know a fair amount about the subjects. I would be a good moderator because I know what would have to be deleted, locked, moved and all the other things that have to do with moderating. I would also know which threads are pseudoscience because I have a good knowledge base in the subjects.

20. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

So which other forums? I was going to nominate someone, but I know she'd rather be history mod. Are all forums getting a mod?

As to nominating myself, I have absolutely no interest in such a thing. I don't understand why anyone wants to be a mod. Seems like endless headache and hassle for no true reward to me. The lure of power maybe? I can understand the urge to help make these forums run better, but the problems of the moment seem to be with too much moderating rather than not enough. My opinion.

Tristan, Yeah. The majority that voted went for it. But it didn't receive a quorum of votes. It requires 50 votes right? That's what I meant.

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Self nominations only, ask your friend then if she wants to nominate her self.

Next in line is in General Science & Technology subforum, that will be about a month from now.

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

She would if she were capable. She won't be back til Friday. Will the nominations still be going then?

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes they are open tell sept-1 or next wed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.