Nigger Crap

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Orleander, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sybil Registered Member

a black joke and a nigger joke are two different things. i don't mind black jokes, hey, i make some myself, but nigger...now thats has cross the limit. its not even a joke. there's a difference between a joke and a racists statement. its an offensive word that should not ever be repeated. im multiracial, and have never been called the n word but i have been called mulatto, high yellow, pee, etc. i don't understand how some ppl can be so ignorant. he should be lucky that this is over the internet. one can just imagine what the outcome could have been if this was in public. blacks make black jokes to each other. once another race especially whites start cracking some jokes, then its no longer a joke.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sybil Registered Member

i also must add that the ppl on this site are a lot more nicer than others (topix.com)
    i would ignore that site if i was y'all. especially the African American Forum

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

This statement reeks with racism. Or is racism to white people ok in your book.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I guess you never met the poster, wellcookedfetus.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

so it's ok for blacks to make joke to blacks about whites, but when whites make jokes to whites about blacks its wrong...............how do you figure that without predjudice against whites.
    I feel humour about race, religion is only ok when it is in good taste with humourous intent. regardless of race,colour of the teller

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

My congratulations to Orleander on this post.
    It's something on the site that I was repelled by when joining, and has not bothered me since, simply because I have been hiding my head in the sand.

When do offensive "jokes" become unacceptable?

In the workplace, it is unnacceptable when a person feels intimidated by them,
    or for some reason relating to the comment, is less able to to their job well.
    Employers are pretty hot on it because it costs them money.

When do offensive jokes become unacceptable on sciforums?

As I've said before, I quickly stopped looking at the section because I didn't like the atmosphere there. Hateful. The posts that Oleander has linked to may be particularly offensive, but why were they not deleted?

We have voted on racism before, let's vote on "jokes" that talk in terms of "niggers"

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  10. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

Richard pryor was one of my favourite comedians, his nigger jokes were well funny, a word which has been evolved by black people to a modern term meaning different things , and as black culture is embraced it becomes used as an everyday word.
    is the problem with....
    A non-black person saying the word.
    The context the word is used.
    The fear of reviving memories of slavery days.
    The history of the word.
    the actual word 'nigger'.
    or the way the usage will be percieved?

11. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

engaging politically correct idiots. it has nothing to do with what you just said.

12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

So, no nigger jokes? Is that what you're saying? What about Pollock jokes? Or Jew jokes? Or, whatever?

The title of the thread was "the most offensive jokes ever", so I don't really understand why everyone is so, um, offended.

I might also add that we really should change the name of this thread if we're worried about offending potential new members. It's one thing to have an offensive jokes thread that tells jokes involving the word "nigger"; it's another to have a section entiltled NIGGER CRAP in the main forum. I think that is way more offensive to potential members than a joke thread.

Sure, if they click on the thread they'll see that it's about someone being offended by the nigger jokes, but if you just end up here thru a goggle search and see a thread titled NIGGER CRAP, what are you going to think? Especially when it's under Ethics, morality and justice! You're going to think you've stumbled upon some white supremist website, that's what.

13. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

You are right. I have been thinking the same thing. The poster who originally made the thead was so concerned with "Offensive Jokes" thread.
    I don't understand all the fuss about this either. I think the title of the thread OFFENSIVE pretty much sums it up. If you are easily offended don't read them.

But then turns around and makes a thread called NIGGER CRAP.....As Madanthony has said, it really doesn't make much sense :shrug:

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

don't miss a single opportunity, do you?

15. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Listen.....Stop harrassing me! and Trolling.

Did you say anything to any other members here who also finds this thread pointless?

The thread is pointless and Mad and Anti flag made the same points I was thinking myself.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Can you NOT tell the difference?

Well, I guess you make your own point about not reading the topic. See #10 for my summary, or, here, let me make it easier for you:

You know, so you don't have to trouble yourself to actually click on the link.

Or consider Invert's take on the issue:

Can you tell the difference between sharing some of the stupidest and most offensive stuff you've encountered in your day and being downright mean-spirited? Or does the difference confuse you?

An interesting consideration. I bet it's really offensive to the people who want to complain about how offensive it is without reading it.

Well, I was thinking to change the title to "Nigger Shit", but that's even worse.

But when I run a Google search, you are the top result: "It's one thing to have an offensive jokes thread that tells jokes involving the word "nigger"; it's another to have a section entiltled NIGGER CRAP in the ..."

Thank you for clearing that up for the people who might stumble across the thread.

Of course, the search also led me to one of our old friends complaining at another board about someone who "invaded his privacy" by running his name/user ID through a search engine and dredging up some Sciforums-related crap.

So, all-in-all, that venture wasn't a total waste. Not only have you helped protect Sciforums' good name, you've also provided some entertainment.

• • •​

Nothing unexpected there.

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

You're being a bit unfair here. I never defended Norsefire's specific "jokes". I completely agree that most of them weren't even jokes. I was speaking in defense of the thread in general.
    Fraggle made a big deal about possibly offending potential new members. I think having a thread titled NIGGER CRAP in the main forum is far more offensive to a casual observer than some idiotic jokes in a thread titled "offensive jokes".
    I would suggest something on the order of Overly Offensive Jokes.
    No longer true. I'm down to number 3! Number 1 is:
    Wolf Folklore Collection: Nigger Crap Game (I Got Mine)http://www.lyon.edu/wolfcollection/songs/blairnigger1239.html
    Happy to be of service. I just hope this post doesn't put me back at number one on google!

18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

This and that

Fair 'nuff. I just felt the notion of offense we were dealing with was more specific than the thread in general.

Also, I'm guessing I ran a more specific search. At any rate, though, I intend to let this topic run its course, and when the time comes that I need to get out my green hat, it will be shuffled off to the Cesspool. I figure it's only a matter of time.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We have given this a great deal of thought. Last year Plazma ruled that we will not allow screen names with embedded profanity. The reasoning was:

Hi Sweetie, how are you doing with your geometry homework?

Just great, Mom. I found this wonderful website called SciForums where all these really smart people answer questions.

Oh that's cool! Let me see.

Okay. Yeah, here's one by my favorite new buddy. He's a graduate student in mathematics at M.I.T. and is name MotherFucker.
    It hardly matters whether we think it's okay, does it? It seems that every African-American comedian devotes a certain portion of his schtick to jokes about Euro-Americans. One memorable one was when Michael Flatley's "Lord of the Dance" was on tour. The joke was, "You ever notice how when white people dance, their bodies don't move from the waist up?"

I remember when the movie "White Men Can't Jump" came out. Euro-Americans were quietly whispering to each other, "What do you think would happen if one of us made a movie and called it 'Black Men Can't Read'?"
    Comedians have a well-known rule: "If it bends, it's comedy. If it breaks, it's not." It's not just about subject matter, or language. The social environment counts, as well as sheer time. I remember it was two weeks after Steve Irwin's death before any comic had the balls to make a joke about it.
    Now two weeks later that was funny. But I don't think we would have laughed at it a week earlier.

Some racial jokes bend, others break. It's not easy to explain why, and sometimes you can't even figure out why. There's no denying that of all the ethnic minorities in America, the African-American group is different in quite a few ways. They're Americans, they speak English, and on the average their families have been in this country longer than ours, yet the intermarriage rate is lower than any other ethnic community, even the notoriously conservative Japanese-Americans. Buried somewhere in that difference is the reason that jokes about Euro-, Asian-, Mexican-, Jewish- and even Arab-Americans bend while jokes containing the N-word break when told by anyone except African-Americans.
    Now that's a slightly different question. Scholarship is our duty and scholarship has no taboos. We study language, we study humor, we study politics and race relations, so it's our right and our duty to discuss offensive jokes if somebody presents evidence supporting the hypothesis that there is a need to do so.

If there is no need, however, then what's the reason for posting them? It can only be to make people laugh.

I will present my own opinion, as a Moderator and as an elder of this virtual community, but it is just about the narrow topic of jokes using the N-word: it's going to break more often than it bends. More than perhaps any other controversial post we could allow--more than outrageous profanity, more than hateful remarks about religions, more than offensive jokes about any other ethnic group--offensive jokes about African-Americans are going to piss people off.

Now we can piss off our members because they're "family" and they can complain, as they are doing right here. But when somebody stumbles in here from a Google search, looking for science and scholarship, and instead he finds an N-word joke, we're going to lose him.

I don't want to lose him. Building up SciForums as a place of science and scholarship is more important to me--and I think it's more important to SciForums--than trying to fight a very controversial battle over free speech.

Everyone has to choose his battles carefully. I don't think we have the resources to choose this battle.
    I don't think we have to. It's racism. We can waive the rules when we want to, because we're the Moderators and this isn't a democracy so we can do anything we damn well please. But we don't have to explain ourselves or apologize when we ENFORCE the rules.

20. Gustav Banned Banned

not the case
    community standards prevents that
    fuck the tos
    ostracization is feared by most

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Fraggle, you are kidding yourself, the section is a relic.
    If the student showed mom the jokes that Orleander posted, would mom be less shocked?

I can see the objection that the taboo is half the problem, but where do you draw the line?
    Richard Prior advanced the cause of Blacks by making fun of the taboo on the word nigger
    but he never insinuated that the black members of his audience were dirty, smelly or subhuman
    which seems to be the point of some of the "jokes" on sciforum.

This is old stuff that anyone with any sense should have ditched long ago.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  22. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

when it is a joke?! dunno some people should prolly lighten up....or not

the laid back people usualy do no harm.....its the totaly serious that start to mess things up

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

He would not be showing his mom one of those jokes if he wanted to impress her with this website's value as a homework aid. We just don't want profanity in screen names because they are too prominent.

I agree that N-word jokes are not prominent so they don't pose the same threat. On the other hand they are more offensive to more people than profanity. People who will rationally argue with you about the pros and cons of exposing children to profanity will ostracize a Euro-American for using the N word. Therefore it's a matter of risk analysis, a specialty with which I have professional experience. The probability of anyone seeing the N word in the text of a post is lower than seeing profanity in a screen name. But the impact or "damage" is much higher. Multiplying probability by impact (admittedly without quantitative measurements) results in a higher risk assessment.
    Yes. Unfortunately many people don't have that much sense. One of the things we want to do here is expose them to discussions that will help them become more sensible. If we drive them away with N-word jokes, we'll never have the chance to do that. Life is full of compromises.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.