Naturally-occurring substance proves effective against deadly skin cancer in laborato

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by arauca, Apr 10, 2013.

1. arauca Banned Banned

Gossypin, a flavone originally isolated from Hibiscus vitifolius, has been shown to suppress angiogenesis, inflammation, and carcinogenesis. The mechanisms of these activities, however, are unknown. Because nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB) is associated with inflammation, carcinogenesis, hyperproliferation, invasion, and angiogenesis, we hypothesized that gossypin mediates its effects through modulation of NF-kappaB activation. In the present study, we demonstrate that gossypin (and not gossypetin, an aglycone analog) inhibited NF-kappaB activation induced by inflammatory stimuli and carcinogens. Constitutive NF-kappaB activation in tumor cells was also inhibited by this flavone. Inhibition of I kappa B alpha kinase by gossypin led to the suppression of I kappa B alpha phosphorylation and degradation, p65 nuclear translocation, and NF-kappaB-regulated gene expression. This, in turn, led to the down-regulation of gene products involved in cell survival (IAP2, XIAP, Bcl-2, Bcl-xL, survivin, and antiFas-associated death domain-like interleukin-1 beta-converting enzyme-inhibitory protein), proliferation (c-myc, cyclin D1, and cyclooxygenase-2), angiogenesis (vascular endothelial growth factor), and invasion (matrix metalloprotease-9). Suppression of these gene products by gossypin enhanced apoptosis induced by tumor necrosis factor and chemotherapeutic agents, suppressed tumor necrosis factor-induced cellular invasion, abrogated receptor activator of NF-kappaB ligand-induced osteoclastogenesis, and vascular endothelial growth factor-induced migration of human umbilical vein endothelial cells. Overall, our results demonstrate that gossypin inhibits the NF-kappaB activation pathway, which may explain its role in the suppression of inflammation, carcinogenesis, and angiogenesis.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

If you're going to copy and paste from articles, link to the original article, or I WILL ban you for plagiarism.

I'm giving you the opportunity to rectify this before I take further action.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arauca Banned Banned

What do you mean plagiarism ? I put a piece of information and you are complaining , do you have a chip on your shoulder ?

It is very obvious the article have been copied , I am not pretending the article is mine . Y just forgot were I found it but I will find it for you

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arauca Banned Banned

Yes Sir. here it comes

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17332240

Gossypin, a flavone originally isolated from Hibiscus vitifolius, has been shown to suppress angiogenesis, inflammation, and carcinogenesis. The mechanisms of these activities, however, are unknown. Because nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB) is associated with inflammation, carcinogenesis, hyperproliferation, invasion, and angiogenesis, we hypothesized that gossypin mediates its effects through modulation of NF-kappaB activation. In the present study, we demonstrate that gossypin (and not gossypetin, an aglycone analog) inhibited NF-kappaB activation induced by inflammatory stimuli and carcinogens. Constitutive NF-kappaB activation in tumor cells was also inhibited by this flavone. Inhibition of I kappa B alpha kinase by gossypin led to the suppression of I kappa B alpha phosphorylation and degradation, p65 nuclear translocation, and NF-kappaB-regulated gene expression. This, in turn, led to the down-regulation of gene products involved in cell survival (IAP2, XIAP, Bcl-2, Bcl-xL, survivin, and antiFas-associated death domain-like interleukin-1 beta-converting enzyme-inhibitory protein), proliferation (c-myc, cyclin D1, and cyclooxygenase-2), angiogenesis (vascular endothelial growth factor), and invasion (matrix metalloprotease-9). Suppression of these gene products by gossypin enhanced apoptosis induced by tumor necrosis factor and chemotherapeutic agents, suppressed tumor necrosis factor-induced cellular invasion, abrogated receptor activator of NF-kappaB ligand-induced osteoclastogenesis, and vascular endothelial growth factor-induced migration of human umbilical vein endothelial cells. Overall, our results demonstrate that gossypin inhibits the NF-kappaB activation pathway, which may explain its role in the suppression of inflammation, carcinogenesis, and angiogenesis.

8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Er, what's your point?

9. arauca Banned Banned

My point it is a piece of information on a substance that is in a plant as cotton , and perhaps cotton clotting might be good to wear , because it contains Gossypin

10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Aha, thanks. You had not mentioned before that it can be found in cotton, and I'm afraid my knowledge of botany wasn't enough for this to be obvious to me from the name of the compound. Do you think this substance will still be present in cotton garments, given the extensive processing that cotton undergoes?

11. arauca Banned Banned

I don't know , The present time industry is very effective to extract chemical components out of the fibers . But perhaps as the knowledge in the fiber industry become aware and the Gossypin perhaps can be applied to a garment as a coating it might serve its purpose