Navy SEAL Workout

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Absane, Jun 26, 2006.

1. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Aware this isn't directed at me (I can do anything I want--what are you gonna do about it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)... right now it's about 13, but I weigh like 190 lbs. Except I do chin-ups.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

no doubt you have. and if the instrument happened to be analog there will also be a 'parallax' error. i am of course talking about meters

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I am back down to 2. I was getting good at doing pull-ups at my previous weight of 179-180.. but I hit a plataue very quickly. Then, I put on a bit of muscle and started taking creatine. I blew up in 3 weeks by gaining 10 pounds because of the creatine (as some of you know, creatine pushes a lot of water into the muscles).

What's odd is I have no idea why my pull-ups/chin-ups stall very quickly.. but not my dips. I was able to go from zero dips to 10 in almost little time.. then I gained the weight I am almost back up to 10 dips in a single set.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I am not paying much attention to my fat anymore. I figure I am gaining a steady 1.5 pounds or so a week. How much fat? I hope it's not too much.. because my lifts are going up at a good rate.

8. KevinR5783 Registered Member

Had to bump this, so Navy SEALS are wimps huh??

Id like to see survive 1st phase and HELL WEEK, where you have a total of 4 hours of sleep for ALMOST SIX DAYS, one hour food break betweeen every 6 hours, where they work your ass off and leave you in the ocean between exercises at 60 degrees for a max of 15 mins at a time.

WIMPS?

The workout that was posted was for NON ATHELETES, this is the shape you should be in when ur in the SEALS.

6/6/6/6/6 miles/five days 30 miles

For weeks 8, 9 and beyond, it is not necessary to increase the distance of the runs; work on the speed of
    your six-mile runs and try to get them down to 7:30 per mile or lower. If you wish to increase the distance
    of your runs, do it gradually – no more than one mile per day increase for every day beyond week 9.

20x20 push ups
    20x25 sit ups
    5x12 pull ups
    20x15 dips

Swim continuously for 75 minutes
    with fins
    Swim continuously for 35 minutes
    To reduce initial stress on your foot muscles when starting with fins, alternate swimming 1000 meters
    with fins and 1000 meters without them. Your goal should be to swim 50 meters in one minute or less.

All this with getting 3-4 hours of sleep, doing eveloutions and classroom, you have no fucking idea what your talking about

9. Roman Banned Banned

Yeah, but do they look as good as me when I do it?

10. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

This is mostly for Roman.. since he'd probably care more than others.

These were my stats 7 October 2006

Weight: 191 lbs.
    Waist: 35.5"
    Thighs: 24.5"
    Calves: 16"
    Chest: 37.5"
    Forearms:11.5"
    Arms: 13"

These were all taken from my right side (relevent to all except weight, waist, and chest) and they were in my FLEXED state.

The next stats were taken 18 November 2006 and include both states.

-------------------------
    FLEXED state.

Waist: 34.75

Thigh (left): 25.75
    Thigh (right): 25.75

Calf (left): 15.75
    Calf (right): 16.375

Chest: 41.25

Forearm (left): 11.5
    Forearm (right): 12

Biceps (left): 13.5
    Biceps (right): 13.5

--------------------------

Unflexed state

Waist: 36.75

Thigh (left): 25.25
    Thigh (right): 25.25

Calf (left): 15.875
    Calf (right): 16.25

Chest: 40

Forearm (left): 11
    Forearm (right): 11.75

Biceps (left): 12.375
    Biceps (right): 12.25

I weighed 189 when these new stats were taken. Notice I weight nearly the same but I am slightly bigger with a smaller waist. I hit a peak a few weeks back of 199 pounds. I was juiced up on creatine and eating a tone of food.

It's interesting to note that from all the squating I have done, my legs have grown an inch. Also, my waist size has gone down a bit which means I lost some fat. My arms are small.. yes. But I improved, yes?

Here are my lifting stats.

20 Sept. 2006
    Squat: 95x3x5
    Bench Press: 110x3x5
    Deadlift: 125x1x5

22 September 2006
    Squat: 105x3x5
    Bent over Barbell Rows: 95x3x5
    Standing Military Press: 65x3x5

--------------------

18 Novemeber 2006
    Squat: 145x3x5
    Bench Press: 130x3x5
    Deadlift: 155x3x5

20 Novemeber 2006
    Squat: 150x3x5
    Bentover Barbell Rows: 130x3x5
    Standing Military Press: 80x3x5

Except for the bench press, this is not the best I have done. My best was back during the week of 13 Novemeber 2006 before I took nearly 2 weeks off so I could rest and focus on rebuilding my motivation. After the two weeks I spent more time doing cardio than actually working out. I just got back into it in full last week.

13 October 2006
    Squat: 157x3x5
    Deadlift: 177x3x5

On the 11th of October, I had hit 80x3x5 on the standing military press.. that is when I took my break and I Had to fall back to 75 pounds or so when I started back up last week,

11. Roman Banned Banned

I've never measured the circumference of any of my limbs. Seems a little vain. But at least you'll have concrete evidence of any gains.

Ah shit, no I've gotta measure myself.
    (How long is your dick?)

I injured myself, so I've been doing nothing but eating and sleeping for a month & a half. I've lost 4 lbs. I hope I never lose the metabolism of a teenage boy.

What are your max for the lifts?

12. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well I think measuring is quite silly. I see it's use for bodybuilding competition because they got to be symetrical and such. I am not into that kind of stuff. I take them to make sure I am making progress... nothing else. I have no "before and after" pictures... And if I did, the 5 week difference would not be all that noticable except in my legs and chest. Everything else looks about the same (unless you were to look very very hard.. but I'd rather no one stare at my pussy body).

13 e-inches.

I have no idea what my maxes are.. I have never tried to figure out. I can give an estimate though:

Squat: 170
    Bench Press: 145
    Deadlift: 175 based on my CURRENT weight.. but my 5 rep max was 177 before I took too long of a break. That 1 rep max would have been around 200.

Bentover Barbell row: 145
    Standing Military Press: 90.

All of these (except deadlift) are not my real 5 rep maxes because I do 3 sets of them, so I assume I am doing 90-95% of my 5 rep maxes.

These are weak, yes. But that's why I am working out. I got a few skulls to crush in a year or two.

13. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

You squat 170 and bench press 145 lbs? I wouldn't call that weak, that sounds average. I do quite a bit less than that but I'm not a regular lifter and I'm just starting back.

14. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

How hardcore are you when you work out, Absane?

Ever heard of Max-OT? I'm sure you have. I work on the same principles as that regimen, but I conform to their actual specifications pretty loosely.
    www.ast-ss.com... you can find stuff on there about Max-OT if you desire.

15. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well I think (not 100% sure) that a person should bench their bodyweight and squat 2x their bodyweight. Average numbers, probably. But, to be considered "in shape" you need to have the "Big 3" in check (those being bench, squat, and deadlift).

How hardcore? I do 1-hour three times a week. I am not sure if I posted my workout or not. It's a beginner's program that works VERY well. Some times I will do HIIT on the treadmill or just jog around the track.

I've heard of it a bunch of times, but I have never actually looked in to it. I was thinking that after I run my program into the dirt and I can no longer progress, I'll start HST. I'm fairly certain I can run my current program up to a squat of 220 or so. By then I will be ready for a hypertrophy workout (though I have gained some size on this workout... mostly in my legs, lats, and pecs. The legs are obviously from the squating.. but the lats and chest come from my constant working of these muscle groups via pull-ups, dips, and the rows.

Here is my current program:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift
    Pull-ups
    Dips
    Weighed decline sit-ups
    Weighted hyperextensions

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Bent-over barbell rows
    Pull-ups
    Dips
    Weighted decline sit-ups
    Weighted hyperextensions

Every workout day, I do the opposite Workout I did the last time. So this week, I did B on monday, so today I do A. Friday is B and next monday is A.... etc.

It's worked very well for the 2 months or so I have been working out with it.

For the pull-ups and dips, I follow a program that has me run 5 sets and each set has a number of reps I must do (it was designed by some guy in the USMC that he used to max out on the tests). Every week one of those reps gets increased by 1.

So, this week for pull-ups I am doing the following reps: 2, 3, 2, 2, 1. Next week I think it will be 3, 3, 2, 2, 1 and then after that, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2. The point of it is to increase my total reps to reach 20 in one set. However, by the time I get to 10-12 I am going to make them weighted pull-ups.

16. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Wow. You are very intellectual and organized about how you work out. Heh, I'm terrible. Basically my workout works something like this:.

Monday:

Muscle group=back
    First, I do my warm ups for about 10 minutes or so, just doing the same exercises I normally, except with half the weight.

Then I hit it really hard. I do chin-ups... first set I do about 15-17. Then I rest for 3 minutes or so and then I do barbell rows at about 100 lbs, and I do those until failure (I can't do anymore). Then I rest a few minutes and do more chin-ups... but then I can only do about 6. Rest about 3 minutes and then do dumbell rows at about 80 lbs per dumbell. I do those until failure, which is about 8 or so. Rest a few minutes, do more chin-ups.

So I cycle between chin-ups and other back exercises in a sort of superset fashion. I stop when I feel like I've had a good workout and my muscles feel sufficiently stimulated. Usually my workouts last something like 45 minutes and I do a total of 5-6 supersets (for back). But the main thing is, everything I do, I do until failure, for maximum stimulation. That's the benefit of stimulating one muscle group per day. Hardcore concentrated muscle stimulation.

Tuesday:

Muscle group=chest
    Normal warm-ups. Half weight for 10 minutes.

Then I go hardcore. I do 3 sets normal flat bench press (185 lbs), then 3 sets incline (175 lbs) and I do some other weird cable exercise that cuts my lower pecs pretty well, since we don't have a decline (fucking school gym). All of these I do until failure.

Wednesday:
    Muscle group=legs and miscellaneous

This is the day I do squats. I warm up with about 135 lbs for about 10 minutes.

Then I go hardcore, but not as much as the other exercises, because you have to be cautious with squats. I've seen girls on the basketball team try doing squats 225 lbs. It was fucking hilarious. They were like, "You can do it!" and then the girl lifts up the bar with no problem, she squats down, can't pick up, and then falls down--it was hilarious. It's like they think they're men, or something.

I do 225 lbs on squats to play it safe. I do it until I don't think I can safely do another one, which is usually somewhere around 8.

Then I do other weird miscellaneous exercises you might not ordinarily think of, like forearms and calves. Then it's back to the squats.

Thursday:
    muscle group=shoulders

Warm-ups--half weight for 10 minutes.

Then I do seated shoulder dumbell press. Right now I'm doing 75 lbs dumbells (total of 150 lbs) and I can normally do about 7 or 8 of those per set.

I wait a few minutes to rest and then do seated-bentover rear lateral raises--which is an awesome exercise. Really good for the rear delts, it's fucking killer though. Hurts a lot, there's a lot of burn that goes with it.

I just alternate between those exercises, mixing up with a few others on occasion.

Friday:
    muscle group=arms

That day I just work out my biceps and triceps directly. The reason I do arms Friday is so they had Thursday and Wednesday to heal and recuperate a little from being worked out on Monday and Tuesday from the back and chest exercises. This way they at least had a little rest and now they're ready for more abuse.

A lot of my routine is based on intuition and experience, knowing when I've had enough and being sensitive to my body to realize what works and whatnot. I don't really quantify everything and it works pretty well. But I probably should start working at it more like you. Measuring my body and all that stuff.

This is an awesome resource for exercise executions:
    http://ast-ss.com/training/exercises/eow-intro.asp

17. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well they say that doing a split like yours won't work for 90% of the population in terms of "the most effective workout type" for that person. And since most of those that workout focus more on isolation than compound lifts, it seems reasonable that most of them are doing it wrong. Have you ever tried compound lifting as the core of your program? The human body is designed to work as a whole.. something isolation workouts don't target.

For the best results, it's said to do 3 compound exercises for every 1 isolation.

I like the program I am on because doing squats first thing releases much more HGH than just about any other exercise (maybe the deadlift does more). And when you make it the first workout you do, you can put full effort into it.

By the time I finish, my body is taxed. And the next workout, I always have a new plate to load up on the bar. However, you could attribute this to noobie gains, too.

Oh, and today I finally hit my short term goal on the bench press! I finally got 3x5 with 135 pounds.. that means I can bench the 45 plate now

When I get a 45 plate on my standing military press, I'll be one happy man. I know on friday I'll hit the 45 on my bent over barbel row. I'm not to shocked by that. It's just the bench press has given me so many problems the past two months.

But as I said, you should check into lifting with compound movements as your primary workout. If you write things down like I do and keep measurements written down, you learn very quickly how well your body responds to a workout and if you need to tweak anything.

If you don't already, you should get an account at forum.bodybuilding.com and keep a workout journal. If you were to look, you could find mine up on there.

Oh, one last thing... don't squat on the smith machine. It's a peice of shit garbage. Free weights.. 100%

18. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Finally got the motivation to find out my stats.

12/6/2006

Weight: 190 lbs
    Height: 6' 1"
    Body fat: 12.4% +/- 1.4 (measured by the fitness guy at my gym with those calipers--not those stupid electrical impedance thingies)

Right upper arm: 15.5 inches flexed
    Left upper arm: 15.5 inches flexed

Right calf: 16.25 inches flexed
    Left calf: 17 inches flexed

Right thigh 23.75 inches flexed
    Left thigh 24.5 inches flexed

Hips: 37 inches
    Waist: 34 inches

Chest: 42.75 inches

Man, and I thought I had large thighs. I guess they kinda are compared to my waist and hips, but not quite to the same extent as yours.

I find it weird how much larger the muscles on my left size are. The calves and thighs... is that right? I've heard that one side is supposed to be stronger than the other, but I didn't realize it would manifest in such a difference in size. And it's not an instrumental error either. I checked it repeatedly thinking I did something wrong. Nope. When I snowboard I do regular (not goofy). Did you get anything like that when comparing the left to the right?

19. infoterror Registered Senior Member

You forgot:

Group Anal Bukake (3 reps)

20. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well muscle size is not linear with strength. Muscle strength could be purely dictated by neural efficiency while muscle size could be purely fluid buildup.

If you are right-side dominate... your left side might be slightly larger because you put more force on with your right side... and because of this, your right side experiences less size gains because it focuses more on building strength.

I have something weird going on.. which I am not sure how to explain.

The last few weeks my right leg and right have have felt "different." What I mean is they feel like they are in a constant pump state... from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep. When I flex them they are no different in size... they just feel heavier. When this started happening, I noticed a brand new stretch mark on my right bicep. No clue.

But also when I do my squats, no matter how much I try putting a lot of the weight on the left side, I keep getting most of the work done (or at least felt) in my right leg.

Any ideas?

21. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I've never experienced what you're talking about... with a muscle feeling as though it's in the "pump state" as you put it throughout the day. After I do isolation exercises on my arms, they feel pumped for several hours after the workout, however, that's the extent of it. I can't really help you out with that. I'm assuming you're working out at the gym at your college. If so, there's probably a fitness/health expert guy there. I'd talk to him/her about it.

As for the squats... I don't really know about that either. I think I may have that problem in fact too. Except I feel like there's more work being done on the right side... so. I guess I gotta fix that.

If you say you're trying to do more weight on the left side, but it feels like always more work is being done on the right side, maybe your right side is just weaker. Perhaps there's a way to test that hypothesis. Like you could get on one of those horizontal leg extension machines and put it as some arbitrary weight like 100 lbs. and then just push the weight with one leg as many times as you can. Then you can do the same thing with the other leg. That should be able to tell you whether or not one leg is stronger than the other.

22. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well tonight when I get around to it, I am going to use the leg press machine we have that allows me to work each leg at the same time but each on their own... I'll probably put 150 pounds on each leg and go for as long as I can... I'll see which leg gives out first. However, I am betting that my right leg is the strongest.

23. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I gave the leg press a shot. I was quite suprised and now I am more confused than ever.

I can rep and max with the same weight for each leg... but my left leg seems to have more power.

What I mean is that I loaded up 135 lbs for each leg and I could rep to failure in the same number of reps for each leg, but my left leg almost always pushed faster.

Weird.

Though I don't know why I couldn't rep out 180 pounds of each leg. I can squat 170 so with my weight (190).. that's 360... so 180 for each leg.

I don't know.