Natural selection has taken up shape

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Gaurang, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Gaurang Registered Member

Let's start with small pox, it killed a lot of people. Then came black plague and now finally it's HIV. New diseases have been constantly coming up. Ebola, Dengue, Malaria etc. It's a result of increased human population which nature wants to balance. Some people get suitable mutations (like CCR5 delta 32 which protects us against AIDS and some other viral diseases). Thus this part of human population is safe and rest wipe-out. Every time we save ourselves nature gives us an even stronger blow. Thus the only way to survive is evolve .

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

That's generally how evolution works, yes. I don't think there's any "nature wants to" anything, though. Nature isn't an entity.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gaurang Registered Member

Nature has to keep its balance( its just like energy changes state but keep constant ) similarly nature also keeps constant so if you pressurize nature it goes against you

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

What makes you think this?

Really?
    There's a metric to define this?

How do you "pressure" nature?

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

That is statistically true, but where Energtic imbalances are usualy resolved in their quantum state, Natural inbalances work often on a much longer time scale of the balancing system, which may take thousands of years, allowing (pressuring) species to adapt or learn the diversity of the new environment. If they don't they must migrate ot face extinction.

Take the brainless slime mold, it can solve mazes and design transcontinental highway on maps in a few hours which takes years of study by our best designers and engineers.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/slime-mold-smarts.html
    and
    A slime mold solver for linear programming problems
    and

This is good stuff.

Note the fractality of the process.

Of course the slimemold is extremely limited in its mathemnatical abilities, but the principle holds true for all organisms. Perhap "indicator species" are those least or most affected by a changing environment and as I understand it indicator species are howing signs of "stress".

This may result in the evolution of new branches of those species or fade into extinction.

It is the analogy of being cast out from paradise.
    Of course our superior mind allowed us to leave paradise of ignorane voluntarily. But we still live in paradise and to persist in the rape and insult to the Mother of all life, is not only disrespectuful, but speak of hubris and ignorance of Natural Laws. There is a mathematical function named: Action<-->Reaction.

Unbalance the mathematics in the global ecosphere system and bad things happen ON A GLOBAL SCALE.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    sculptor likes this.
  9. Gaurang Registered Member

that's what I wanted to say. Right from time of civilization we have been focusing on technological development and haven't evolved so this makes me think about natural selection running

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

not true

11. Gaurang Registered Member

prove it then

12. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

You made the claim so it is incumbent on you to support your claim.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Evolution never stops.

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Given that you didn't answer my questions but decided instead to make a factually incorrect claim (actually more than one) I do hope you're not expecting to be taken seriously.

15. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

The fact that new people are being born every day pretty much proves that evolution is still ongoing.

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

True, but there is also an ongoing process of devolution. Moreover, evolution itself is neutral and can result in good or bad outcomes. The good tends to survive, the bad, we seldom hear about because the poorly adapted organism goes extinct.

17. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

What's "devolution"?

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

There is no objective difference between evolution and devolution.

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

21. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Don't dis' the mold.

It's the only culture some people have.

22. Gaurang Registered Member

well I wanted to know his point behind falsification ofthis

23. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Look up lactose tolerance. But then, somehow, I suspect that won't be an example of evolution - according to you. At which point our discussion can devolve into arguing over definitions and the normal woo spiral...

exchemist likes this.