nasty sport accidents

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by weed_eater_guy, Nov 20, 2004.

1. phlogistician Banned Banned

Broke my left leg snowboarding. Tibia and Fibula above the ankle, where the strap secured my boot the the bindings. Broke Tibia at an angle for about 2.5 inches, and Fibula had a 4 inch spiral fracture.

Getting my boot off hurt like hell. I spent 5 months in plaster, as there wasn't enough bone by the ankle to get a screw in. Leg set nearly straight.

I still snowboard.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

The worst thing about it must be that the scar would form in a very prominent position. I needed scar revision surgery, and you can just about still see it. More of a problem for a woman, who can't hide the scar by growing a beard...

@Phlogistician: I'm not sure I would have the guts to continue the sport after an accident like that! You must be genuinely courageous, well done.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

I have to admit I was a bit scared when I went back, but skiing and boarding kind of get under your skin, and if you're hooked, you're hooked. It's not about courage, but addiction, really.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I agree. Despite several accidents (none that broke anything... I still don't understand how I didn't break anything) I have skied in the mountains. I even went heleskiing once (one of the most amazing experiences of my life). It is all about addiction.

8. chuck u farley Registered Senior Member

I've had worse in my eye.

9. chuck u farley Registered Senior Member

I've had worse in my eye.

10. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

i was just wondering, how in hell do you eat with both wristes broken, must look hilarious.... and excuse to go in face first

11. chuck u farley Registered Senior Member

Hi goofyfish:

It will feel better when it stops hurting.

12. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

ILikeSalt,

They have HELESKIING in ontario? or is this in the rockies.

Another potentially bad accident--
    I was going off this one jump at a place called 'wintergreen' (now closed as so many others in the past two years) and this idiot snowboarder was sitting UNDERNEATH! I kind of landed on him but purposely wiped out on my side..then he got angry at me...

13. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

How the Hell do you get multiple fractures in your eye? Did someone pluck it out..?

14. Caper Registered Member

I broke both of my arms and my nose in separate, football related accidents.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  15. robtex Registered Senior Member

I use to kickbox and one time one of my training partners threw a head kick at a guy and the guy ducked for some reason and swallowed his two front teeth. I know a guy who got his ear cut off with a sword during a live blade drill but somehow got his shoulder out of the way. I saw a guy get his ankle broken in a wrestling meet in college trying to spin out of a hold.

16. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

damn you robtex, hard to follow that
    i broke my collerbone playing badminton (i ran into the net - how was i meant to know someone had tied it at the top and bottom)
    broke an arm on a ramp blading
    broke a finger playing football

17. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Two more stories:

1) This track & field coach was was supervising the shotput event (my personal fav). One guy threw the thing, and he couldn't get out of the way in time. His skull collapsed and he died instantly (and no, I wasn't there.)

2) Wrestling: This one house-painter was reminiscing to me about his high school wrestling times. He was pretty big (6'6",) and built. So this one guy came up to him, said something that he shouldn't have, and next thing you know, big painter guy puts him into a suplex position and drives him straight onto the hardwood gym floor, breaking his collarbone or something.

(I want to add that he's a smart guy, not somebody who likes to cause pain for no reason )

18. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I hope you don't mind if I re open this thread. I just came across it.

When I was about 9-10 I remember trying to learn to ride my bike with no hands. One day I was doing really good and was going really fast. I am not sure
    what happened but the next thing I know I swerved into a parked car on the road. I flew off my bike like an idiot.

This is when I was older,

I remember having a wipe out on a wooden tobaggon. We decided we would go down the ski hill instead of the tobaggon hill because it wasn't big enough. Well we got going at a pretty damn good speed. We didn't realize at the bottom was a big dip in the ground. We found out soon enough and bounced in and back out of this ditch. I smashed my chin on their shoulder ( I was sitting in the back) I thought I had broken a tooth. Banged my nose (felt like it was broken) and broke my sunglasses. They were still on my face, but all crooked. We rolled off and tried to stand. They took one look at me with the crooked broken glasses on and were laughing their head off.

I hurt someone else while playing baseball. I was up to bat and I could really hit a ball back then. I smashed the ball right into the pitchers forehead. She fell to the ground, and had the imprint of the ball on her forehead. It immediately starting swelling up. That was the biggest goose egg I ever saw. It took a lot for me not to laugh because I really couldn't stand this girl. Yes it really was an accident.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  19. Roman Banned Banned

Some of the soft parts inside my spine are now on the outside

20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

How are you doing these days? This new medication the Dr put me on is really working well.

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Cracked a rib and made a lovely jagged cut on my left upper arm in a mountain bike crash. Still got that scar.

Dislocated left knee at kickboxing. How it happened, I have no idea, I launched a kick at someone, and the joint just pulled apart.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

have they tried bone cement yet? We have a company here (Stryker) and they do a lot of spinal stuff.

23. Roman Banned Banned

I have good and bad days. The worst part is not knowing if I'll ever get to do stuff again.

Have you seen the Ultimate Fighting video of the guy low kicking someone and having his leg break on the other guy's leg? It just flopped around like rubber. Really awesome.

No surgery yet. I'm thinking more and more about it, though. I'm thinking I'm going to try acupuncture to manage the pain.