New Solar Paint Splits Hydrogen, Oxygen from Water Vapor

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by danshawen, Jun 25, 2017.

1. danshawen Valued Senior Member

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/06/170614091833.htm

Almost too good to be true. A new molybdenum sulphide based coating combined with titanium dioxide (common pigment in white paint) can catalyze the break down hydrogen and oxygen from water vapor in the air. The system is suitable for use in relatively dry climates located near oceans.

The hydrogen and oxygen produced may be collected and used as a clean energy source.

Walter L. Wagner likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. timojin Valued Senior Member

Go into chemistry forum and find this article is posted

danshawen likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. karenmansker HSIRI Banned

(humor , folks! -->) So . . . . there you go folks! . . . . . just solved the 'clean energy' and 'climate change' issues (i.e., 2 birds) with a single stone!
    But . . . . if used as a house paint, your house might explode! (<--humor, folks!)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. danshawen Valued Senior Member

I hadn't thought of that side effect!

What if we painted a dirigible with this stuff? Oh, the humanity!

Would it work on Mars to produce breathable air from snow? There has to be a lower limit on workable sunlight intensity too, right?

My dehumidifier could provide its own power and replace those solar cells on the roof as well. Works better than a real battery system for Solar City. Are you listening, Elon?