New Test of J.Nordberg's 'Field Reversing Sphere' Experiment

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Q-reeus, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Well he's claiming yes and no at the same time but apparently without seeing the contradiction. Inverting the entire arrangement is logically equivalent to leaving it in place and simply reversing current flow. In my world anyway.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hmmm.... here's a suggested clue. If you apply the right-hand screw rule to all those radial or partly radial acting currents - what direction of field do you find anywhere just outside the sphere surface?

It would be stupendously exciting if his experiment were valid, and I must admit he style of presentation is quite persuasive. Calm in manner, no crazed look in the eye or foaming at the mouth. I guess peace of mind will only come after the experimenting is done and dusted.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Your grammar sounds weird.

You were preparing to test if the field is identical? And just caught conducting the actual test?

What I meant was, his concepts of expansion and contraction are vague and fuzzy. So modifying the experimental setup won't prove him right or wrong; there's nothing to confirm in the first place.

We should just stick to the original idea, which he explained clearly.

Thanks for the heads up. Although I wouldn't mind if our setup turned into a sparkling, smoking display.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Well if you follow the vid time lines I gave, seems clear to me he's strongly arguing a 'symmetry principle'. But one making no sense.
    Or worse. Desperate for donations perhaps. Maybe just delusional. Hard to say.
    That 'avoid stranded wire' advise of his is absolute nonsense. He offers no justification - can you think of one?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Nordberg said he used to think about this by drawing lines on baseballs. But I've no idea how he managed to arrive at his final conclusion.

He's not raving mad, but he strikes me as a creepy fella.

What if we do it and when we get a positive result?

It will be really surreal if that actually happens.

8. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

He's an enigma.

No I can't. Let's not speculate and just experiment.

9. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Could be a vital clue - could it be he was struck - really hard on the head - by a baseball when young?
    Realize we all really are in a computer simulated world where the programmer can make anything happen!

That's him - I swear that's him - not long before release after a final round of electroshock therapy.

10. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Hahahaha

11. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

There isn't something going on that can be classically explained is there? Like the right-hand rule behaving as expected but appearing to change because the current flow is basically making a 90-degree turn at the base of the sphere..? Just wondering out loud.

12. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Even if the current makes an abrupt turn, according to existing theory it shouldn't predict anything weird. "Weird" as in a "John-Nordberg kind of weird".

That's why we're doing the experiment

13. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Eram, will you be personally conducting this as well?

14. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

I thought it would be fun to notify Mr. Nordberg of this thread. Just shot him a message but the email address was over 10 years old. We shall see...

15. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Yes I will. But it'll be a while before I have time to do it.

Will you conduct the experiment or will Q-reeus do it?

16. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

His videos are quite recent. I don't think he'll be very happy

17. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

I think it's great that you guys are going to be testing this. I once had a compass which was manufactured incorrectly so that is always pointed south instead of north. If one of the compasses in Mr. Nordberg's video were manufactured that way, would that explain the result of his experiment?

18. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Even so, both needles will rotate in the same direction when the circuit is switched on. You can't fool Nature.

But watch the video again (skip to 6:34)

[video=youtube;9YHOl7OyfsY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YHOl7OyfsY[/video]

The red bits are pointing in opposite directions, aren't they?

19. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

Yes, you are correct on both counts.

However, I am going to go out on a limb and predict that the "new test" will replicate the results obtained by Mr. Nordberg. My reasoning: The right hand rule only applies to a straight wire, which cannot complete the electrical circuit without turning. Thus, the right hand rule becomes a theoretical "monopole", whereas the "whole picture" of magnetism requires dipoles. The sphere is a dipole, just like a regular magnet, and therefore must have north and south poles. I am out on the limb here! Whee!

20. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Not me - I made my position clear on that back in the earlier thread. Actually - YOU committed to doing it, but I suggest, given the momentum now in place, let RJB do the copper ball thing, and consider yourself attempting the following:

Important update! Wasn't thinking straight when that alternate idea of solid cylinder was proposed in #11. Had been fixated on surface current flows, and that just won't apply for solid cylinder. Current will fan out throughout the volume, but not as dramatic as if a hollow cylinder with disc faces was used. Which involves more work to achieve. So I suggest to just stick to that copper ball arrangement - proviso RJBeery finds it conducts uniformly as per testing regime I covered in #89 in that earlier thread:

"One thought to make testing for axial uniformity of current flow: Torsional vibration without introducing wobble may not be easy. So instead one might try mounting the sphere between sharply pointed rods - just to do this initial QC check. And with an ammeter in the circuit to check current is uniform as the sphere's angular position is varied."
    Obviously there is a monitoring compass involved, mounted such that with zero current flow, needle points directly towards the sphere axis.

Here's the other arrangement you can think about, and it's quite cheap and easy to implement. Nordberg emphasizes radial current flow as 'the key' to his claim of field reversal. Here's a way to get that radial flow. Brass or copper shim sheet is readily available from various outlets. Cut out the largest circle one can make in such a sheet, and in the center, drill a hole just large enough to pass through either a length of bare copper wire, or a thin rod of brass. If you have basic soldering skills, solder the union between disc and wire/rod - on both sides of disc. Obviously with a right angle relationship in place. There may be some warpage in the disc following this but should be minor. One then connects far end of the wire/rod to one terminal of current supply. Using a minimum of say eight double-ended alligator-clip leads, connect one end of each of these at evenly spaced intervals around disc periphery. Other end of each lead then clamped to a bare wire or rod that in turn connects to other end of current supply. Not forgetting the caution of a series resistor(s) somewhere in the circuit.

Current will fan out initially quite uniformly from center wire but will have to diverge near periphery in order to flow through those leads. But out there current density and generated field is relatively weak, so one explores the inner region for this mysterious 'field reversal'. Alternately to alligator clips - one could just solder in place wire leads instead.

This is all madness, but Nordberg's 'theory' would have it that if the current flows radially outward from center wire to disc periphery, field reversal should apply somewhere between wire and disc periphery - and close in 'makes more sense'. Whereas, in keeping with sphere claim, for an inward current flow there should be no field reversal anywhere between central wire and disc periphery. I present this alternate experimental setup simply for sake of making it potentially easier to implement - you are guaranteed disappointment if trusting Nordberg. A warning given way back in #6 of that other thread.

A variation on above setup: Large sheet of aluminum, sufficiently thick to allow drilling and tapping in the center such that threaded brass or aluminum rod can be screwed in tight. With a large sheet no need for circular shape and just a few, maybe even just one peripheral connection would suffice in order to probe region near sheet-rod union for 'field reversal'. Good luck.

21. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

I'll try to do that. Meanwhile let's what RJ gets.

22. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Just to spice things up a bit, thought I'd throw in the following observation for all your cogitation:
    If Nordberg's 'field reversal' effect is at all possible, it immediately suggests a genuine, practical perpetual motion/free energy possibility. One just needs to place a permanent magnet (radially magnetized ideal) somewhere in the ' field cross-over region', and have it mounted on a freely rotating shaft. It would rotate under a continual steady torque, thus producing power. And, sans a further bizarre violation - of Maxwell-Faraday law in this case - there would be no concomitant back emf in the circuit. Whoopee - but please don't tell Mr Nordberg yet - he's still fixated on his fusion technology 'breakthrough' I believe.

:m:

23. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Ew. I hope you're mistaken on this point.