New York City Council Resolution Condeming the Patriot Act

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Fraggle Rocker, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Last week the NYC Council passed a resolution calling for the repeal of the Patriot Act and stating the city's offical objection to its provisions.

Many cities and counties and even a couple of states have already done this, but it was extremely significant for it to come from NYC: the city (along with Washington, although the Pentagon is really in Virginia) that was Ground Zero and has a right to be heard on the subject.

The gist of the resolution was that New Yorkers have an obvious right to be heeded on the subject. They believe it's wrong that their tragedy and grief should be exploited to bring Fascist security measures to America, that because of what they suffered, all Americans should suffer new laws that have nothing to do with increasing our security and everything to do with reducing our freedom closer to the level of, say, Iraq. (That's not a direct quote but I don't think they would disagree with my summary or its tone.)

No word yet on whether the Washington DC City Council plans to issue a similar proclamation. Considering how leftist they are (the motto on DC license plates is, "Taxation without Representation"), I wouldn't be surprised.

Bush's Bimbos in Congress and Cabinet immediately dismissed it as yet another piece of anti-administration propaganda from a well-known leftist stronghold, but plenty of other lawmakers are cheering. So are a lot of ordinary citizens who vote. Perhaps, after all, America really is strong enough to shake off Bushitis.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jps Valued Senior Member

Thats interesting. The fact that the city which actually was subject to the events of 9/11, and is likely to be a major target of any future terrorist attacks, continues to be a leftist stronghold(we've had a city council election since 9/11) seems to me like it should be a problem for Bush. Clearly, we don't feel he's making us safer.
    Second, given that New York is a leftist stronghold whose residents by and large reject Bush's policies, why is the RNC being held here? Should its choice to host this event be viewed as an act of hostility towards New Yorkers?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.