Native North American Fruit

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Orleander, Mar 21, 2010.

1. RickOsmon Registered Member

Ortelius World Map of 1570 depicted no fewer than 21 major coastal cities in North America (above the Rio Grande) and he had no knowledge of the cities along the major inland rivers or on the shores of the Great Lakes.

Cahokia, located on Mississippi River in (now) southwestern Illinois. Most C14 tests indicate 200 AD to 1000 AD. Featured double palisade, copper industry, sustained population > 20,000, at times may have exceeded 50,000, more than lived in London (or Teotihuacan, for that matter) at the time, largest earthwork in North America (Monk's Mound has volume greater than Great Pyramid at Giza), artifacts from raw materials that came from Yellowstone, South Carolina, and from Gulf coast. Materials, some at least, that make up Monk's mound came from sources hundreds of miles away (bibliotecapleyades.net/arqueologia/monks_mound.htm). No, they couldn't possibly have been capable of civilization or long distance trade.

Poverty Point, Louisiana, along the Mississippee River, some C14 dates to 7,500 bce. Seven concentric earthen dikes originally, some now cut by river course changes, estimated 4 million anthropomorphic artifacts, estimated max population 50,000. Trade goods included raw copper from Upper Michigan, Indiana blue flint, Yellowstone obsidian, mica from both Illinois and South Carolina, lead from Iowa, and grizzly bear claws from parts unknown. No, they weren't capable of long distance trade, surely.

Fort Ancient Culture (usually described as "Hopewell"), Ohio. Geometric forms (circles, squares, etc with perfect astronomical alignments) in earthworks, a wide road that stretches 130 miles and straight as a die, conch shells, more Yellowstone obsidian, more Upper Michigan copper, more mica from both sources (including what was a single sheet over five feet across at time of burial), indications of iron furnaces being operated. No they couldn't have traded either. Or performed geometry.

Shawnee Fort, Ohio. Vast water works (dams, irrigation ditches, locks, canals, possibly even aqueducts). More discoveries each dig season.

Chaco Canyon, The people built monumental public and ceremonial buildings in the canyon. The buildings were massive, multi-storied masonry structures of rooms, kivas, terraces, and plazas. The largest building-Pueblo Bonito-is estimated to have contained over 600 rooms and rose four, possibly five, stories high. Hundreds of miles of formal roads radiated out from the canyon and linked Chaco to distant communities. Surely they were neither civilized nor capable of long distance trade (and they drank cocoa).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Welcome to sciforums.

Too bad they were already wiped-out/dispersed when the Spaniards arrived to conquer the native populations.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Where did you find this information? It attests to trade between the Olmec/Maya/Aztec civilization and the not-exactly-Neolithic people (no agriculture) north of the Rio Grande, a link I have never before seen suggested.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Osage Orange. But they are inedible.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I was wondering about North American fruit that grows on a tree. Many listed here have been nuts or berries on bushes/shrubs.

Did teh Osage do anything with the Osage Orange? Doe sit grow where they are (we have them here in MI)

9. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

"Fruits of North American origin" from Wikipedia

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yeah, I know. How many are from a tree and are not a nut?

11. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Saskatoons are fucking incredible. Uber food.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yep, but they don't grow on trees

13. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

Okay, so I eliminated all the berries, then I assumed fruit-sounding names (such as the Mayapple) are fruits, and finally I checked the ones that I couldn't tell by name, such as Maypop, Muscadine, Pawpaw, Toyon, etc.

• American Mayapple (Podophyllum peltatum; Berberidaceae)
    • American persimmon (Diospyros virginiana; Ebenaceae): Traditional for desserts and as dried fruit.
    • American plum (Prunus americana; Rosaceae
    • Beach Plum (Prunus maritima; Rosaceae)
    • Cocoplum (Chrysobalanus icaco; Chrysobalanaceae)
    • Ground Plum (Astragalus crassicarpus; Fabaceae), also called Ground-plum milk-vetch
    • Maypop (Passiflora incarnata; Passifloracae, traditionally a summer treat.)
    • Pawpaw (Asimina triloba; Annonaceae, not to be confused with Papaya (Carica papaya; Caricaceae), which is called pawpaw in some English dialects)
    • Prickly pear (Opuntia spp.; Cactaceae) used as both a fruit and vegetable depending on part of plant.
    • Southern Crabapple (Malus angustifolia; Rosaceae)
    • Texas Persimmon (Diospyros texana; Ebenaceae)
    • Toyon (Heteromeles arbutifolia; Rosaceae)
    Wikipedia calls the Toyon a "pome", but also says it's only 5 to 10 cm (ie, ¼ to ½ inch) across and "berry-like".

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

thanks Cifo. I'll work my way through this list

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The name of the tree comes from the Osage tribe, which lived near the home range of the tree, and the aroma of the fruit after it is ripe.
    http://www.gpnc.org/osage.htm

Apparently, the seeds are edible.

16. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

The master list with nuts and vines on it . I didn't see Acorns . I was sure they were here before the white Man also Strawberries are said to be indigenous to Montana. I got to check that see what comes up on the old google -rama

Got to go Later

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

At least a dozen, from that list.

More, if your notion of "tree" is flexible down to large shrubs, odd palms, etc.

18. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Seeds are edible.
    The fruit seems to repel spiders.
    Mainly useful as a living fence b/c the tree is a very hard wood, with big spiky thorns.

I *think* the mulberry trees that grow here are not Chinese imports, but a native variety.

Did anyone get passionflowers?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have to try again to collect some wild plants this year, last year the ones I got didn't make it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011