News from Gaza Part 2

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by S.A.M., Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Here is a video of CIWS in action in Iraq, with the happy GI voices in the back ground:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d306b12449

I do not think it could be staged.

Here is an even better daylight one - you can see the mortar shells explode:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4a015fdb96

Do not miss the text posted above the second video. It reads:
    "For the unbelievers of the video I posted earlier of the system in action against an actual mortar attack in Balad, Iraq, here is the system being tested. Here is the video I posted of it in action in Iraq. Also called Land-Based Phalanx Weapons System or LPWS. "

Note the word "video" is susposed to be another link you can follow, in the video page, but it did not work for me.

You actually seeing it happen (CIWS in action against mortar shell in Iraq) - that should be sufficient "reference."

BTW I asked you for a link back in my post 1037, but you never gave one. Now that I have given evidence for the successful use of CIWS in Iraq against faster and harder to hit falling mortar shells (as I claimed) perhaps you will try to support your claim (first made in your post 1025)?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 1100f Banned Registered Senior Member

You see 4 targets hits in a scenario where you don't even know if the target is toward the CWIS or not, and this is the reference that the probability of detection is 99.99% no matter the direction of the target?
    WOW I am really impressed
    And it is a proof that there were no misses

http://www.rafael.co.il/marketing/SIP_STORAGE/FILES/6/946.pdf

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

From the Ha'aretz today:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1058460.html

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the link on "iron dome" threat interceptor system. I think it must be intended for more advanced (much more expensive) threat rockets than the cheap un-guided, high arc Quasam rockets typically fired from Gaza.

I am surprised that the iron dome design has the radar transmitter in the defensive missile. - That takes a lot more power and weight than just the radar receiver, and of course is destroyed by each use. As a ground based search radar is already part of the system, it would seem much cheaper per kill to have a cheaper, less massive, iron dome interceptor missile (faster accelerating also) with a bi-static radar system like the SM-2 missiles most navies use. I.e. a repeatedly used, ground-based, radar throws a beam on the targets and the defensive missile homes in on the reflection of that beam off the incoming threat.

For targets that CIWS can handle firing bullets, it is much cheaper and as the stream of bullets can continue until a kill is confirmed, the Pk is higher than most "one shot" (one interceptor missile / target) systems like iron dome. If Israel is going to make a new defensive system, perhaps a VT (Variable Time instead of fixed fuse time) shells is both cheap and deadly with proximity miss (instead of radar) fusing.

APL, where I worked, saved the US Pacific fleet in WWII (remaining after Pearl Harbor) from the Japanese Kama Kazi attacks by inventing the VT fused shell that was fired from ship's guns. Surely, 60+ years later they can be much better. (Each shell had a very rugged vacuum tube oscillator in it and tiny generator turned by a tiny prop on shell nose - no battery going dead in storage problem, but it was very hard to make a tube that could survive the acceleration of firing from a gun. With solid state oscillator that should be much easier and more sensitive now. The capacitive "pulling" of the oscillator frequency as the shell made a near miss of a metal target triggered the shell's HE.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
  8. disease Banned Banned

When are the Palestinians going to get access to modern weapons, so they can defend themselves against Israeli aggression? And target 'civilian' institutions, like the Knesset buildings, universities and hospitals? Also the barracks of soldiers, i.e. residences in former Palestinian towns like Ashdod and Sderot, which are now occupied by the Israeli enemy?

You realise, Israel uses these facilities to develop weapons. It uses its parliament to plot assassinations and war crimes.

9. 1100f Banned Registered Senior Member

I tried to do a search, I still couldn't find your references that predict a 99.99% probability of detection for the CIWS in any configuration

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

That was only my estimate* of CIWS shooting in the "fire until confirmed kill mode" against a target relatively slowing** falling from high altitude.
    -------------
    *Based on the high Pk against even super sonic sea skimmers, like the French Exocet, where as I recall the Pk is in the mid to high 90s percent. Against only one "leaker", of course and also considering the "target killed" if its warhead was exploded prior to your defended point / area, even if some pieces of the target do fall on the defended area. In some cases with the supersonic targets, some of their pieces do hit the ship that killed the target via CIWS, but the damage, if any is minor.(Break a radio antenna, wind gage, signaling lantern, etc.) Lets do some numbers:

If Exocet's Pk is 0.95 (a survival Ps = 0.05) then with 8 times more time** to kill the Quasam rocket, the Ps is:
    Quasam's Ps = (0.05)^8 which is very much lower than my estimated Ps = 0.000,01 (or Pk = 99.99%).

My $10 calculator will not do the eight power of 0.05 but the fourth power is 0.000,006,2 so even if their is only four times more time available my estimate of Pk =99.99% is still conservative!

**At the peak of its near parabolic, high-arc trajectory the Quasam is nearly stationary compared to an Exocet. - Lots of time to shoot at it while still high and far from the defended area.

Also note that the Pk during the second "analysis interval" (of 8 or 4 analysis intervals) is higher than in the first as the CIWS then has much better trajectory data, the target is closer and CIWS has already nearly converged the bullet stream onto the target, but in my calculation of the estimated Pk (or Ps) I have ignored these facts and assume each interval starts with poor initial mechanical aim at the target. (Not the aim being constantly improved by tracking the outgoing bullet stream as well as the target.)

If your concern is focused on detection that too is very easy compared to an Exocet. There is no background clutter, no false returns from a wave crest, no electronic counter measures - Not detecting a Quasam against the non reflective sky radar background would be like a man with 20/20 vision not being able to see his house when walking up the straight walk to it.

I also postulated that the firing rate was greatly reduced (especially if first generation CIWS now sitting in warehouses are used) as they did jam when firing at the max rate (> 3000 bullets per second). At the 100 bullets / second firing rate I suggested for CIWS against Quasams, even the first generation will never jam. (If your concern is jamming.)

I do not know if you agree now, but think my estimate of Pk = 99.99% is very well based. Do you agree?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
  11. 1100f Banned Registered Senior Member

I was not talking about Pk but about Pd

12. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

13. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Perhaps you replied while I was still editing and had not yet added:

"If your concern is focused on detection that too is very easy compared to an Exocet. There is no background clutter, no false returns from a wave crest*, no electronic counter measures. - Not detecting a Quasam against the non reflective sky radar background would be like a man with 20/20 vision not being able to see his house when walking up the straight walk to it.

I also postulated that the firing rate was greatly reduced (especially if first generation CIWS now sitting in warehouses are used) as they did jam when firing at the max rate (> 3000 bullets per second). At the 100 bullets / second firing rate I suggested for CIWS against Quasams, even the first generation will never jam. (If your concern is jamming.)
    ------------
    *(This footnote is not in the original post, but added now for clarity): The CIWS uses Doppler shift to separately see the target and the out going bullet stream. Thus, the direct reflection from a wave crest is not much problem, but the Doppler shifted higher frequency target return can reflect off a wave which is about midway between the target and the CIWS, and even be stronger than the direct target return in very unusual conditions when the wave surface (shallow dish) is curved to focus a large area of wave reflection onto the CIWS.

14. 1100f Banned Registered Senior Member

Are you claiming that the radar system of the CIWS has a pd of 100%?
    I know that if I had a radar with a 100% pd (for pfa = 0), I wouldn't sell it for cheap if I would sell it.
    WOW, I am impressed that there exist such a radar system.
    It has been 15 years that I am working in radar systems and this is the first time that I hear of a radar system like that.
    WOW
    WOW
    WOW
    And yes, as you said in a previous post, I admit my ignorance. I never knew that such a radar existed

15. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Pd of course is not a function of the radar alone. It strongly depends on the target - its RCS, which is a complex function of both frequency and aspect angle. When the Quasam aspect angle is near broadside (during the climb up and at peak altitude), it is very easy to detect. I do not have data on the RCS but I am sure it is much larger than an Exocet headed for the Ship's CIWS and again there are none of the background or sea bounce problems I mentioned, so:

Yes I will claim that the amount that Pd differs from unity (for Quasam in the "BROADSIDE" aspect against a sky background) is unmeasurably small.

If you work with radars you know that even single birds can be tracked at amazing distances, and they are not made of metal!

16. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I know its a little late but did anybody else notice how Israel's withdrawal coincided with Obama's Inaugratation

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not in Gaza, but relevant to the future security of Palestinians

Unbelievable, like an incurable disease that keeps on spreading.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ioi_0jtO9RjMwPNRoXNCndRPRq3gD95UUOL80

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Yes. The invasion of Gaza was well planned (Israel did not act quickly as when it invaded Lebanon. - That caused many to lose their jobs, and command positions as was a poorly planned, quick response. The Gaza invasion was months in the planning* and the timing was set mainly by the US and Israeli elections.)
    ------------
    *US even funded construction an urban village in Israel, complete with mosque towers, to help train for urban warfare prior to the invasion.

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

You mean the increasing numbers of Muslims who take the law into their own hands? Yeah, you're right ....it's like an incurable disease.

Baron Max

20. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Billy T, do you know what you are talking about????

CWIS, max rate of fire for block O and 1, is 3,000 rd, per minuet, not 3,000 per second, and even at 100 rd. per second as you have just stated the rate of fire would be--- 6,000 rd. a minuet, about twice what a block O and 1, CWIS is capabale of.

Gun and ammunition handling system

The Block O CIWS mounts (hydraulic driven) fired at a rate of 3,000 rounds per minute and they could only hold 989 rounds in the magazine drum. The Block 1 CIWS mounts (hydraulic) also fired at 3,000 rounds per minute with an extended magazine drum holding 1,550 rounds. The Block 1A and newer (pneumatic driven) CIWS mounts fire at a rate of 4,500 rounds per minute and also had the larger 1,550 round magazine. The velocity of the rounds once fired is approximately 3,600 feet per second (1,100 m/s). The rounds are armor-piercing tungsten penetrator rounds with discarding sabots

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  21. disease Banned Banned

Just drop a nuke, pal. Nukes solve everything.

22. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the correction. It was an accidental error saying "per second" instead of "per minute" probably caused by my also stating the velocity was about 1000m/ second which is correct. I think in earlier posts the rate was stated correctly. I do have mild dyslexia so hard for me to see these errors.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Bullets in the brain, shrapnel in the spine

Think anyone will bother to investigate? I doubt it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.