NK nukes?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Undecided, Feb 12, 2005.

1. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

OK Odin, Im no nuclear scientist.

I know tho that what hapened at Chernobyl was just a radiaoactive fire, not an explosion. What size of atom bomb would create the same amount of fallout?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

It would have to be a damn big one. Hiroshima and Nagasaki produced hardly any fallout that lasted more than a day and Bravo's fallout took years to kill you, if at all. Chernobyl killed you damn fast.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KOE Registered Senior Member

My main concern has always been this. The people who control the nukes of any country, and the ones with the most to lose. If a country with nuclear weapons is going to fail, then there is the risk the guy at the top decides he has nothing left to lose.

I would also not be worrying about retailiation. 2-3 Nukes could cripple any nation. Yes, we could pummel them into the ground afterwords. (and hope China isn't too jumpy when they see the missles heading in thier general direction) But that hardly changes the fact that LA, Chicago, and Houston, have been destroyed. Those 3 citys would be in NK's projected range, and have a combined population nearing 10 million.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

The nagasaki and hiroshima bombs cointaminated those areas for several several years,

And jenny even the smallest nuclear explosions spread hundreds of miles.

If you want to talk about sending a nuke to korea.. they have vast tunnel systems.. and it would take alot to reach them at those depths.

/\ its those sorts of opinions that lead to countries getting nuked, when you forget the facts and the past nukes seem to be a great option dont they?

8. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

The north koreans are atleast 2 decades behind on making the taepo dong 2 missile in any efficient form in which it wont be shot down.

9. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

If they could reach CHicago wit a nuke, they could reach a hellofa lot more citys too.. perhaps theyd prefer to take out Las Vegas, thats a real symble of American capitalism..

how do we know that? The NK govt. wouldnt boast about their secret hidey holes, would they?

10. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

they dont, that information comes from secret reporters and deserters who tell stories about vast underground tunnel systems.

11. Stokes Pennwalt Nuke them from orbit. Registered Senior Member

Contamination at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was really only militarily hazardous for 12-18 hours after the blasts. Reconstruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki began within seven days after the attacks. At that point GZ was habitable 24/7/365.

The weapons used, particularly at Hiroshima, are two of the dirtiest types of bombs ever created (in a yield/ejecta ratio) but they were airbursts. They were exploded high enough in the air that their fireballs did not impinge upon the earth's surface. Therefore, less debris was churned up and coated with fission fragments, leading to a secondary nuclear effect (fallout) that was barely remarkable at all.

Staged, tampered weapons and those which are delivered close to the earth, are all huge producers of fallout.

12. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

Hiroshima and nagasaki were extremely contaminated for years to come, visable with all the defects that appeared over time.

13. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

Perhaps the fallout was gone in 18 hours but people stil got radiation sicknes + cancers long after that.

14. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Whatever they took up in those 18 hours stuck with them and was actually incorperated into their bones. That has absolutely nothing to with the ground though. A week after zero hour you could roll around on the ground, eat local food, and do whatever you want short of cannibalism and be perfectly fine.

15. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

ye but as soon as babys were born the mutations were terrible, not to mention the amount that cancer rates jumped by.

16. Stokes Pennwalt Nuke them from orbit. Registered Senior Member

Er, no. As I said, reconstruction began within seven days after the attack and the city was habitable 24/7 after one week. Contamination on the ground was very slight, and nonexistent once they swept away the heavy metals that had radioactivity induced through neutron activation.

The physical defects of the inhabitants who were exposed to the weapon radiation stem from the instant of detonation, yet showed themselves over time because their symptoms take a long time to manifest themselves. They didn't show up over time because they were incurred over time.

There have been a total of exactly zero cases of generational genetic defects related to radiological contamination. This is because the threshold to cause genetic damage is above the threshold necessary to cause sterility.

17. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

18. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

Err Perhaps I'm missing something here but...

Kim seems happy doing his thing in his toy kingdom. If he wants to be left alone he only need hide his nukes in his own cities.
    No delivery system required, no great number of nukes needed.
    Still want to invade?

"Give me one reason why I shouldn't kill you."
    "I'm wired to explode if anybody kills me"

The Secret of Monkey Island.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Dee Cee

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  19. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

You think hes such a maniac he'd rather snuf out his own country than be pushed outta power?

perhaps Sadaam woulve done that if he had nukes..

20. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

You think hes such a maniac he'd rather snuf out his own country than be pushed outta power?

Well for forty odd years the USA were prepared to accept total destruction rather than bow to communist rule.......
    Besides once you've sited your nukes and told the world about it chances are that nobody would be stupid enough to try and push you out of power anyway.

Dee Cee