New Test of J.Nordberg's 'Field Reversing Sphere' Experiment

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Q-reeus, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Tach Banned Banned

If this is the case, then there is something terribly wrong with the setup (as in having a very, very low current going through due to the resistors that you inserted in series).

Yes, you don't want the compasses to be held in your hand.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Not if you have ignition off and use jumper leads I suppose. But you can lug that test rig close enough?
    Your choice.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tach Banned Banned

This is true for modern cars (after 1995) only. Older cars have no problem.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

OK I may have identified the problem. The ammeter is set to DC Volts but it's also connected in series. I either need to set it to DC mA or connect it in parallel. I just discovered that when set to DC Volts it acts as a "very large resistor". I've already learned enough from this endeavor to justify it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Tach Banned Banned

This kind of rookie mistakes always get you. You should leave everything as is and switch the dial to "mA" (current measurement).

9. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Good grief! I had assumed the reading was ~1.4A, but closer inspection and it read 14., which basically could only mean mA (but actually volts?!). I had assumed you knew there is a separate socket on multimeters used for high amps readings. And also assumed you followed advice in #188 and had resistors wired in parallel not series.

10. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

True, but best to err on the safe side and 'insure' oneself!

11. Tach Banned Banned

sure

12. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Just to make this real clear. Multimeter as ammeter needs to be connected in series, but using special socket for high amp measurement (I assume it has one). Resistors need to be wired to each other in parallel, and those ganged 3 resistors, then inserted in series as 'one composite resistor'. But given Neddy Bate'e experience, you might try doing the current pulsing thing with no resistors. Again, last option your choice.

13. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

No, I have the resistors wires in series; I work with EE's and this was the advice I was given. If you disagree, I would appreciate the argument so I can present it to them. They are three, 10W-7.5Ohm resistors, and my charger is 12V at 500mA. 12/.5 = 24, whereas 7.5*3 = 22.5 which I'm calling "close enough"

14. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Well RJB, if you know basic DC circuit theory, it should be obvious that connecting in series will cripple you to around half an amp tops. You know the ball park figure we want. Connect in parallel and one has around possibly 9 times that series figure. Less though using charger. With car battery as source this should be fine and one then can expect decent compass deflections. Again - your choice.

15. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

With OBDII, if you disconnect the negetive battery cable from the battery,wait around 30 seconds an then reconnect the cable, the PCM will be reset to like new, erasing all stored data. In that stored data is the readiness information for emissions inspection. That readiness data can take some mileage and normal warmup cycles in order to completely run all the self tests and record the readiness of each test result. In short, if you are planning to get an emissions test done on an OBDII car, do not reset the computer, as that will make your readiness status "not ready." The inspector will not be able to pass your car until all readiness tests have been completed and the status is reflected as such in the OBDII data.

16. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the advice, but I have newer cars and I live in Nebraska where we don't have such tests. I'm hoping that the DC mA setting on the ammeter will do the trick anyway...

17. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Do what trick?

18. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Will do the trick of upping the amps through the circuit above the its present value of essentially zero. I have the ammeter set on DC V in the pic and, because it's linked in series in the circuit, is basically blocking the current.

19. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Oh I see. Sure resistance will go from very high to low - but maybe for just an instant. Meaning, check your multi mA rating - and depending on resistor config as discussed earlier, you may blow a fuse if rating less than expected current. And viable compass deflection should need at least several amps. Honestly your best quick and dirty shot is probably to ditch resistors and multi for now, and just try current pulsing as Neddy did.

20. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Just checked for short circuit current in a fresh alkaline D-cell. Around 13A. Quite adequate. If resistance of circuit - just wire and ball - very likely comes to less than 0.1ohm, one or two D-cells in series should give sufficient current pulsing then. Without risk to car electronics or charger. One of those cuboid 6V torch batteries even better.
    One more tidbit. Some searching and found this on the net: http://www.directorycentral.com/business/mn/eden-prairie/nordberg-consulting-18042134.html
    Phone number at least - maybe not off the hook. Discretion needed.

21. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Perhaps I'll call him up asking for $100 reimbursement in a couple of days...

22. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Which I suggest will just add the cost of a phone call to your total expenses. But it would be interesting to find how many seconds into questioning his experimental protocol before phone hangs up. :bawl:

23. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

There is a sort of "dividing line" between where the compasses deflect clockwise, and where they deflect counter-clockwise. It is possible that Mr. Nordberg inadvertently placed his compasses on opposite sides of the dividing line, causing him to conclude a correlation between the hemisphere and the direction of deflection, without realizing the real cause. This is not likely, however, because further experimentation would prove that false. But it is possible, I suppose.