New Rule: Acceptable format for posted dialogue (suggestion)

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by domesticated om, Apr 7, 2008.

1. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Since reading a few of Barbiegirl's posts, I have a suggestion for a new rule (footnote - this is not aimed at her specifically because n00bs occasionally stroll in from time to time doing the exact same thing)
    -- how about adding a new rule or set of rules defining the acceptable format for dialogue. Basically, it would be a list of boundaries that defines the desirable format for posts, and outlaws certain "non-standard" verbiages. I'm sure this kind of rule would be helpful in a place that wants to discuss science/math/etc.

PS: if you decide to do this, please don't outlaw the words "thingamobob" or "whatchamacallit"

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I fully support this. I also think we should install Net Nanny to block sexually explicit words and images, use forum filters to block out profanity and all permutations and combinations of member names which can be considered as profane.

Moreover, any sentence not passing basic spellcheck or grammar check should be scrambled into gibberish. And any post with the word lol should be automatically deleted.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

I think all posts are acceptable except posts like SAM's above. I will work on an algorithm to identify that kind of post so the mods don't have extra work.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

In principle I agree.

But in practice it would be too arbitrary (as evidenced by sowhat's post).

We can only pray that people like BarbieGirl eventually realize that this isn't the place for them.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think we should install software so that some posters will keep seeing a "404 error: Page Not found" every time they try to post. :bugeye:

This could be interspersed with other messages : Your computer cannot connect to this website. Please contact your administrator" etc. to avoid suspicion.

9. sniffy Banned Banned

And the truth is finally out there. Stuff anyone who might need or want to learn anything about science who finds themselves here!

10. draqon Banned Banned

I do not agree to this at all. All should speak how they can speak and we should do our best to understand them. Because people like Barbie are too young to use elaquent language to please our taste buds. We also have many international members here and not all of them can speak english well enough. If this "acceptable format" will be implemented it will breach the rules of member freedom to express themselves how they can. Cursing is another thing, but this is how members communicate with each other and each one does it differently.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Other posters should be redirected to sites about the biology of cunning hamsters.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. draqon Banned Banned

exactly! This is wrong!

Creating the so called "acceptable formats" means the circle of those who can indeed conversate using such format will become smaller and most likely not include newcomers thus halting our progress of the forum in implementing a successfull strategy for future discussion development.

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

New rule. Footnote. New rule or set of rules. List. Kind of rule etc.
    PS: if you decide to do this, please don't outlaw the words "tits" or "wank"

I have put your post through my own filter, rentable to sf for only $1000,000 a week. I think it improves it greatly. It rejects most words, but unfortunately sometimes adds swear words where they weren't originally.
    I am still working on it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  14. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

I think we should put in a filter that adds 'this post is intended to be ironic' for members who seem, according to the filters subtle algorithms, only to be able to take things on one, flat, literal level.

By the way, I am pleased to announce that this, your second post in the thread, made it past my filter.

I call my filter Ganesh, I might add.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, Asguard is in a world of hurt then. Oh crap! I LOLd. :wallbang:

16. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

shit, my filter is not allowing me to read my own posts. Will someone quote them so I can read them.

Thank you.

17. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

If you don't like Barbie, ban her and be done with it. Though, her posts don't bother me like the crap that comes from gendanken, who is "oh, so smart" but can't get beyond herself.

18. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I don't think it's too arbitrary.
    As can be noted in the number of members that dislike "cell phone newspeak", there seems to be a consensus as to how far language can be truncated/compressed before it becomes extremely annoying. There's also the occasional user that posts using excessive cutesy "LOLcat" styled jargon, or leetspeak -- at least I see that elsewhere.
    Having some sort of official rule in place would at least help keep the discussions from going all the way down that drain.

I don't think it should be totally draconian however (that may have been SAM's point via sarcasm).

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Some posts should come with a qualifier:

"This post is too sanctimonious and prissy to be read before a healthy dose of caffeine or alternately a healthy sense of the ridiculous"

People should be given a choice not to wade through pompous crap.

Hmm did I miss something?

20. draqon Banned Banned

And who will define what is "sanctimonious" and "prissy" and "crap" ? :bugeye:

Under who's accord? Who'se point of view will we have to bend under?

21. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

I think the warning label idea is perfect but we must take a constructivist approach.

Warning: atheists may find the contents of this post excessively stimulating
    Warning: careful spellers and other pedants may find this post irritating
    Warning: Christians may find actual sinful acts, albeit in verbal form, in this post.

and so on.

22. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

I think that was the point. (sorry, SAM. Sometimes I am so banal)

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats a new filter. I wonder what it filters.

/clicks

Arrrgggghhhhhh!

/tears out some more hair:wallbang: