New Evidence that Cellphone RF Emissions Can Cause Cancer

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Yazata, May 27, 2016.

1. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Here's a preprint in pdf format:

http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2016/05/26/055699.full.pdf

It comes from the US 'National Toxicology Program', part of the NIH (National Institutes of Health).

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/

They exposed male rats (like me!) to low level RF modulated in two common call-phone formats, at two frequencies that cell-phones typically use. They apparently got help from the National Institutes of Standards and Technology in calibrating intensity levels and stuff.

Their results show a "low incidence" of brain and heart cancers. Despite the low incidence, they say that given the widespread use of cell phones all around the world, this could have major health implications.

I've always considered claims that cell phone emissions can cause cancer to be what Sciforums calls "woo", but this new paper makes me less sure of that.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Well this is one study so we will have to see if the results are reproducible.

Studies on rats are interesting but they are often not applicable to humans.

So to be safe, if you have a rat as a pet it should not be allowed to use a cell phone.

ajanta likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

And extend life:

"At the end of the 2-year study, survival was lower in the control group of males than in all groups of male rats exposed to GSM-modulated RFR. Survival was also slightly lower in control
    females than in females exposed to 1.5 or 6 W/kg GSM-modulated RFR."

So if you want to live longer - get on that phone! Or more accurately, if you want your pet rats to live longer, get them on the phone.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I think it is still "woo." Your link tells exposure began before birth and continued while nursing. Some of the power levels use were significantly greater than cell phone* and used for a full two years. Each day, 7 days per week, had 50% duty cycle for 18 hours. I.e. 9 hours of radiation applied each day. And of coures the whole body was exposed and heated.

Link also states:
    "At the end of the 2-year study, survival was lower in the control group of males than in all 2 groups of male rats exposed to GSM-modulated RFR. Survival was also slightly lower in control 3 females than in females exposed to 1.5 or 6 W/kg GSM-modulated RFR. In rats exposed to 4 CDMA-modulated RFR, survival was higher in all groups of exposed males and in the 6 W/kg 5 females compared to controls."

I. e. the irradiated rats lived longer!

* Only 0.6W in urban areas (not too far from cell phone tower.)

The fact that in humans there is no correlation with location of brain tumors and which side of head got much stronger RF field is powerful support for the widely accepted scientific view: Cell phones do not cause cancer.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    ajanta likes this.