'No evidence' for extraterrestrials, says White House,....

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by phlogistician, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Reiku Banned Banned

The alcubierre drive would require an enormous amount of energy if it was used to travel at superluminal speeds. There is a unique difference.

You could still travel a fraction off the speed of light and never need to invoke superfluous amounts of energy. I don't understand this:

''Worse, those in a Alcubierre drive space ship travel in "real time" and thus to go to another galaxy would only require a couple of hundred thousand or so generations. ''

Also, you are rationalizing our capabilities to 1/4000th of the speed of light using the Sling Shot effect. The Sling Shot effect depends on the speed of the planet and the rotation. Find a large enough planet, or any cosmic object to drag you round, with it moving at a reasonably fast speed then you will break those lower speeds easily.

ps... this wouldn't even need to be hard. Find a planet moving at half the speed of light and sling shot it. You will get back a speed nearly the velocity of light.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reiku Banned Banned

I also covered other possibilities of intergalactic space travel, but it just occurred to me that I have missed probably the most talked about solution - a tachyon drive. Just consider, that if neutrino's are tachyon particles like experimentation would suggest, then we might be well on our way to a tachyon drive for warp speeds.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Reiku Banned Banned

A universe with an infinite amount of possibilities... we should really start opening our horizons and stop these silly questions of ''how will they get here''? That question is based on our limitations, were we are quite obviously ignoring the fact they are aliens, possibly greately more intellectual than ourselves and possibly with an advanced understanding of science itself. The limitations we put on them would most not likely mirror them very well. They are our limitations. Not the other way round.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

But if you travel at a fraction off the speed of light, then as shown, within 50 LY of us there is diddly squat.

How can you so positively state what it does or doesn't do if it doesn't even exist?

Well an advantage of traveling close to the speed of light is time goes slower for you, so you can travel long distances without needing generational ships.
    But such is not the fate of someone on an Alcubierre drive space ship. Time passes for them at the same rate as it does here. Which means if it takes 100 years to get somewhere they need three or four generations to make the trip.

The Sun is far larger than any other planet.
    The slingshot effect is not affected by the speed of the planet or the planets rotation.

We know of no planets moving anywhere near that fast in our solar system or of any of the planets we've discovered.

8. Reiku Banned Banned

I have been reading this line again:

''Worse, those in a Alcubierre drive space ship travel in "real time" and thus to go to another galaxy would only require a couple of hundred thousand or so generations. ''

Are you suggesting that it will take a lot of time to do something here? Going to another galaxy using the alcubierre drive is relatively small. I don't think you understand how it works. Time dilation does not have any effect becuase we are not really moving in spacetime, spacetime is moving the hypothetical craft.

You may fold spacetime up like an envelope and make two points meet faster by decreasing possible freedom in front of the craft and by expanding the space behind the craft. The effect is local, non-relativitic and takes no time at all. Not ''generations'' as I think you have misunderstood.

9. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Except you have to suggest a reason why they would pick us out of the billions of other stars when nothing we have done would be detectable more than about 50 LY away.

Why come here at all?

10. Reiku Banned Banned

(1) - The physics tells us what it does. The equations tell us what it does. They are only this way because they act as real valid solutions to relativity, so if we are able to create such a drive, then we will find that it will act according to the theoretical model. And a fraction of the speed of light is not diddly squat.

(2) - Right, well I've answered this above. The drive is not subject to relativistic dilation effects. It is outside of all those problems. It will take you from one place to another in quite a fast amount of time.

(3) - Yes it is. The speed in which the object enters the gravitational pull of a planet, star ect. and will be slingshotted away at twice the speed the object is moving at. I suggest you read some wikipedia on this subject as well.

11. Reiku Banned Banned

Why does a family take a trip to the local zoo?

Why do scientists tamper with bacteria on their test?

And it may not be about ''picking us''. They may have come across us accidently, they may have been visiting this earth for many years, maybe even 4 billion years ago when life first emerged on earth; who knows, we may have even been genetically modified by aliens as the enigmatic theory goes.

12. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Why, you seem to be confused about most everything.

We don't use gravitational lensing to find planets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_lens

And with Kepler's approach, time isn't that big of an issue.
    It looks at all 170,000 stars at the same time.
    It looks for dimming as a planet transits it's star.
    The only time is at issue is the orbital speed of the planet.
    For earth like planets in the GLZ that will be roughly the same as the earth, about 1 year.
    We've been looking for 3 years, but are still sifting through the data and verifing if the potential hits we have seen are in fact planets.

But the fact remains, we have found but 33 planets and only ONE planet in the GLZ that is at all earthlike, but it is too massive to likely support life.

13. Reiku Banned Banned

I told you, gravitational microlensing has been suggested to find planets. Even if this is not the method we use today to find planets, you may take whatever method they do use. It does not deter the fact of what I said.

14. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Because they know it's there.

No civilization over ~50 LY from here would know we exist so why would they come?

Nope.
    There are hundreds of billions of stars in our galaxy alone, the odds of showing up at this unremarkable star are far far worse then winning the lottery.

15. Reiku Banned Banned

16. Reiku Banned Banned

Yet if the universe is truely teeming with life, then the odds are remarkably deduced!

In fact, if you have millions of civilizations as a rough estimate to each galaxy of the universe, then you will find the chances of even a hand full of civilizations never meeting or knowing of each other existences would be remarkably rare.

17. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

And yet we've seen nothing to suggest the galaxy is teeming with life.

Indeed, just the opposite appears to be true.

18. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

19. Reiku Banned Banned

Well, how noticable would other life be???

Saying we have not seen any evidence is rather a reflection on the fact we have not even travelled outside our own star system, never mind traversing the stars looking for life. I am not surprised there is no extra evidence.

20. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Well life on this planet totally changed the atmosphere of the planet and it's color and so on, so yeah, I'd say very noticable.

A planet with a civilizaton advanced enough to go space hopping, even more so.

Well we've seen our entire solar system and there is no evidence of any life besides us.

As to the nearby stars WTF do you think SETI has been doing all this time?

We don't need to travel anywhere to detect the signature of another intelligent life.

And so far, not a peep.

21. Reiku Banned Banned

Yeah, I know about SETI, I was hoping my question would have been taken a bit more literal. I mean exactly how do you search for life... it is one thing searching for planets and stars but surely searching for life is much more difficult due to a number of factors.

22. Reiku Banned Banned

For instance, I am aware if it is intelligent life, you may think about looking for mining operations on asteroid belts. But in all my years, I think this is the only method of finding aliens I am aware about. Starships maybe? If so, what about all the life which hasn't managed to make it into the deep of space yet? They will go unnoticed surely?

23. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Yeah, much easier.

Communication patterns are not natural and would stick out.