New moderators for Free Thoughts and Art & Culture

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by James R, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Seriously? I would be totally different once I got the position. I'd be all serious and stuff.. honest!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Why?

The idea of becoming a moderator is not to change your personality and become "all serious and stuff". You would only be required to moderate fairly and without prejudice. Not favouring one over the other and not favouring one topic or side over another. You can disagree with whatever is being said, you just can't take sides when you moderate. In short, you need to use your judgement on when someone has breached the rules of this site, regardless of what is being discussed. And sometimes people won't think it's fair or will assume you are siding with one side against the other.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I can't believe its called moderating. It should be called babysitting.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I was kidding

But seriously, I would avoid getting in long hot discussions from which no good can come anyway.
    Also, I'd need to stick to the rules more myself.
    I could pull it off, I think I'd be a good mod, but I don't think I want to be in that position.
    I would seriously think it over if I am asked for the position, but I'm not nominating myself.
    Thanks though

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Oh hell, why not.. I nominate myself (for Free Thoughts).

9. Bells Staff Member

To update earlier post. Current members who have nominated themselves:

Enmos (FT)
    Dywyddyr (FT)
    GeoffP (FT)
    pjdude1919
    Cheskichips (FT)
    cluelusshusbund (FT)
    draqon
    leopold99 (FT)
    EntropyAlwaysWins (FT)

Let me give everyone else some advice. What we want from the members is not why you think whatever individual is an idiot, etc. What we want are thoughts as to why you think those nominated would not good moderators of the Free Thoughts forum and vice versa.

* Do you think they would be able to moderate fairly?
    * Do you think they would be able to moderate fairly and leave aside their own personal opinion about the topic and the people they are moderating?

Just because you don't like them because they hold the opposing view to you whether it be for political or religious reasons is really beside the point. Whether you like them personally is beside the point. This is not a popularity contest.

Those who have nominated themselves also need to state why they would be a good moderator. You need to state your case.

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Since Enmos seems to spend a lot of time around here, I think he would be good for the job. He also seems pretty fair to me.

The only downfall I see is Enmos is pretty much likable by everyone and he tries to get along with everyone from what I have seen. I think that he might not like how that may change if he becomes a moderator. He might not be " Mr Popular" anymore.

I think Geoff would do a good job as well, even though I don't know him as well as Enmos. Those would be my 2 picks.

11. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Been thar...

Done that...

I even printed my own T-Shirt.!!!

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Actually this is all humbug. You can take any side as biasedly as you like, as long as the admin agrees with it. You just cannot [ABSOLUTELY CANNOT] take sides they consider offensive [even if later, UNHRC reports come out saying the same thing] NOT EVEN in forums you DON'T moderate. This point is very important.

Basically, just kiss ass and you'll be fine. Otherwise you'll be seen as a rabble rouser and a troublemaker [not to mention a racist, bigot, hater, antisemite, <add all the adjectives that are synonymous here>] If you sync with the admin, you can even be biased in your moderation [see Skinwalker] and no one will give a rats ass. If you're an atheist, you're already off to a good start

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  13. Bells Staff Member

I lol'ed. Quite literally. Thank you!

Prime example of what I was talking about Enmos.

Thank you Sam.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're welcome, I think its fair to warn people what is expected of them, so they don't get taken in by gushing [false] sentiments of support.

15. Gustav Banned Banned

while you were talking about member vs mod to enmos, sam was talking about admin/mod vs mod

so don't thank her

/cackle

16. Bells Staff Member

It is unfortunate I was not here when you were de-modded. Then again, I would have been accused as such as well. So it really is a moot point at the end of the day. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Now this thread is about members who wish to nominate themselves. If you have a problem with me Sam, you can either PM me or start another thread.

17. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I would be a good mod because having rules enforced fairly is part of who I am. at an early age I had it drilled into me that the same rules should apply to everyone. I want everyone who post in a sub-forum under my eye to feel as if I will listen to their complaints,concerns, and worries.

18. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

Enmos, I thought you were a mod.
    That's why I emphasized all those good qualities you had.

And yesterday, I thought spidergoat was a mod. But I am sure somebody said she was a mod.

Where is the mod list?

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Thanks Shorty.
    I'm not trying to get along with everybody, I just get along with most people. I don't care for being "Mr Popular", besides I don't think I'm that popular to begin with :shrug:
    I'm sure you've seen me not getting along with certain people as well.

Haha.. yea right!

Spider is a mod and he's a he

Here you go: http://www.sciforums.com/showgroups.php

20. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

I see that there are barely any candidates for the Art & culture forum. I was wondering why nobody is interested in Art & culture...could it be that everybody fears that their lack of knowledge concerning these subjects would be a hindrance in being a good moderator for said section? Of course that's understandable, but I doubt that this would be that big of a problem, actually. I guess a lot of users are a little afraid of what to expect of the Art & Culture section, and therefore don't dare to nominate themselves for the offered position. Maybe it would help if a few mods would tell the users what kind of issues they've had to handle there.

So let me pose a few questions to the mods: What issues have you encountered in the Art & Culture section? Did the moderation of said section ever require more than basic knowledge about said section's topics?

21. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

I think the moderator should find popular keywords, phrases, and questions on google

2. catalog them
    3. Create answer threads with quality posts (work dictated to posters)
    4. Pay the Mod, and contributing posters the increased Ad Revenue for a few months.

After that the money goes back to admin or whoever.

if that's what you're looking for I'll mod

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

FYI,

http://www.sciforums.com/showgroups.php
    Lists the Current Moderators

Spidergoat was a moderator, he originally stepped down for a myriad of reason, just like Absane. Neither were forced from their position, they just didn't either have the time to commit to the position or had a rethink about the world and everything in it and just choose something different.

*fetus, Gendanken were poorly chosen moderators and were eventually ousted.

SAM, Avatar and Asguard all had their qualities to begin with but perhaps were upset at how the forums was handled etc, so they became too much for their positions.

(Q) quit originally because SAM was being protected by Moderators from being moderated herself because of her Extremist views.

There was a moderator (who shall remain un-named) some years back that tried to instigate a "Board war" where they made socks on more than one forum and tried to make out that users from one were attacking another.

As you can tell we've seen our share of those that moderate well and those that do not. The person(s) that get the chance to moderate will likely be under close scrutiny to begin with, so should they turn out to be a Fetus in sheeps clothing, they can be dispatched of painlessly.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  23. draqon Banned Banned

Umm I am not a fetus in sheeps clothing. I am an angel. Glad to be of assistance =) And Stryder, that tie goes well with your shirt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.