New software questions and complaints

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by skaught, Aug 28, 2012.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Some people are currently experiencing an error in which their posts get put into a moderation queue. There's a separate thread on this in Site Feedback.

We're not sure what the cause is yet.

We do NOT punish people by making their posts subject to moderation. The only official santions used on sciforums are warnings and bans. So, if your posts are being put into a moderation queue, that's a mistake, not a ploy by evil moderators to make life hard for you.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Emil Valued Senior Member

How can I delete a post?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

what is that with the blue band?
    it looks like a post but does not have a postcount
    there are more of the same on that page

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting. You will now be taken back to the forum. If you opted to post a poll, you will now be allowed to do so.

8. Gustav Banned Banned

the delete button has been disabled
    why?

9. Gustav Banned Banned

10. Gustav Banned Banned

11. Gustav Banned Banned

there are more of the same on page 28 of the eclectic thread

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the above is identical to the post awaiting mod approval except for the actual link to page 28

links within the sciforums domain gets one vetted
    clever shit that

12. Gustav Banned Banned

wtf
    frakking captcha is useless
    do a series of q&a's

it is what every other owner of this software is doing
    the devs need to get their goddamn fingers out of their asses and get cracking
    getting our unpaid mods to bear the brunt of this shit is unfair

Plazma Inferno!
    pseud0
    simanb
    zox

get to work!

disable registration until a workable solution is implemented

oh
    who the hell is simanb??

simanb has not made any friends yet

wanna be my friend?

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I get this message here in the Site Feedback subforum, but not elsewhere where I usually post.

EDIT:
    Weird. My post above is queued, but this one isn't.
    It seems it's because it contains links, while this one doesn't.

Further edit:
    Now my earlier post doesn't show in the line of posts at all, not even the message that it is queued.

15. Lakon Valued Senior Member

Funny thing, I've tried to post twice in the last couple of days in the Alternative Theories "Three Experiments Challenging SRT" thread. Both times I've received the 'moderators queue' message, though neither of the posts have yet showed up. Also, I haven't had the problem with any other posts on any other thread. Is the thread closed ? It doesn't appear to be. Is this a surreptitious way of closing it ?

Also, is the poster 'Masterov' banned ? He doesn't appear to be, yet I got a message from him saying he is banned.

So what exactly is going on ?

16. Neverfly Banned Banned

Happened first time to me last night, er... <cough> wee hours of the morning actually. It showed up within a few hours and the Mod deleted a duplicate post I'd made when I hit "Go Advanced" to try to work around that...
    I wonder if it's a vBulletin thing or a SciForums thing? I doubt there's a whole lot the Moderators can do about it. Aside from contacting vBulletin.

17. Lakon Valued Senior Member

Ummm, OK, thanks Neverfly.

I'm still hoping to get an answer from the person to whom I addressed my post, ie, James R.

I was interested to know whether the said thread is closed, and the said poster is banned. Here's a re-print of my earlier, addressed to James R

Funny thing, I've tried to post twice in the last couple of days in the Alternative Theories "Three Experiments Challenging SRT" thread. Both times I've received the 'moderators queue' message, though neither of the posts have yet showed up. Also, I haven't had the problem with any other posts on any other thread. Is the thread closed ? It doesn't appear to be. Is this a surreptitious way of closing it ?

Also, is the poster 'Masterov' banned ? He doesn't appear to be, yet I got a message from him saying he is banned.

So what exactly is going on ?

18. Neverfly Banned Banned

Yeah- good luck with that.

19. Lakon Valued Senior Member

Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean ?

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Notes on the disaster

The problem you're experiencing, Lakon, is a strange one, although unfortunately too common at the moment. For reasons not entirely clear to us, regular members are getting shoved into the moderation queue; see "Why do my posts have to be approved by a moderator?" for more information.

As to getting those posts into circulation, well, normally we go through the queue several times a day. I can't tell you what exactly has been going on for the last few days, but it's best to think of the staff in a hierarchy. There are five administrators; three are "company" (ownership) men; there is a fourth that I believe is with them, though I have not interacted with this individual who was added to the roster a couple months ago. Of those, Plazma Inferno is our usual liason to the company side. James R is the fifth administrator, and he is our day-to-day, on-site admin—a volunteer brought up from the membership once upon a misty long ago.

There are two supermoderators, myself and Stryder.

We have a roster of moderators who attend specific subfora. James, the supers, and the mods are all volunteers; we do what we can when we can.

The most effective in dealing with the spam issue—which is the underlying problem affecting your posts—are James and the Supers—which is almost a band name—because we have broader system permissions to deal with the various issues that arise. I know Plazma has a lot on his desk at any given time, even if we don't include the spam eruption that accompanied the site software update. We hear from him right now primarily when he has some kind of advice or instruction; whatever other projects he has going on at the office, the spam issue has him frustrated very nearly to trichotillomania. Quite literally, all of our spam guards collapsed with the software update; I had no idea how effective they were until they were gone.

Most of the volunteer staff are either employed or engaged in some sort of studies. I'm something of an exception in having more free time on my hands than is healthy.

Unfortunately, I was out of town for several days. Whatever else my colleagues got done—and it was considerable, to judge by the carnage—it looks like we suffered an excremental storm in recent days.

All of which comes together to explain what happened to your posts, and those of several other members as well.

The moderation queue tonight was incredible. It took me two hours to clear it.

And, yes, I found and approved the posts that shouldn't have been there. Well, I hope I got them all. I don't think I killed any, though, or else someone has been wrongly permabanned and their posting record damaged if not downright destroyed. And, well, that would be really embarrassing in addition to sucking guttermuck. (Thankfully, there's a cap on how many of one member's posts we can nuke in one shot.)

But, in truth, anyone looking for those posts would have had a hard time finding them. As a supermod, I can carry out massacres; the moderators are considerably more restricted in their capabilities. To wit, they kill spam in small numbers, such as if there are several posts in a single thread. My opening maneuver tonight destroyed over one hundred threads.

And no, the membership isn't supposed to see those posts; that's what we're using the queue for. (S&S had four pages of threads within the two-week display period; three of those pages were spam. The membership should only be seeing about a page right now, some thirty-four threads.)

But, yes. Over one hundred threads in one shot. Most days, that should be a thrill, because a bloodletting is faster and easier than picking the spammers off one at a time. But tonight it didn't even scratch the surface. Eighty-five threads in S&S, and a smattering spread out across the board. One shot.

Hell, if this was last Tuesday, I probably would have been done.

But then, with the spam threads killed, it was time to start destroying spam posts buried in other threads. I can't tell you how many there were. Multiple hundreds—I cannot be more specific because, frankly, everything melts together. I narrowly avoided destroying two of our members tonight. That would have been embarrassing. Although it probably is embarrassing that I cannot remember who they were. But, yeah. Click the wrong box, miss the name in the kill list, and that would be the kind of problem I cannot fix. (I do confess that in the early days of massacring spam, I did actually destroy a legitimate thread; I'm still quite embarrassed about that, although I managed to not accidentally ban the member who started it or seriously damage his posting history.)

And somewhere in that list of hundreds of spam posts, I found a handful from members that should not have been queued. You, Syne, Gustav, Wynn, and a couple of others.

I can say that after I found the first member post in the queue, I surveyed the list a couple of times before proceeding, but did not actually find your posts until I finally reached them in the kill process.

This is what we see when killing spam:

(And, yes, you read that badly-typed thread title correctly.)

Over three hundred. Probably less than five hundred. Your posts were lost in that list until we could clear away enough of the wreckage to actually see them.

And despite all that, we still haven't figured out why member posts are going into the queue.

My (and our) apologies. Had I not been so selfish—

—as to bail on you all in order to see Peter Gabriel in Vegas this weekend, maybe we would have found the lost posts sooner. All hands, such as it is. All hands.

As to Masterov, I do not believe he is actually suspended at this time. You can always check the Ban List for more information on who's taking a mandatory vacation, and their user title—e.g., "Registered Member", "Let us not launch the boat ...", &c.—will tell you if they're taking a trip courtesy of the staff. Our neighbor does not presently appear in the ban list; his user title is normal; I have no notes from my colleagues in our suspension log indicating any offense or action taken; he has no current infractions (I don't believe you can see that data).

I can't tell you why he thinks he was banned; he can pass that information on to me; or if you have it and it's okay with him, you can send it to me via private message. If there is an issue to resolve, we can figure it out, but I have literally no data telling me that he has been suspended or why.

And that, as best I can tell you, is what's going on. The staff is doing what they can, but it looks like spam has been squalling something foul the last few days. Your posts shouldn't have been queued, but once they were lost in that mess, they were lost until they were found.

21. Neverfly Banned Banned

Holy hell. You deserved the concert.

Keep On Rockin'

22. Neverfly Banned Banned

Frequency of posting at a specific time... It was around this same time I was in the queue yesterday. I might speculate, since none of the names addressed were posting mildly.
    Myself- my sleepless butt's been posting embarrassingly heavily... I blame wynn. And lightgigantic.
    And God- he's always a good fallguy, too.

23. Lakon Valued Senior Member

Hello Tiassa;

First and most importantly, I'm so gald you gave up the keyboard for a spell, to go to Vegas and see Peter Gabriel.

Second, thank you for your comprehensive and sincere post. Oh man ! The amount of spam is incredible. What a job you have on your hands.

I was initially impressed with Sciforums.com as it appeared (unlike others) to allow the free flow of information, even from renegades and cooks, providing it was in the right sub forum. I will continue to hold that view. Where would the world be without it's intellectual or pseudo intellectual apostates ? Pearl without swine would have no value (there's relativity again ..)

As to the 'Three Experiments .. " thread, my posts were unimportant, but thank you for finding them. I was more concerned, puzzled even, as to whether the thread was locked or not.

As to Masterov, he sent me a brief message saying he was banned. After initially thinking "what are you telling me for .. " I did go to the banned list you referred to, and saw that he wasn't on it. After all, how could he PM me (using the system) if banned. The explanation of him believing he was banned, might be the confusion he might have felt after noticing his posts were not getting through (similar to my confusion).

OK, assuming the said thread is running OK, I'll get on there shortly and post a brief message to him, and also ask him to read your above.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Best wishes

Lakon

Disclosure; I have no knowledge of, nor relationship with, nor prior dealing with, the poster Masterov. But O do like his persistence and the fact that he throws some real curly ones.