niknames for germans during ww2

Discussion in 'History' started by ashpwner, Sep 1, 2007.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

pre-wright bros.?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

you're joking, right?
    you do realize the wright flight was the first sustained flight in a heavier than air craft, right?

anyway:
    http://unmuseum.mus.pa.us/germufo.htm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. maxg Registered Senior Member

WWII era nickname for Germans. Was used in at least one song from the era. In response to question originally posed in thread.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

the only ones i can think of are "jerries" and "krauts"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Not a joke at all: they were designed, some were built.
    Never claimed they flew.
    But the fact that they were even drawn up as serious proposals negates the German claim to have "invented" them.

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

oh now oli, you're being a little ridiculous here aren't you?
    let's see, i'll go build a faster than light aircraft. i won't gaurentee she'll fly but by golly i'll invent it though.
    some things like that will work. babbages differential engine for example.
    although he never built one the design is solid.
    the reason he never built it was because of the tooling of the day wasn't sufficient.
    other things will not work, davincis ornithopter for example, you know, the flapping wing job?

9. draqon Banned Banned

T-34
    Yak 1
    pre Kalashnikov: Avtomat Fedorova

not true. Russia received a lot of food, especially rotten meat, from USA, but military equipment was Russian only and not west or USA.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  10. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Trucks yes, but the German mechanized formations weren't exactly in great shape themselves. I seem to recall they were reduced to eating their horses. The Russians were very keen on using their own tanks, but I am pretty sure they did use a great many "western" trucks.

11. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

http://www.geocities.com/mark_willey/lend.html

From the Russians own records, material that was supplied from the United States during WWII.

SUMMARY
    MUNITIONS $4,651,582,000 NON-MUNITIONS 4,826,084,000 ---------------- Total 9,477,666,000 Note: the figure of $11 billion includes services as well as goods furnished.
    The U.S. Government has never released detailed reports on what was sent in Lend-Lease, so Major Jordan's data, gleaned from the Russians' own manifests, is the only public record. More than one-third of Lend-Lease sent was illegal under the terms of the act which specifically prohibited "goods furnished for relief and rehabilitation purposes."

It should be kept in mind that Russia was an ally of Japan throughout the war, that it had been the ally of Hitler during the first two years of the war, that its division of Poland with Germany started the war, that it was an agressive imperialist force that attacked Finland and subverted the Baltic states as well, that it had announced that it intended to take over the world and that most of the aid sent in 1945 was sent after Stalin's February speech in which he said he would continue the war but against the United States.

Franklin Roosevelt's alter ego and Lend-Lease administrator Harry L. Hopkins, a KGB agent, declared to Russia before a crowd at Madison Square Garden on June 22, 1942, that: "We are determined that nothing shall stop us from sharing with you all that we have." He was not joking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2007
  12. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

12,000 tanks and combat vehicles, 400,000 trucks, 13,000 locomotives and railway cars, with out this Russia would have been sucking the big one, and they would have ended up speaking German.

As for rotten meat, if you care to check out the lists, the meats that was shipped from U.S. manufactures were smoked, canned, pickled, or dried, if your people were getting rotten meat it was from your own leaders, and failed supply system, as they made sure they got the best of everything edible first, and the troops on the ground got the left over, the U.S. shipped very little fresh meat, and the amounts shipped would indicate by the amounts that it went to Stalin's table, and the Government big shots.

http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/geust/aircraft_deliveries.htm

13. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Interesting you should mention Da Vinci, the man credited with "inventing" the tank, the submarine, the helicopter...

To go back to the discoidal aircraft, if someone built one (lack of power being the main drawback) then anyone that comes later cannot be said to have invented it: first practical, first fown, first in service certainly.
    But not invent.

or maybe

14. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

belgium, dude. belgium.
    antwerp, to be specific.

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

you can take a train from the netherlands to antwerp.

16. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

yeah...i did that.
    i didnt buy a ticket, and i got a 250 euro citation.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

jesus...what a fascists!

That's why they don't have trains in the USA.

18. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

yeah...i dont even remember why i didnt buy a ticket. i had the money, im sure...its only like 30 euros or something.

*shrug*

19. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

o.k so thye were named after foods ?