Next Generation of Videogames Will Cause Massive Heart Attacks

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by CptBork, Oct 27, 2014.

1. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Any of you guys been following the release of a playable trailer for the upcoming title, "Silent Hills"? Looks more realistic to me than reality itself; have a look at this gorgeous in-game screenshot for example, taken at a demo resolution far lower than what the final release will contain (plus internet image compression):

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Holy @%$! That's not even a cutscene, you can watch people playing through it on Youtube. I'm not much of a gamer these days but I love horror fiction and this is about as close to "getting into the movie" as I've ever heard. Famed horror directory Guillermo Del Toro was tapped to write the plot in this one, it's looking to be an epic conclusion to the legendary decade-long series and obviously this sets an exciting new bar in the industry; lucky freaking kids these days with their PS4's and gaming PC's, I grew up on 8-pixel Mario.

Now in the old days, whenever you'd get freaked out by an obviously fake-looking monster jumping at your face, all you had to do was pause or look away from the screen and catch your breath. With virtual reality devices on the market like the Occulus Rift that give you every possible game sensation except smell, taste and touch, the only way out will be to rip that headset off and go crying to mommy. Virtual reality haunted houses that look and sound exactly as if you were really there yourself... I'll bet sooooo many people are going to have psychiatric episodes because of this stuff.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

No, I'll never have a psychotic episode Mommy!

That's pretty good there.

CptBork likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CptBork Valued Senior Member

If you ever want to know what Hell or Purgatory look like, this is probably the game for you. That screenshot doesn't even begin to do justice to the actual preview demo itself, which in turn is a deliberately doped-down taste of the finished product. And the ghosts, I can't even get started...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I'll have to check out one of those "___ plays Silent Hill" series on youtube. Sounds kind of sad, but at least I don't have to spend time actually playing the game.