Nature or nurture

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Buddha1, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

Ophiolite, for all your "big and interesting words", you are only partly right.

Yes we did start with discussing the genetic vs environment aspect. But that discussion is more or less over.....and we have agreed upon the basics. There is no reason why the issue should not be discussed in its wider aspects.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

There is part of your problem Bhudda1. The 'big and interesting words' are a way of capturing meaning rather precisely. Such a tendency is notably absent from most of your hypotheses. Perhaps if you made more of an effort to define clearly the terms you are using and the scope of the proposed discussion at the outset you would get more meaningful discussion and fewer slings and arrows.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Happeh Registered Senior Member

Don't bring me into this big man. You said you were coming to my house for proof of my theory.

Then you ran away and I never heard from you again.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

My apologies Happeh. The two of you crazies blend into one in my mind. I have amended my post to what I meant. Your problem, Happeh, is far more severe than B1's. He has some chance, with proper care, of leading a normal life in the community. I see no such future for yourself.
    I am still waiting to hear which city you live in. If you posted an answer I missed it. Go ahead. Inform me again.

8. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Good translation.

Yes, you may ask for translation here as nurture might has just changed the nature's/ancient/logical or layman's language with somewhat similar meaning. That is what, which might have happened with old, ancient, persisting with great repute, knowledges---our ancesstor's or inherant properties..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Had we previously covered a mountain upto some hight, but looking at other side of mountain which looked to us bit easy or green, stepped down and started afresh climbing again on same mountain?

Probably we were at 75% level previously, may be about just 25% level now. No doubt,we discovered the new path which has different look, to reach the same destination--our acheivement.

Do you want to understand it in nature or nurture?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Kumar, regretably none of the above made any sense to me at all. I would welcome a further attempt on your part to clarify your meaning.

10. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Yes possible. Anyway sorry. Let us disucuss about unnaturalities mutated/seated in our phenotype due to our nurture (obiously not to count natural nurture).

11. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

OK. Can you begin by defining what you mean by an unnaturality.

12. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

The professor is not to be taken seriously. He just comes to bide his time, likes to instigate and criticise people he doesn't agree with (or doesn't want to agree with), and on topics which he neither understands, nor care about --- and just when you start getting serious about him, he leaves you high and dry, tugging at your hair.

I know just another one like him. He is called Avtar!

13. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Bhudda1, butt out. Kumar appears to be capable of a proper discussion.

14. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

15. Tnerb Banned Banned

I don't know if this means anything to the continuing of the thread. But I will tell you guys an example of nurture, destroying MY nature. My question about this and it's relation is is this on topic.

First I believe that nurture, if this is what you're saying, can destroy a persons nature as is natural. Being brought up in a home where your dad is a humiliated egotistical mouse, can destroy ones life.

Sorry, maybe I don't understand

16. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Few definitions; Where there is no inherant sense of right and wrong; not in accordance with or determined by nature; contrary to nature. In violation of a natural law, It may be unnatural for a child to know and take interest in "death".

Let us also clarify definition of "nurture:-

Nurture: The act of bringing up: The sum of environmental influences and conditions acting on an organism.

Ok.

17. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Yes good thought.Time effect and past deed might have made anyone to be borned anyone in certain environment--by natural selection---is nature. Parents, society or otherwise making anyone alike as you mentioned is by nurture. Natural and social factors thought look different still interrelated with each other due to time factor.

18. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Are people living in societies under modern lifestyle and environment, mostly "natured" or "nurshed"???

19. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Kumar - I do not find your definition of nature very helpful or relevant to a discussion on biology. Nature relates, as I noted before, to the genetic heritage of an organism. Nurture relates, as you have defined quite well, to the environmental influences on the organism.
    Why is a specific individual 6' tall? It will be a combination of nature and nurture. His nature i.e. his genes will determine the range of height he may achieve. His nurture will determine what height within that range will be achieved.
    People in modern societies are thus mainly influenced by nature. They are people: not crabs, or papaya, or rhodedendrons, or e.coli.

20. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Why we then discuss nurture seprately?

Phenotype changes can also be "environmently effected". If we count those "environmently effects" as natural then nothing can be unnatural. Whatever we are doing and getting today, our children may get something of that . Would you also say that our children got that naturally?