Noah's Ark

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Mickmeister, Jan 3, 2011.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The "so what" part is that this story undermines an understanding of how the world really works.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Yeah, granted. But Spidey, it was written by people that didn't know how the world worked. They didn't have a clue! They took store in bird-signs and divination by chicken-guts. Is it really so surprising, really?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

which brings up the question would god have survived without texts?

uncalled for and unscientific,
    you have been doing a great job at presenting your view/evidence, do not screw it up by making it a personal thing.
    how does your response apply to what i said?
    so you can insult?or is that an attempt to justify your own attitudes for christians?

this is why insults are not scientific, it draws the attention away from the subject matter being discussed..IOW Don't piss ppl off if you want them to listen to you..(didn't i say that to chi once?) which brings up the question are you preaching or teaching?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gmilam Valued Senior Member

True. But face it, while a farmer saving his livestock is much more believable, it's not the Noah's Ark tale. And many people "believe" Noah's Ark is literal fact.

8. twr Registered Senior Member

Back when I was forced to go to Church (I didn't like it, not because I had moral objections, but because I was missing half my weekend), we were never really told to take the Bible literally, but I always found that a contradiction of what religion was all about anyways.

Most of the people I know look at religion as more of a support system or some measure of spiritual well being, but I went to a protestant church (those are the less-retarded of the two, the other being Catholic).

Something has always told me that there was more than just empirical evidence. I really only don't go to church or anything because I don't like the idea of blind-obedience and being told that scientific ideas that are fairly provable by humanities' standards are just "false" because the only thing that's "true" is what's written in the Bible.

9. twr Registered Senior Member

More to the point, there's no geological evidence to support the story.

10. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Ultra: Check posts 25, 29, & 33.
    There is historical circumstance in favour of Noah's Ark. Approximately 8,000 years ago the region we now know of as the Black Sea was fertile, farmed land.​
    At the time you are mentioning, Black Sea level was only 200-300 meters lower than the present sea level. The flooding event did submerge some villages discovered in the last 10-20 years. As you suggest, it could be the origin of the Gilgamish & Noah myths.

I think (not sure) it might have been 8000 BC rather than 8000 years ago that Black Sea level rose swiftly due to the opening of previously closed Dardenelles & Bosphorus Straits.

When the Black Sea was completely evaporated millions of years ago, it was not fertile farmable land. It was like the Great Salt Flats in Utah.

11. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

i have learned that you cannot judge a church by the title they use to affiliate with, (did you know that in order to get the tax exemptions for a church they have to align themselves with a recognized organized religion?)
    i have been to several different types (protestant,baptist,catholic,non-denomination) not because i was searching for a particular denomination,but a particular way of being, more focused on god instead of themselves, these types can be integrated in any title of religion,IOW you can find god no matter what the label of the religion is. (but i confess also that i tend to lump all the bad religion into the catholic label)

there are churches that believe the same as you, but they are hard to find.(i attend one now)

12. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

As a child I was forced to attend a christian school for my daily indoctrination.One fine day while at school we had an assembly in the Gym.A special Man came to visit us for the purpose of a little show and tell.Being around 8 yrs old then I pretty much believed it all hook,line and sinker.This special Man talked with us about a journey he and others had taken to Mount Ararat.After the talk of this journey came the show and tell objects.This Man showed us students small pcs of petrified wood encased in glass.Can you guess where he said it came from? Yeppers,this wood was from the ark itself.Proof!
    You can imagine our surprise and excitement of this wood from the ark!

I was lucky enough to be born with enough common sense which enabled me to shed the whole damn religious garbage that was forced upon me as a child.

13. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Wrong!
    If the deluge that created the flood was fresh water then all marine animals would have perished - so they would have been taken aboard the ark.

likewise if we had a rain of salt water (but whoever heard of one of those) all fresh water animals would have died.

Either way Noah would have required extensive aquarium equipment.

well perhaps, but that isn't a scientific answer, so it has to be discarded in a discussion of the scientific validity of the flood myth.

That is not evidence of a flood

there is no evidence for any of that - its just some stuff that's been made up to cover the gaping holes

14. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

I dunno Trav - you don't find too many Catholic Creationists

15. phyti Registered Senior Member

-Yes, at the time he was observing and later, but before the deluge.
    He states [gen 6:3] that he would only tolerate those conditions for 120 yr.
    -The group (except Caleb) fabricated a story to avoid confronting
    the inhabitants, out of fear or lack of faith in Yaweh or both.
    -No, you have a misunderstanding of the events.
    - The Nephilim were offspring from relations between women of Earth
    and spirit sons of Yaweh. This was another condition contrary to his
    prpose for the earth, thus his judgement.
    -Knowing that Nu 13:33 is about a group lie, that is true.
    -The Nephilim were at the most hybrid humans, and part of a corrupt
    earth, so they died.
    All evil influences would not have been removed unless Satan and his
    followers were destroyed, but that was reserved for a later time.
    Isn't it a little foolish to compare the abilities of a human to
    those of a supreme being?

16. Saquist Banned Banned

This marks several assumptions, that every species is preserved.
    Only the Primaries were necessary.
    Preying upon one another isn't a factor if one is accepting they were gathered orderly.
    Earth's atmosphere isn't going to be depleted either
    Even Jesus displayed miracles of feeding thousands with very little.

If you're going to even make this argument you have to do it seriously with the full scope of knowledge we have not just scientifically but scriptural.

17. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

That story would be....?

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

A month in or under thousands of feet of fresh water will kill most water animals as well.
    Then you still need the entire body of evolutionary theory and millions of years, to produce the "variations".
    The story specifically claims that all "kinds" were included.
    The Creator could also shrink them to fit into Noah's shoebox, for the duration of the flood, and re-expand them afterwards. If that kind of explanation is satisfactory.
    Then all vegetation was not covered with thousands of feet of water for a month.
    All currently exposed land was subjected to the force of hundreds of feet of moving water falling hundreds of feet in a few miles. For comparison, the Mississippi River is a couple of dozen feet deep and drops less than a thousand feet in over a thousand miles. For an example of what a much smaller flood of that type will do, check out the topography of the Scablands mentioned by Mi ke gal above.
    Drowning a mammoth in thousands of feet of rising rain water, and then draining it away to the ocean or sinkholes underground in a few days leaving their weeks-drowned carcasses stranded in flood debris, would not be a quick way to kill it (they could presumably swim, all elephants can) or a way likely to preserve groups in proximity, or a way likely to preserve their bodies undeteriorated.
    Even plants with the special features adapting them to shallow flooding would normally be killed by inundation under hundreds of feet of fresh water for a month.
    You have first a greenhouse effect capable of steam-sterilizing the planet (on Venus, it melts lead), and second a huge volume of water flowing uphill and staying there for a month.
    There is no such sequence possible - water does not wait around until after it has altered some geography and then flow into it.

You do (it was an official Church position until fairly recently). They just aren't politically organized - an advantage of their sectarian politics being top-down.

A common Catholic work-around among the better educated, encountered among botanists and other scientists (Jesuit schools produce a lot of botanists), is that everything is a product of evolution except humans. Another is the God-guided evolution concept.

19. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

You haven't got the hang of this, have you?
    Where science doesn't do the job, there are miracles to fill the gap.

With species. Just one kind of each animal went on the ark.
    So one pair of birds. Doves.
    Once in their separate ark cages, God made them fall into a deep sleep, so that they wouldn't be any trouble.
    Then, when the ark landed, God multiplied them back into their separate "species", as the long-age-earth scientists call them, and transported them by miracle to their correct destinations.
    To stop the greenhouse effect, God made a cooling breeze, and may have dimmed the Sun down a bit.
    The water disappeared into deep caverns in the earth that God excavated for the purpose

Getting the idea now?
    Creationist science only remains science as long as they can codge together some pseudo scientific explanation.
    Failing that, God miracled it to happen.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  20. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

What - no ice giants???

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Au contraire - I am preparing the ground for the introduction of my new book.

I got a look at the sales figures for Behe's opus, and realized that my life of poverty could be a thing of the past, with a little effort. The central idea is that the earth was small and with lighter gravity (explains giants, dinosaurs, etc), and then it got hit by a very large, very slowly moving (relative speed) ice comet or comets. That explains the flood, and absorbing all that water made the planet swell to its current size - separating the continents and the animals, all that stuff.

I have to keep the details back, pending publication, you understand. Don't want to get scooped.

22. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

earth as a sponge??
    how does that work?

23. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I don't think there's a shovel large enough to scoop that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!