Native American "Indian" Removal: Are Our Actions Justified?

Discussion in 'History' started by Jeff Martin, Jan 11, 2011.

1. gmilam Valued Senior Member

As much of one as anyone else.

My ancestors came to Texas when it was still part of Mexico. Some of them traded with the Commanches. Some of them fought to help Mexico gain it's independance from Spain. They later fought to help Texas gain it's independance from Mexico. Later they fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War.

Me, I was born here.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Let me get this straight.

You think that Columbus should have sailed back and told Isabella: "Sorry your majesty, the country we found looks great and there is plenty of open land, but damn it, there are already people there and they are so primitive that if we go there our culture is bound to displace them. Maybe we should look further south, I've heard rumors of a place called Antarctica that could be available"

Arthur

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

NO.

End of discussion.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There were great civilizations in what are now Mexico and Peru. They had already achieved the Bronze Age. Obviously being "primitive" had nothing to do with it.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm getting close. Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia article on Native Americans in the U.S.
    What I found previously had much more detail about the virtual equality of women in some Iroquoian tribes.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  9. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Well yes it did.

The Spaniards initially took on an Inca army with 100 soldiers and 62 horses and muskets and won.

Bronze age skills were no match for European level weaponry.

Arthur

10. dbnp48 Q.E.D. Registered Senior Member

Superior military technology was only one factor. The Incas were in the midst of a civil war, the Spanish had native allies, the Incas thought the Spanish were the viracocha cuna ("gods") from their legends and earlier Spanish arrivals had started a smallpox epidemic. Here's a link with the details:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_conquest_of_the_Inca_Empire

11. Eaglefeather Registered Member

I’m full blooded Cherokee.

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I see you haven't lost your knack for making idiotic statements.

there is a difference between what is needed for expansion and what can be justified. the quest wasn't not whether they should have but whether they were justified the simple answer is it is never justified in taking land and destroying cultures simply because one want something.

plus your comment is odd based on the isabella columbus relationship.

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I see your bring the defense of Israel mentality here where those defending themselves againts one agression need to be elimenated because they are being violent. guess what people defend them selves when you try and take their lands and their lives.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I guess I'm cursed with an appreciation for both sides of the story.

15. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

No your cursed with not giving a fuck about the consequences and results of getting what you want or think you deserve and such actions through out history that would end in a benefit for you.

by the logic you and adoucette are using I am perfectly justified in holding up Wendy's because I want a burger

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It is if you are starving.

17. dbnp48 Q.E.D. Registered Senior Member

Isabella I of Castile funded all of Columbus's expeditions. What other relationship do you think they had?

18. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

the implication was that columbus was an agent of spain in a spanish founded mission. he wasn't yes the royals of spain funded it but he was not doing the trip for spain.

ity also implies is mission goal was to take new land for spain it wasn't it was a choice.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  19. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I wonder if your love of justifng a want would continue if it was you being hurt by it. Your logic is if you want something and claim to "need" it your justified in taking it. congrats on thinking thuggery is moral

20. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Right, I always think it's funny when posers on the internet act like they are mother Theresa.

Why is you never find these people in real life?

Arthur

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Needs and wants are quite different, aren't they? Why insist on conflating the two? When some Indian comes by the farm you built and cleared with your own hands and kills most of your family, I would call taking a more militant position about them a need, not a want.

22. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I'm not. your argument is. you claimed they european settlers needed the natives land which I suppose you could argue it true but its was a need to achieve a want. I want to now why if want something in your mind why are you entitled to what ever is needed to achieve that want?

the settlers wanted more land and you said well they could do more with so they were justified in taking it.

23. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

actually mother Theresa was kinda of a cunt and you do that that whole nose in the air thing all the time so get the fuck off your high horse.

I'm not acting like I am holier than thou. I just saying we(european people) were justiifed in taking land simply because we wanted it.