Nation Building

Discussion in 'History' started by Roman, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Roman Banned Banned

Has the USA ever successfully invaded another country, deposed a dictator or an authoritarian regime and instituted a stable democracy?
    Has the USA ever instituted a stable democracy in a non-western nation, especially one without a history of democracy?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Insanely Elite Questions reality. Registered Senior Member

Japan is all that comes to mind.
    Sure is alot of propping up 'bad guys' though.
    Or, sadly and recently, deposing Democratically elected heads of state.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Germany? Italy?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Roman Banned Banned

Germany and Italy?
    Germany had an electoral system by 1850.
    Italy elected fascists to parliament a generation prior to WWII.
    Italy had a limited democracy system prior to the 20th century.

8. Roman Banned Banned

The Philipines are stable, too. However, they're a debtor nation, economically screwed.

9. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

But a fascist regime was toppled by US/Russia right? Then occupation, then new Germany(s).

But still, they were taken down by the US and a new start was undertaken right? Perhaps in both cases there was more government in place than in the current situation, so I thought I'd ask if you think they qualify for consideration.

Ah, I see. You meant to satisfy the whole "without a history of democracy" part. Right. My bad.

10. Roman Banned Banned

I think it's awefully noble that some people think spreading democracy everywhere is a good thing. Unfortunately, I don't think democracy can happen unless the people both want it and can handle it.
    The democratic nations of Europe had enjoyed centuries of prosperity compared to Africa and China before WWI. It would seem that democracy requires a good deal of middleclass wealth and education to gain a popular backing. Not that democracy won't bring prosperity, but as they say, it takes money to make money.

There seems to be a pattern, doesn't there? Countries who are 'ready' for democracy become democratic, whether or not they're helped with it. France, for instance, spent 10 years in civil war, fighting off multiple monarchs to become a democracy.

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

You ask where they've tried it and been successful, but it hasn't really been tried before has it?