New Jersey bans gay conversion therapy for minors

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Magical Realist, Aug 19, 2013.

1. arauca Banned Banned

But allowing them to pervert future young generation , that is bad.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You can't turn people gay. They are born that way.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

We survived letting interracial couples pervert future young generations. We'll survive this.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Here are a few with the questions and replies (from Gallup)

How serious a problem do you think discrimination against gays and lesbians is in this country? Result - Very serious/somewhat serious 63%
    Do you personally believe gay or lesbian relationships are morally acceptable or morally wrong? Result - Morally acceptable 56%
    Do you think gay or lesbian relationships between consenting adults should or should not be legal? Result - Should be legal 64%

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lol @ Fraggle...I see what u did there.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think this is great news.
    I honestly had no idea that licensed therapists were abusing their licenses in such a way.
    Brielle Goldani's story sounds absolutely horrifying.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The "conversion" efforts, as defined by the law, are the formal and self-described "therapy" programs.

You appear to have mistaken who "they" is.

You might want to be careful how much authority you allow your government or other therapy agencies, in combating perversion - there are some risks there, for you, in this society.

No idea? I'm going to file that under the cognitive burden of religion, if you don't mind. I don't think many non-religious people are oblivious to this religion-based aspect of the common "therapy" institutional structures in the US.

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

File it where you like lol ...
    My unawareness as to the fact that licensed therapists are abusing their patients, is nothing more than unawareness.
    If you are up on everything, I envy you. I'm sometimes not.
    It's funny how you phrase your reply the way you did because when I socialized in very conservative Catholic groups, they were up on a variety of social justice and political issues.

You might be surprised.

11. arauca Banned Banned

I grant you if Gallup did his polling in San Francisco he would get such results . I doubt if he would make his polling in the Midwest or in the South th results might be different

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Yes, of course. But that level of unawareness of what their religion is up to is characteristic of believers pretty much, other people not so much.

These gay conversion programs have been common and essentially unavoidable mainstream political issues, on the news and in the papers, for twenty years or more now. There have been several very high profile scandals, quite a few stand up comedy routines, side commentary about everything from W's minister and his pals to Michelle Bachmann's husband to the latest Catholic Church infelicity to aspects of some of the mass murders and bullying discussions.

To get numbers as low as that the poll would have had to have been national.

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Pardon my confusion, I'm not 100% sure what you mean? Seems like you're connecting the dots that if one is ''religious'' then they are ignorant of mainstream news such as this? Tell me you're not saying thaaaat... lol

Typically, the extreme right wing groups and christian fundamentalists are at the helm of anything having to do with anti-gay campaigns. I fit into neither of those slots. It could just be that I ...believe in God, mind my own business in life, live and let live...and don't watch the news with any regularity. lol

I honestly think it's a leap (an inaccurate one) to say that ''religious'' (and by that, i'm not sure if you mean all believers in God, or people who are fundamentalists, or something else entirely?) people have their heads buried in the sand on these issues. Again, many of the more radical evangelical christians and right wingers are the actual activitists behind the bigotry. Sadly. So, they're not ignorant of it...they're the catalysts behind it.

Which causes me some confusion with your premise. Maybe you could explain, please.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  14. arauca Banned Banned

Babe, don't worry on what they think . Think who is trying to change the society ( atheist ) with their liberal view , they are the organizers for change , they( Atheists) don't think much about consequences, The atheist are no different in their action from the action of fundamentalists

15. Bells Staff Member

It is safe to say that you are a "sore thumb" to about 99% gay and straight members of this forum's population because you are a simpleton and dumb.

Because the stupidity you exhibit here is offensive. You do not live in some backward hovel where you do not have access to education.

The fact that you deliberately do not get an education and instead prefer to show your stupidity and ignorance and use it as some perverse badge of honour is offensive. Had you lived in some backward village in the middle of nowhere and had no access to education, then your stupidity would be forgiven. But you live in the US and you deliberately refuse to get an education, which to the greater majority here, is unforgivable.

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

...deleted comment...

doesn't matter... :/

17. arauca Banned Banned

I can see how educated you are . Insults are coming from both of your opening , In five lines that you have written no thing constructive come out.

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

No, it was done across the USA.

BTW Gallup is a national organization, not a person.

Yes. I am sure if you did it in the backwoods of Mississippi you'd get a different result. (Of course there are probably a lot of people in those places who don't think relationships between blacks and whites, or Jews and 'normal' people, or immigrants and 'real Americans' are moral either.)

19. arauca Banned Banned

I Think your last line was not called for.
    Why is the homosexual society is selling that homosexuality is beneficial or good for the society as a whole ? The only think I can see that homosexuals feel guilty of their act and want to convince the general population that is proper to have sex in an natural way

20. billvon Valued Senior Member

Why? All those groups (immigrants, blacks, Jews, homosexuals) have been discriminated against at one time or another because they weren't "good people." Their presence weren't good for society, and needed to be restricted/outlawed/kept separate - for the good of everyone, of course.

They're not. They are just asking for the same rights everyone else has.

Why are you so dead set against gays? What feelings do you have that you feel guilty about?

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The opposite - I've noticed that people who are unaware of the commonly and widely reported doings of a major religious faction, its members. or its leadership, in their society, tend to be adherents of that religion.

It's a blindness or obliviousness associated with religious allegiance, and it sure looks like there is a mechanism in there somewhere.

There is no such thing as "the homosexual society". There are homosexual people, and they live in your society - might even be your kids.

22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

@ iceaura;

Edit: as I reread and see what you’re saying, now. Lol
    Well, your comment I’m assuming was directed at me as to my ‘unawareness’ of this news story. (and it must be related to my belief in God?)
    But, largely, fundamentalists and right wingers are usually at the helm of such ‘initiatives.’ I’m not part of either group.
    So, you’re lumping all Christians into the same bucket…which is fine. But, that is flawed thinking.

I can only speak for myself, but I look at people as individuals, on their own merit. I avoid stereotyping, because I wouldn't want it done to me.
    Just my thoughts to it all, FWIW.

23. arauca Banned Banned

I don't have any bad feeling against them if they stay in the closet , don't put pressure to change morality . ( for any action there is a reaction )