No foods no drinks for 8 months, is this possible?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by kira, Jul 27, 2010.

1. kira Valued Senior Member

I've just watched this documentary about Buddha boy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v29clGMWU84

the boy hasn't eaten or drank anything for 8 months while meditating. One scientist there said he is in hibernating state. Is this possible??

p.s.: sorry if this is in the wrong section, I am actually more concern with the scientifical explanation, but since this relates with meditation and buddhism, perhaps I should put it here.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Nope. India is full of religious frauds, it's an industry.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kira Valued Senior Member

It's in Nepal...! Did you watch the video?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kira Valued Senior Member

From wiki:

In 2006, Discovery Channel showed a 45-minute documentary titled The Boy With Divine Powers. One of the aims was to establish whether Ram was indeed abstaining from all sustenance, water included, by filming him continuously for four days and nights. On their first attempt, in January 2006, the film crew was required to stay outside a guarded barbed-wire fence, and their camera's infrared capabilities did not pick up evidence of a body at the base of the tree where Bomjon sat during their non-stop recording. On a second attempt a few weeks later, however, the film crew was able to film Ram continuously for 96 hours, day and night, during which time he did not change his position and did not drink any fluids or eat any food. As Discovery Channel's commentator concluded: "After 96 hours of filming, Ram has defied modern science by continuing his meditation and remaining alive." According to scientists on the documentary, an average person would be expected to die from kidney failure after four days without drinking any fluids (although cases of inedia lasting for a whole week have been observed and the recorded Guinness World Record of inedia is eighteen days). The boy showed no signs of classical physical deterioration caused by dehydration. A close inspection by the film crew of the area around the tree where Ram was sitting revealed no hidden food supply or water pipes.​

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Close enough.

9. Nasor Valued Senior Member

There's a big difference between 96 hours and 8 months. Also, there would be many ways to cheat - an intravenous saline pack hidden under his clothes, for example.

10. kira Valued Senior Member

I mean, those people from UK came to film him for 96 hours, and they watched that there was neither drinking nor eating activities. He was then continuing meditating for months. The 96 hours were important, because according to scientists on the documentary, an average person would be expected to die from kidney failure after four days without drinking any fluids (although cases of inedia lasting for a whole week have been observed and the recorded Guinness World Record of inedia is eighteen days). The boy showed no signs of classical physical deterioration caused by dehydration. A close inspection by the film crew of the area around the tree where Ram was sitting revealed no hidden food supply or water pipes. source

11. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I don't really see your point. 8 months without water would be astounding, 96 hours isn't. And again, there are ways to cheat, like the intravenous saline packs hidden under his clothes that I already mentioned.

12. kira Valued Senior Member

It was already checked that there was no hidden nutrient supplies. I was thinking he probably can absorb water from his surrounding air, absorb minerals from the soils, and vitamins (at least D) from the sun

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I thought you'd mention that (Hi Kira!), but you neglected to mention (although it was in your original quote):
    In other words, it would appear that the guy left during the night (from behind the screen and using darkness to hide his disappearance)... Where did he go? To a restaurant?

In other words the 96 hours is attested to (but that also happens to be less than 25% of the current record) but on one occasion at least he wasn't proven to even be there when he supposedly was.

As with the vast majority of these "miracles" this has not been verified scientifically, only by TV crews (who have a vested interest in it being genuine).

14. Nasor Valued Senior Member

No, it said the area where he was sitting was checked. It doesn't say that they checked under his clothes.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The only way to be sure is to put him in a clinical environment with strict security. Otherwise it's not a valid experiment.

16. kira Valued Senior Member

Actually, dudes, a friend of mine send that discovery video link to me, and he is living near where the Buddha boy meditated. I did not know what to comment

At the same time, I feel curious, how could possibly a person meditate so long without eating or drinking. If they're cheating, what kind of benefits anyway by starving themselves.. If I sit down 8 hours in an aeroplane, next couple of days my body feel pain everywhere... you can't sit for months! Even if you secretly eat or drink, you'd be seriously injured! Why would anyone harming themselves for no purpose anyway...

p.s.: your explanations make sense, though!

p.p.s.: hi again, D!

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The advantage is his family gets the donations from gullible rubes.

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I highly, highly, highly doubt that.

19. kira Valued Senior Member

I should remind myself that this is sciforums. @_@

20. kira Valued Senior Member

Doubt what?

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I doubt that he went eight months without food and water.

22. Ja'far at-Tahir Grand Ayatollah of SciForums Registered Senior Member

I also agree that there has to be some sort of trickery a foot. 8 months with absolutely no food or fluids is physically impossible.

23. InTheFlesh77 Set the controls... Registered Senior Member

I smell bull...a la David Blaine...