Natural Medicine as opposed to pharmaceuticals

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by thinking, Feb 11, 2009.

1. thinking Banned Banned

is not the Natural way to health better than pharmaceuticals ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

yah. not as powerful, not by la long shot. facts is facts.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. thinking Banned Banned

what is not as powerful ?

just to be clear

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It depends. For some people that might have adverse reactions to synthetic pharma, natural medicine may be a good option.

8. thinking Banned Banned

its not just about adverse reactions

Suzanne Somers had Breast Cancer , she cured herself with the Natural approach

pharma should only be used as the last resort , only

read her book it is an eye opener , its more for females , young and older but males can also learn from her book , I know I have read it

trust me you will never look at pharma the same and you won't look at Natural healing the same

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

really? Suzanne Somers?

Oprah clip

...Suzanne Sommers, 62, went on Oprah on Thursday and told the world how she injects hormones into her vagina, rubs some more on her arms and takes 60 pills every day, all in an attempt to live as long as humanly possible.

She begins with rubbing a syringe of estrogen on one arm, every day. For two weeks out of the month, she rubs progesterone on the other. After that, she injects estriol vaginally, which she graciously spared the audience from watching.

She can’t start her day without taking 40 pills, 15 of which she downs in a thick, yellow smoothie her husband makes for her (she says it’s the secret to their marriage!). Then she ends her day with an additional 20 pills at night before bed....

10. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Define natural ?

Modern pharmaceuticals are very specifically designed to work with natural processes that take place within our bodies - is that somehow any more unnatural than say using a plant or animal; extract that might or might not work in a similar way?

11. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Death is perfectly natural. Bacterial infections are perfectly natural. Unnaturally refined and synthesized antibiotics can prevent the natural progression of a serious bacterial infection leading to death. Unnatural is fine by me.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Staying healthy to begin with is the best way. That requires keeping fit, eating correctly and staying clean, of course while you are doing all this there are always those amongst us that don't necessarily pull out all the stops for keeping fit, eating correctly or staying clean and this is where illnesses can be spread.

Age is also a factor, the young are more likely to be healthier compared to the old, who will likely require supplements in their diet or have to work harder at keeping their health.

As for what I guess you are referring to as "Homeopathy". It's suggested that a persons immune system is greatly effected by stress, this means you can get ill from being stressed out and not sleeping properly (In fact lack of sleep seriously lowers the immune system). Some people are comforted by a "placebo" effect of Natural ingredients that are posed as medicines, I guess you can say they put Faith in what they believe and this lessens their stress level, thereby strengthening their immune system. This "placebo" effect is the main reason why Medical practitioners don't rate homeopathy very highly since the effect could easily be created just from lessening stress and the natural ingredients might actually do more harm than good. (for instance don't take Hemlock

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

Pharmaceuticals are by no means safe either, for the most part studies are conducted in the form of trials however for the most part they are never extensive enough either because of the time needed for a real study to be conducted or because of the costs implied. (Considering pharmaceuticals are an industry where a lot of companies make money, they don't want to hang about if they can make money off a new discovery and sometimes undercut the testing period for profits. Bean counters have been known to suggest in these instances that a "few out of court settlements is worth bypassing the test period for considering the money they can make." which incidentally is not the most Ethical business practice)

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It is rather interesting that some of the medicines I take help me in one area but hurt me in another area. As an example I take Lithium for my Bipolar disorder and it affects my liver so much that every 3 months I must take a blood work up to see how my liver is doing. So while I'm being helped in my mental areas my gastrointestinal area is being devastated!

14. thinking Banned Banned

just read Suzzane's book

I'm not saying it has all the answers

but as a guy its definitely worth reading

really

15. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Firstly, Suzanne Somers received a mixture of conventional and "natural" treatments, so you cannot rule out that the surgery and radiotherapy she received were responsible for the remission of her breast cancer rather than whatever woo-woo "natural" cancer treatment she received.

Secondly, this is an example of confusing cause and effect. Sometimes people are lucky and their cancers go into spontaneous remission. This is rare. Suzanne Somers is likely to be one of the rare examples of a person whose cancer went into remission despite the woo-woo "natural" treatments she was receiving, thus giving the erroneous impression that it was the woo-woo "natural" treatments that were the cause of the remission. For every Suzanne Somers whose cancer went into remission whilst taking woo-woo "natural" treatments there will be 100 people for whom "natural" cancer treatments have no effect and who die much quicker than would have been the case if they had untaken conventional medical cancer treatments.

16. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Agreed.

And as Oleander has pointed out, Somers openly confessed on network TV that she was a "pill junkie." And that's someone I most certainly would not trust for ANY kind of helpful health information!!

Besides all that, this "Natural" business is a farce right on the face of it. Labeling something 'natural' is supposed to somehow equate with 'better' is just sheer nonsense. A falling tree is quite natural but I wouldn't advise standing in it's path. Also, there are numerous plants that quite naturally produce poisonous substances - like members of the nightshade family, poke berry, poinsettias and many, many others. But being natural MUST make them healthy for you to use, right?

Balderdash!!!!!:bugeye:

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What's "Natural"?

If both "natural" and "pharmaceutical" methods involve taking pills, for example, then the only difference I can see is that one method has been rigorously scientifically tested and approved, while the other's efficacy is doubtful and in many cases untested. The "value" of "natural" remedies is often based on anecdotal evidence rather than clinical trials. And far too often, when clinical trials of "natural" medicines and therapies are actually conducted it is found that the "natural" medicines are no better than placebo.

18. thinking Banned Banned

but have you read Suzzane's book " Breakthrough "

( Eight steps to wellness )

( life-Altering secrets from todays cutting-edge Doctors )

apparently not

19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Nope, and never will. No one with any brains is going to take that pill-dropping bimbo's advice on ANYTHING. The book is only for idiots.

20. eddie23 information sponge Registered Senior Member

Man has survived tens of thousands of years with out these new medicins. Yes some are good, but for the most part the ones coming out these days have more side affects than should be allowed, and are not healthy for you.

21. thinking Banned Banned

exactly

22. thinking Banned Banned

read-only

you lose

23. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Nope. The stupid, stupid people who bought her book are the loosers.