New Rule: Acceptable format for posted dialogue (suggestion)

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by domesticated om, Apr 7, 2008.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

PMS is a bitch.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL!!
    %^&@# I did it again. Its a sickness. I can't be held responsible for LOLing.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Be careful in your judgements. Your perspectives are being skewed by the appreciation for her return showed by those who know her. Don't fault her for the congratulatory responses to her posts. They'll fade away to normal after she's been around a bit and things settle back in to normalcy.

Just because someone looks down on Barbie doesn't mean they 'can't get over themselves'.
    Even our resident dummies look down on Barbie.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

What do you think the glory days were like?

8. sniffy Banned Banned

And when you're looking down you miss the shit flying above.

9. sniffy Banned Banned

warm and sunny and nice and sweet

and everyone had thicker skin and could handle a cunt or two

10. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

11. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Not really.
    As in the case of BarbieGirl (again, **not singling her out or anything**, just using her as an example), she's using a form of communication that's totally common within the realm of AOL chat/cellphone messaging. It's not a limited phenomenon, and there are bound to be more participants in the future who show up using it.
    Having the rule in place would be instructions describing what's considered ideal. I think it would be a much more appropriate message than tons of veteran users ridiculing the offenders. It would basically mean "an acceptable form of communication needs to be used to participate".

I'm sure there's a not-overbearing way to pull this off.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Does anyone miss Donnal?

13. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

I certainly wasn't suggesting 'tons of veteran users' ridiculing....
    I find I can't read barbie. Or don't. Or something in between those.
    I think, given the fact that others do, she is communicating effectively to those people. Or they are acting strangely and against their own interests.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  14. sniffy Banned Banned

Oh I missed those cunts. I was always asleep when the americans and canadians were in. They still induce the same response in me now.

15. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Puck up your arse, eh!

16. sniffy Banned Banned

It happens every time I bend over!

17. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

You personally do it the right way, but for a lot of others - ridicule is what *currently* happens whenever any new user enters the forum, and posts in minimalist/phonetic jargon. People don't tend to ignore them - rather they consciously take the time to rake them across the coals about it.

Assuming someone does make the rule, the reason I keep suggesting a "non-draconian" approach to it is because the same jargon is accepted in instances where it is not the primary vehicle for all communications (read: small doses). In times where someone is using it as a joke, or a few popular acronyms (examples: ROFL, LOL, BTW, FTW) don't seem particularly bad. There are also posters like Asgard who post with a few typos/misspellings here and there, but it doesn't detract from the "meat" of what he's trying to say.

18. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Why would you have to even ask that? Don't you MODS KNOW EVERYTHING?

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You have the hots for barbie.

Admit it.

All this trouble over lolspeek and leetspeek

20. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I like totally support this i c y it cud be a problem if ppl like talk like they r texting all the time

Like like like like

21. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Not that I'm defending her, but I've received this same schoolyard-style teasing whenever I've defended gay people (you're statement is supportive, Therefore you are gay).

Actually, I'm just tired of seeing newspeak, and tired of seeing people complain about it. Someone should chisel up a new commandment.

22. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

domesticated om

I like this idea about formatting very much.
    But, I'm afraid that would be a sort of censorship.

Acronyms and abbreviations are spicing up discussion sometimes, but I admit that I'm getting rash when I'm reading Runescape/IM chat all over.

*Panthenol mode*

However, rule about proper formatting could be applied in certain forums (science subforums, formal debate,etc.), but not in all forums definitely.

Otherwise, I would again gain epithet of

When idea about Knowledge Base was active, I've set up a few guidelines how KB article should look like (footnotes, citations,...).
    That could be easily applied to forums discussion as well or at least to certain threads marked as alpha, sci, etc.

I'm again interested in applying article idea, this time through the GARS, so this idea could be implemented there as well.

I would love to hear more suggestions how this would work, trying to avoid discrimination toward any member.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

:bugeye:Learn... something... here?!