need a science major:a glass on the table exploded tonight????

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by nannanano, Nov 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nannanano Registered Member

Is there anyone logged on whos an expert at physics or frequency stuff?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Maybe you could tell us a little more?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nannanano Registered Member

ok here goes

This has absolutely nothing to do with heat and cold meeting.
    Tonight, a glass of lukewarm milk the kids left on the table exploded. No one was in the kitchen, it was not the kids. I have picture of it up at
    www://opalbeads.com/pics/bizarre.JPG
    All the glass is crazed beyond belief, it looks like ice. There is nothing to explain it that I can figure except possibly sound frequency manipulation. Searching for that on the internet led me here I found nothing. I recall reading something about weapons being developed (and also available to idiots to build from web plans) using low frequency similar to earthquake style, to cause damage both in people's health, and such as this. Does any one have a clue about frequency Im talking about, or an alternative of how on earth a glass can shatter (explode!) for no reason? It was relatively new, about a year old and not cracked.
    Thanks

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nannanano Registered Member

8. nannanano Registered Member

more

It exploded into well over 100 pieces, with a very loud glass shattering sound, similar to if youve ever put corningware on a burner by mistake, minus the heat.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Im new to this site and dont know how to use a chat function.

9. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I doubt that it was sound. You probably would have been able to hear the resonate frequency of the glass, and it would have to have been very loud to shatter the cup. My guess is that something flew into it. Not that I really have any idea what the circumstances were.

10. nannanano Registered Member

hi

I was sitting at my computer, which is outside the doorway of the kitchen. No one was in the kitchen. My two youngsters were watching TV in their room behind me. When it crashed that sound, I saw both of them in their room, there is no explanation I can find.

11. nannanano Registered Member

more

As you can imagine, my brain will not settle down until I can explain how the glass exploded with lukewarm milk I meant to discard last time I passed it. Any clues at all?

12. nannanano Registered Member

more

The entire bottom of this thick glass, looks like ice. I thought at first when I saw it, it was ice, but we dont make ice in my house. It looks exactly like ice, all whitish, crazing throughout, even crazed on one thin side piece, Im talking 100+ pieces, please look at the photo I took to show my family this evening.

13. nannanano Registered Member

and more

the thick part of the bottom of the glass, looks similar to when a windshield breaks in an accident, in tiny squares. It looks like rocksalt and falls apart when you pick it up.

14. nannanano Registered Member

Nasor

Dear Nasor,
    Do you know and would you tell me, the name of the science Im talking about with frequency usage? Something like Frequency Manipulation, Modification, Modulation (but I know thats just FM) if you would be so kind, so I can do some researching on the net.
    Thanks

15. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Your cup was evidentially made of safety glass. It has a very thin laminate coating on its surface that holds the small glass pieces together when the glass breaks. It's a safety feature that keeps bits of glass from going everywhere. Well, it keeps even more bits of glass from going everywhere. It doesn't work perfectly. They use the same treatment on many windows and all car windshields. That's what causes the icy, cob-web type pattern.

No idea why it broke, though.

16. nannanano Registered Member

thanks Nasor

I wasnt aware normal drinking glasses are made of safety glass. I dont see any coating on it but I will munch on that idea tonight. Thanks Nasor

17. Nasor Valued Senior Member

If you want to know about breaking things with sound I would search for 'resonate frequencies' on a search engine.

I doubt that any sort of sound-related phenomena caused your glass to break. I wouldn't worry about vandals with sonic vibrators.

18. Nasor Valued Senior Member

If you're really curious, break another of the same kind of glass. You should get the same pattern.

19. nannanano Registered Member

Nasor

Thanks again Nasor, I will look that up.
    I live near an army base where the fastmovers leave from, they are always doing somekind of underground explosion tests, however none tonight. If this happened to you, sitting 3 feet from the doorway, youd be quite interested as I am. My IQ is 180 tho I didnt go to college, but I know something is kind of strange here and I am not the kind to dismiss anything like this and go sleep well.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Totally bizarre. Have a good night.

20. nannanano Registered Member

comment

Scientifically speaking, thats a good idea. However, with a 6 year old, we have already broken these type glasses, and they break in a few pieces, nothing like this. Its totally perplexxing.
    Theres got to be some explanation, maybe someone will see this post and I will check it all week in that hope. Thanks

21. nannanano Registered Member

alt reason?

Someone in my family suggested that the heat of the dishwasher may have "tempered" the glass, and that tempered glass might break in that fashion. Why it would decide to explode like it did for no apparent aggravative reason is what Im wondering.

22. nannanano Registered Member

for anyone whos interested

Well, I found a snippet with other terminology and will use that to research further. Thanks
    //Another promising technology is high-powered acoustic generators that are used to produce infrasound (below 20 hertz and inaudible). This low-frequency, high-decibel sound is emitted in bands that resonate in certain body cavities, causing the disturbance of body organs, visual blurring, and nausea. These effects, becoming more severe as the decibel level increases, range from temporary discomfort that disappears after a few minutes to permanent damage or lethality. Additional antimaterial effects include the embrittlement or fatigue of metals, thermal damage, and the delamination of composites.5//
    http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/apj/apj94/dil.html

23. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

Most likely internal stresses in the glass. This apparently happens quite often. I have seem similar threads on this subject on other science fora.

http://www.cmog.org/page.cfm?page=281

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.