New software questions and complaints

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by skaught, Aug 28, 2012.

1. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Wheres my user Control panel?
    Where is the date on individual posts?

I hate this new look! It sucks! Please put things back how they were.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oystein Registered Senior Member

No date on the individual posts is really a BIG step backwards. Off with their heads!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The date is there, it's just colored white.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

No "quick reply"...

Wow...

8. Oystein Registered Senior Member

That's called a feature! I love new software features.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Quick reply

Quick Reply will be back. My understanding is that its absence is part of our maneuvers to foil spammers.

Certain protections previously in place failed after he update; we're rebuilding that wall, but some short-term inconveniences are part of the price. In truth, I had no idea how effective our former shields were. Hats off to Stryder and the admins for that, but, meanwhile, we've some difficulties to remedy.

Sorry 'bout that.

10. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Thanks Tiassa. I dont know what the other feedback is that you're getting, but I can't stand the new look. I'm in full support of foiling spammers, but this look and the loss of the user control panel... It's ugly!

11. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Oh and the colored white date. That's just... well... just stupid

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Click on "Settings" at the top right of the screen.

Next to the time.

You'll get used to it. I can barely remember how it used to look.

That will be fixed. We are well aware of the problem.

13. prometheus viva voce! Registered Senior Member

The default page at sciforums.com is now the "What's new?" page. Is this to be permanent? I hate it!

14. Balerion Banned Banned

I actually kind of like it. Saves time.

And look at the date stamp! It's visible!!!!

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Would you care to tell us why?

Just saying you hate it provides no reason for change.

16. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Yes it does. What it lacks is direction on what specific kind of change would be helpful. But the fact that users do not like something is, itself, the just about the only reason to change anything about a user interface.

Anyway, I hate it because I want to browse posts by which subforum they are in, not just see the newest posts in the entire forum. There are going to be lots of times when flurries of post activity in threads that I don't care about will dominate the new posts, and I'd rather not be forced to browse past them every time.

17. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

I also hate defaulting to "what's new". For one, I do not care to read any threads in many of the subfora, so those that would interest me are essentially drowned out on that page. Also, anyone landing here from a search engine may be turned off by the apparent lack of organization. If I landed on that page, and even when clicking the forum logo, I may have missed the index entirely and moved right on by.

I am setting my bookmark to the actual index so I do not have to deal with this again.

18. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I don't like the new default either.

The thing is, I don't read all of the forums. I basically ignore politics and some of the others, and I have no interest in seeing all the new posts that have been made in those places. I'd like to be able to focus in on the forums of interest to me.

Another possible problem is that Sciforums wouldn't let me log on from a different computer away from home this afternoon. When I typed in my username and password, it welcomed me by name, and then told me that it was returning me to the page I had been on. So far, that's normal. But when I got there, I got the not-logged-in screen and couldn't post, even though 'Yazata' was now listed as online down at the bottom of the page. So I tried logging in again and the same thing happend, along with warnings about how I was using up log-in attempts. So apparently if I have Sciforums cookies on my home machine, it isn't going to allow me to post from any other machines. Not a big deal, but it annoyed me.

19. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I want to turn off this new "what's new" default if I can. Is there a toggle for it in my user settings?

The reason I dislike it is because it defaults to a bunch of topics in subforums that I'm not interested in, and represents an annoying extra click to get to the subforum view.
    Now....... it would be different if each user could customize it. I imagine a dropdown menu containing a series of checkboxes where you could specify which subforums to use when aggregating the threads. As it stands, now I'm forced to look at the latest drivel from the Borg versus the Pokemon thread located in [insert subforum I avoid] or Proof that god did <whatever> in the [insert another subforum I avoid].

20. Balerion Banned Banned

I agree with Quad on this. We shouldn't have to make a case for why we don't like a certain feature. If we don't like it, that should be enough.

21. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Really. How do any of you log on? A bookmark? Then bookmark the forums' item.

22. Balerion Banned Banned

You know, I didn't think of that because that's how I already get here--by bookmark. I had the main forums as that bookmark, and it suddenly changed to "What's New," leading me to believe that there was an automatic redirect. No doubt this has happened to most. But now that I try to bookmark the main page again, I find that it works like it did before. Thanks for the tip.

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If you want the forums list to show as a first page from a bookmark, bookmark:

http://www.sciforums.com/forum.php

Otherwise to get there just click "Forum" in the grey bar underneath the Logo at the top of the page, since that points to the page too.